Any dog lovers? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any dog lovers?

View Poll Results: Which one
Golden Retriever 16 59.26%
Border Collie 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7664 Times on 4606 Posts
Likes Given: 9581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
you're spoiling the surprise
No, I'm not. I have had two Border Collies. I got the first one from someone who wanted to own "The Smartest Breed" but the dog drove them nuts and they punished it to 'get it to behave'. She was a very good dog when given the chance to be good.

The BC I have now is from a shelter. It's not fair to the dog that the owners get "surprised" then give the dog up or abuse it because they didn't know what to expect.
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Meet Tucker, on the right (Golden) and Sunny, on the left (who knows?). Tucker came from a local breeder and Sunny is from an animal rescue shelter. Two of our best decisions ever.

image-1360328252.jpg

(Hope the photo shows up ... first time doing this from the phone)

Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

Shag,

Man that is tough! They both look like great dogs. It would be hard for me to choose between either one of them if I was in your shoes. So here is a recommendation that I have always used. I believe getting a dog is a spiritual thing. As when I went to a breeder (And by the way! God Bless you for adopting one who needs a good home!) to buy a baby lab to replace the one who just died. Too big a hole in my heart when Angel passed and I had to get it filled. So in a couple of days I drove from Tennessee to Illinois to see about getting a new one! From a breeder a friend of mine had purchased his labs from. Or should I say, to be adopted by one of them. That is where the spiritual thing comes in. I believe the dog should select you when you are looking for a great and lasting friendship and experience. So I would say which ever of the two has that spiritual bond with you in your heart when you see them and they see you. Not to bore you with my story regarding the new lab "Baby Girl is her name and she is now 6 yrs. old. But the lady asked me which one of the two litters she had and what pup did I want. I stated I do not know! I may not buy any but we will have to see! I am expecting for one of the pups to bond and show signs of pick us! So I told here to let both litters out (about 20 pups). She almost did not think I was serious. They ran around for a second and then one went to my wife and wanted her to pick it up. She did and then she let it down then the pup ran around and came right over to my chair and wanted me to pick it up. So that was were the bond began. I told my wife after picking the pup up as it gave me a kiss on the chin. This is the one let's see what we have? It was a little female! And we named her Baby Girl since that was Angel's nick name. Baby is my 5th lab. But both of the ones you are looking at I am sure would be wonderful. The Golden will be a little calmer when it gets older. But the Border also a great companion and also very smart. They are just a little higher strung. Here is a picture of Baby Girl today. No longer a puppy and she is a pointing lab 87#. The first pointing lab I ever had. Her Dad was a field trial champ and a big lab. I think that is where she gets her size from and Mom was not little. They are bred that way. Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Maybe you need BOTH!

babygirl-chair.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #24

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
No, I'm not. I have had two Border Collies. I got the first one from someone who wanted to own "The Smartest Breed" but the dog drove them nuts and they punished it to 'get it to behave'. She was a very good dog when given the chance to be good.

The BC I have now is from a shelter. It's not fair to the dog that the owners get "surprised" then give the dog up or abuse it because they didn't know what to expect.
I think it's fairly obvious my comment wasn't to be taken literally. And not all dogs of a certain breed have to possess negative characteristics. There are similar stories about Australian Shepherds, but our experience with them is very positive and we've had 3 over the last 20 years. A breed may be prone to a certain behavior, but most intelligent dogs learn quickly right from wrong. Right now, both of ours bark at the neighbors dog a little more than we'd like..something we tolerate a bit and remind them not to bark. They behave themselves in the house alone. They never dig and were quick to going outside when nature calls. They don't escape and when alone outside they stay in the yard without a fence. We are not dog experts, but we raise them similar to how children should be raised...we try to reason with them and become their friends......Dogs love to please their friends.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #25

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

....and to the OP. These two breeds, Golden Retrievers/ Border Collies, are very different. GR's are very passive and like to lay by the fireplace. Border Collies do like attention. About the only thing they have in common is both have even temperaments.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #26
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I have a Border Collie. You better be very prepared to exercise that dog like crazy. If you don't it will pace, whine, dig holes, chew things, excessively bark, etc.
Yep. Grew up with them. If you're not home during the majority of the day and they don't have something to keep them occupied or at least crated, DESTRUCTION! Awesome dogs, but they need to have a place to run or you need to spend time with them to burn the energy and keep their brains engaged every day. But you will not be disappointed in them at all. They are so smart. I was at the dog park a few years ago with my Newf now. This lady would bring her BC there almost every day and that dog ran circles for the better part of an hour without getting tired.

Both great choices for a buddy. Usually though, the dog chooses you

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #27

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I work nights so I'm home from 0900 till around 2300. Also there will be a 2 year old lab and possibly a 6 month old Aussie Shepard living with us. I'm fine with either being really energetic or not since I'll take either one running 2 miles every day with me and to the dog park at least once a week over the summer

Old 05-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1003 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 413

One of our weenies...Molly!

image-332261206.jpg  

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #29

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

photo-2-.jpg

heres my chocolate lab i already posted this pic so you may have seen it before she loves the truck though wants to go everywhere.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

dang Shag! too hard a choice for me to make after seeing them both from the links you posted! i'd have to get both of them!

seriously though, both look like they would make great companions. if you are moving into a house, maybe think about getting both. they would be great companions for each other as well. just an idea.

good luck with whatever choices you make and kudos for adopting a dog!