Any former or active military please help!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any former or active military please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any former or active military please help!

I'm 16 years old, and I am 100% sure that i'm going to enlist, and i'm sure it will be marines, but none of my friends and family think I should go with marines. They all say I should go into one of the other branches but I feel that marines are the only way to go. I wanted to ask the members here that are former and active military, of all branches, why you choose whichever branch you went into, and if you could do it over again would you still go into the same branch, or choose a different one? Please, all help is appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I'm a retired GySgt that's a E7 in the Marines. Each branch has it's own unique challenges, but all the pay and benefits are the same. It depends on what type of person you are and what you want to do later in life. I loved my time in the Corps and miss it a lot since I haven't been retired a year yet. If you don't like to work hard join the Air Force. If you want to do something in the nuke field go Navy. In the Corps you will work hard regardless of your job, get paid the same as other service members but wear the baddest dress uniform to pick up all the chicks go Marines

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #3

Liked 2062 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

I was Army. But I was stationed at Camp Pendelton for a while. That is a marine base. I was also at Ft. Lee for a while. There are several different branches there as well. We all made fun of each other on a regular basis. But the truth is I would be proud to serve with any of the branches. I would simply talk to different recruiters about the specialties you are interested in.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The Air Force will actually treat you like a valued human being. It take good people with high intelligence to keep those planes in the air.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
The Air Force will actually treat you like a valued human being. It take good people with high intelligence to keep those planes in the air.
So I guess you were Army..lol. "takes" is the correct word, but I'm just a dumb Marine...lol

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 04-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #6

Liked 2062 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Um, pretty sure the Army, Navy, and Air Force all have planes. Not sure about the Marines.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #7

Yep we have C-130s, F18s and Harriers.

Member:

Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 865 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 4541

I was Army. I joined them over the others for the simple fact that my grandfathers and godfather were Army. Plus, the Army recruiter had a sense of humor I could relate to.

As far as deciding which branch to join, that's something only you can do. We can all tell you the merits of our chosen branch, and why we think you should join it instead of another, but that would be based mainly on opinion, not fact.

Like Silverado said "It depends on what type of person you are and what you want to do later in life" -- very true. Depending what you want to do after you get out of the service, really depends on what job you want to go for in the military, and that would limit which branch you go into. You want to do something with medical, go Navy (all the doctors I have ever had used to be Navy doctors, except for when I was in the Army -- Navy docs are better). You want to go with computers or electronics... Navy or Airforce. If you don't like the water, well, the Marines wouldn't be a good choice (nor would the Navy, but that was a given).

If the job doesn't really matter to you, but you want something steeped in Honor, Pride and Tradition, I say go with the Marines (yes, this is coming from a former Army Sgt). They also have better looking uniforms.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
...but wear the baddest dress uniform to pick up all the chicks go Marines
OOORAH GUNNY!

I enlisted in the Corps, loved every second of it. But I'm not a "grunt"/0311. I enlisted into logistics/0411 instead, but got stationed with the grunts in 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines(3/2, V32) in Camp Lejeune. As soon as I checked in, a week later we were deploying to Okinawa, Japan. Got to do some traveling around the globe, goto combat, spend some time on a Naval ship going to and from Kuwait and Iraq. It was a great experience, if I could've re-enlisted I definitely would have, just did my four and got out honorably.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

I was army and i loved every minute of it i would still be doing it but they made me retire medically i was out of Ft Hood Texas did my tour in iraq and went and got shot up so i cant play army anymore but i think any branch you join will be the best choice in your life

image-2808337517.jpg

Thought you marines would get a kick out of this hahaha