Any audiophiles out there? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any audiophiles out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made some mistakes in my post. My TV has three HDMI inputs which is one more than I need. (Satellite and Blue-Ray). The receiver doesn't need to process video, it needs to process audio. With any Surround AVR, there are ample digital audio inputs. So even though S-Video inputs on the AVR are not HD, I won't be using any video inputs at all since my sources will go direct to the TV. The audio contained in the HDMI cable is the same digital audio signal as from the Digital Audio Out signal from the same device. So if I connect the HDMI from the Blue-Ray (for instance) to the TV, I'll watch HD video and listen to it's digital audio through the TV speakers. If I want surround, I'll also hook the Digital Audio Out of the Blue Ray to the DVD Digital Audio Input of the AVR to listen to the digital audio of the source while watching it's HD video.

Now, with that explanation out of the way, who feels like I am still making a mistake by not requiring HDMI on the AVR? That is not sarcastic, it's an honest question. Also, is the upgrade to 7.1 from 5.1 a big enough deal to worry about? Does it make enough of a difference that I should make sure I get it now? That Onkyo link above has me thinking, but a non-hdmi, 5.1 receiver opens up all kinds of inexpensive possibilities.

Thanks to all for your input. Input--ha.

12FRETTER

Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #12

By the way, I ran across one of these on my local Craigslist. It seems to be able to handle what I need, but take a look at the rear panel and make sure I'm not nuts. One note, I am getting Dish Satellite installed this coming week, and the pictures on the rear panel of the Hopper shows an Optical Audio Output. My Blue Ray has both Optical and Digital Audio Outs, and this Yamaha has two Digital Audio Ins and 3 Optical Audio Ins, so it should work for all my needs. But am I missing something? Thanks again.

12FRETTER

Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

your plan will work... right up until you run out of inputs to the TV, or you buy a new device that either has analog or HDMI outputs, which was what forced me into the new receiver

Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

Thanks, Partdeaux. I know what you mean, and I get your muted tone of caution. Since I'm not exactly on the leading edge of technology, I'm ok with those parameters for now. By the time those limits are exceeded, there will, I'm sure, be even more to consider upgrading and more technologies to learn about and plan for.

12FRETTER

Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #15

Liked 1169 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post

First question, whats the display (TV), does it have HDMI's already, if so, you dont necessarily need them on the receiver, input all your AV sources to the TV and either take the Toslink or line level Audio-out (Variable preferably) and feed it into your ss input (Easier to use than a system switched through the receiver for most anyways.
Each TV is different but most tv's will not output anything more than stereo even through Toslink, when the signal enters the TV it is downgraded to stereo.

I agree with Partduex, HDMI may not be needed now but it might be in the future and it will let you have a smaller cable footprint. The only disadvantage is that if you run HDMI through your receiver the receiver must be on the pass the signal through, at least that's how I have always seen it.

Personally I can't tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1. I would save the extra $$ and buy less but better quality speakers.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #16

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Btw, if your "amp" doesn't have vacuum tubes, its a toy. marantz!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6330 Times on 3160 Posts
Likes Given: 6823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Never quite understood this. My Monitor Audio RX6 (english made) which i regretfully have sold, ran nominal 6 ohms. I ran the Yamaha at 8 with them. Loudspeaker impedance is not a single number, not sure how they determine nominal impedance.

By the way 12fretter ...The TV's they put out now have two receivers. Analog and Digital. But the analog one they throw in typically cheap and sucks and dang near unwatchable. Keep this in mind when thinking HDMI. They analog viewing will be horrible on your brand new TV should you be getting one anytime soon... but the digital is first class.
Nominal is a more accurate measurement of true impedance, not resistive but an active measurement. As long as you dont pound the 6 ohm load on a receiver that is rated at 8 ohms, your OK, just wouldnt run 4 Ohm speakers on an 8 ohm amp/ receiver, you will toast the receiver.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #18

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Harmon Kardon and Nakamichi are probably the two best I have ever owned.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Bang & Olufsen makes good stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #20

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Bang & Olufsen makes good stuff.
....and Porsche makes great cars

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.