any help welcome - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > any help welcome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might try enrolling her in a self-defense class, geared towards women. Specially if they teach self defense in a home scenario or if she is by herself. The reason being, most of those types of classes will introduce the students to options for self defense - (ie - weapons). Although the classes we taught, we got down to the basics of empty hand. But, we did teach quite a bit about being 'armed', what types of things you could be armed with, etc. The classes normally included a trip to the range, where they got a firearm's safety class, and first hand experience with loading/unloading, clearing jams, aiming, gun control, and firing several different types of firearms, from .22's to 12ga. While some did not like that particular part of the class, other's were very interested. So it's hit and miss. But we did find that involving a few women trainers helped quite a bit, as they could relate to some of the fears better than a male. We also changed the classes a bit, by bringing in guest speakers (victims of violent crime), who made a huge difference. It was expected, but not to the extent, that it changed the attitudes in the classes. I think gun sales and CCW's went up quite a bit after that class. But to be fair, so did the sales of pepper sprays, stun guns, etc.

You might try your local PD, to see if they offer classes like that. Or some of the women's leagues, local gun ranges, etc.

Good luck,
Slo

Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Chip:

Run her off.

What will be the next thing that is a "it's me or (fill in the blank)". When one person absolutely will not compromise in a relationship, that relatonship will not last long.

Get out now before it becomes too expensive!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #13

We are planning on a camping trip this summer where I have talked about fishing some of our meals and she isnt upset by that. I have also been talking to her and she seems ok with the idea of me having one if i rent a locker at a local range and keep it there. Her ex was a absolute Di*k to her and cheated and minorly abused her so i think that she is afraid that if I have a gun, then if we fight i would use it violently, which i would never do. She also doesn't like that I carry a folding knife on my pocket, but she is getting use to it. I think I might be able to make this work. I dont think that running her away is the answer tho, in a relationship you have to reason and work things out.
-Larry the Cable Guy

Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip102 View Post
in a relationship you have to reason and work things out.
She has to use reason, too.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3269 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
She has to use reason, too.
Reason...Woman

Mutually exclusive terms often times.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Reason...Woman

I can't believe I posted that! I hope a few people get a laugh out of it, because it's too late to edit it now!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Dave, as a married man, I understand completely.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You are a single man. Get the gun, see what happens.

Personally, if someone gives me an ultimatum like that, I do it. Not for spite, but to keep my dignity, which she apparently doesn't want you to have either.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Reason...Woman

Wait, we're not all like that!!

Well, except when it comes to motorcycles, that it. But I didn't actually tell Scubie that he couldn't have a motorcycle. I only said that he could have a motorcycle or me, not both at the same time. His choice. If he had had one before we were married, that would have been different.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3269 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
Wait, we're not all like that!!

Well, except when it comes to motorcycles, that it. But I didn't actually tell Scubie that he couldn't have a motorcycle. I only said that he could have a motorcycle or me, not both at the same time. His choice. If he had had one before we were married, that would have been different.
Hence the "often times" part. There are a few good ones out there. The others do not interest me in the least.

Newest Threads

Ria