Any audiophiles out there? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any audiophiles out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
....and Porsche makes great cars
He was replying to the OP's question. What don't you understand?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #22

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Just read the thread. For your budget this sony system is very nice. Has wifi, works with netflick, Pandora, hulu, and a few more. Also this system is putting out 1000w. It sounds amazing and is set up like a ps3. The picture quality is great. Everytime im watching a movie i feel like im in the theatre. Very good system. I paid $228 for it and i couldnt be happier.

forumrunner_20121203_000602.jpg

forumrunner_20121203_000611.jpg

forumrunner_20121203_000620.jpg

forumrunner_20121203_000633.jpg

Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #23

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Also does 3d, prolly wont use it but id rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #24

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
He was replying to the OP's question. What don't you understand?
I believe the OP stated he was on a $2-300 budget.

Bang & Olufsen is synonymous with high end audio equipment and expensive, like Porsche is to cars. Saying it is 'great stuff' is one thing, I was also waiting for more...like personal experience with their products.

I had to look it up. They don't like listing prices on the web, The only B & O I could find was a Home Theatre system for $21, 000

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 12-03-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6129 Times on 3035 Posts
Likes Given: 6509

Onkyo TX-NR616- about $400 and its a good machine, they make one in the 290 price range but its 5.1 not 7.1. The pioneer pro Equivalent is $1200!

All those names and many more were so awesome, fixed them all, loved most of them from the inside out! They are no longer the names you can trust for the most part, just names that have been re-branded onto high production disposable crap. The TV Shop I learned my trade in had 6 full time Technicians, a couple counter people and two owners in the mid 80s repairing 300 to 400 pieces a week, today it is one old guy in a nasty garage barely piddling a living out. Mostly, now a-days, when its broke, its garbage!

Exceptions to the rule abound but most of those are strictly the Old Audio Devices, not much in the last 20 years has been made thats worth putting much into unless it is an 1800, Lab Gruppen or Audiophile piece but get ready for the drain on your wallet if you can find someone who can fix them! Macintosh anything is worth repair, if you dont want to do that, EBAY it, someone will buy it even if its for parts! Almost any old Tube Amps and most Tube receivers are still highly desirable. Older Speakers with Foam Speaker Surrounds that have disintegrated can be repaired pretty reasonably as long as the voice coil and cone is still undamaged.

Rule of Ohms and Amps/ Receivers-

You can run a higher Ohmage Speaker on a Lower Ohmage Amplifier safely but not the reverse! Im not saying it wont work, I am saying it will toast the finals in your amplifier, either quickly if you push it hard or over time if you just bake it mid volume. Their are impedance matching transformers that can be used to adapt virtually any speaker with any amplifier safely. Some will even let you add multiple zones on a single speaker output (no, you cant just daisy-chain speakers together unless you like the smell of melting silicon).

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-03-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #26

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Onkyo TX-NR616- about $400 and its a good machine, they make one in the 290 price range but its 5.1 not 7.1. The pioneer pro Equivalent is $1200!
The Pioneer VSX-1122-K runs about $420.00. Personally, I think these Home Theatre recievers are way to complicated and they are throwing these things out there before the technology is refined. If you get one that performs as advertised you are lucky. They just keep adding connection on top of connections...ie; Component Video, Optical, HDMI.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 12-03-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6129 Times on 3035 Posts
Likes Given: 6509

Havent played with any of the B&O stuff in years, not sure if they are a real company anymore or just a brandname, Marantz used to be awesome, now they dont make a good boat anchor, not heavy enough! 7.1 with a descent THD and some power at $300 is not an easy find new and I wouldn't buy it used period. U-Sig, The Sony stuffs awesome for a whole theater in a box, not necessarily what one would call a head unit per-se and the OP does have descent Speakers already so better to invest in a good Motor at this point, not a whole car.

I have had issues with the Pioneers Recently and even the Elite Line, the amps are not as durable as they should be for the price and they are tough to operate from a user view. Still an Onkyo fan for the mid priced home theatre.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #28

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=Ultimate_sig;1036682]Just read the thread. For your budget this sony system is very nice. Has wifi, works with netflick, Pandora, hulu, and a few more. Also this system is putting out 1000w. It sounds amazing and is set up like a ps3. The picture quality is great. Everytime im watching a movie i feel like im in the theatre. Very good system. I paid $228 for it and i couldnt be happier.

I don't think you understand the equipment I have. KEF speakers are some of the worlds best reference speakers, and Velodyne is one of the absolute best subwoofers. Speakers I do not need. I just need a decent AVR that will allow them to breath.

I ended up with a Yamaha RX-V665 which will allow my current setup to blow the doors off my house. And, as others mentioned previously, it has plenty of HDMI inputs even though I didn't originally require them because my TV has enough inputs. But having them on the receiver is a plus. And for $180 delivered, I don't think I could have gone wrong. Now I just have to wait for the big brown truck.

12FRETTER