Any Commercial Contractors? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any Commercial Contractors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I'm a self employed electrician and I can tell you this, working for yourself is hard. You alone are responsible for estimating, meeting with customers, bidding projects and billing and collecting money as well as completing the work!!! Actually going to work and doing the job is the easiest part by far. All the other stuff sucks ..... and meeting with customers to discuss the job, billing, collecting and bidding/estimating are all what they call "unbillable hours". So if you are prepared to sink tons of your free time into your business with no extra compensation ..... have fun! Being your own boss is great too though!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I'm a self employed electrician and I can tell you this, working for yourself is hard. You alone are responsible for estimating, meeting with customers, bidding projects and billing and collecting money as well as completing the work!!! Actually going to work and doing the job is the easiest part by far. All the other stuff sucks ..... and meeting with customers to discuss the job, billing, collecting and bidding/estimating are all what they call "unbillable hours". So if you are prepared to sink tons of your free time into your business with no extra compensation ..... have fun! Being your own boss is great too though!
I see those so called unbillable hours as part of my overhead. Now I can't get crazy with my pencil, but I budget so much for administration when bidding a project. Granted working in the Gov sector means 10 times as much paperwork.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #13

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I only wish I could bid in my unbillable time. Tradesmen are losing bids by hundreds in my area .... its a tough market right now