Anthem screw up - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Anthem screw up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

My problem with her is simply that she butchered our National Anthem trying to turn it into some sort of American Idol sound byte - shows NO respect at all...

Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

And I can understand that point.

However the National Anthem hasn't been the "National Athem" as written in quite some time. It has been a very liberal interpretation as far back as I can remember watching big sporting events.

Someone has to add colorful music (Jimmy Hendrix) or they have to stretch out lyrics to show their vocal skillset (Whitney Houston) or they flat go out there to be a bitch and butcher it on purpose (Roseanne).

Someone earlier said that some blame lies with Jerry Jones, and while I am not ready to assign blame to him specifically, SOMEONE from the control side of the house should have had this conversation:

"Yes, we would like your client, singer "X", to perform Our National Anthem at Superbowl 45".

"Yes, we would like to take that contract, our singer is interested".

"Great. This will be hugely promoted, your singer will get great hype, but if they change one god damn word or try to make this into a personal showcase outside of the lyrics as written, you will be in breach of contract with a damage clause of "X dollars" - do you understand?"

Outside of Madonna, who did exactly that to Pepsi, I assure you that you would find someone with a good voice to follow the rules.....

Just sayin'

Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #33

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Someone has to add colorful music (Jimmy Hendrix)
Hey, Jimi Hendrix gets a pass........the others not!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Hey, Jimi Hendrix gets a pass........the others not!
I didn't say I didn't like his version, I did, but you have to admit, that is not what Francis Scott Key had in mind while sitting in that jailcell.

Just sayin'......

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #35

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

JD, what about the personal pride of being an American?

Why the hell should any real American need a legal contract to guarantee they won't butcher our National Anthem? My wife was working a super bowl party at the NCO club at Ft Jackson yesterday. She said there was a look of disgust on all the soldiers faces when this twit "performed". She may be the greatest singer on the planet but to show her remorse she should donate every penny she made to the Wounded Warrior Project...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-07-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #36

Dave - You are dealing with P-E-R-F-O-R-M-E-R-S. They have to mess with everything. That is how they are. They tweak, they customize, they change, they interpret. That is what they do.

In addition, how many "artists" are known for being stand up proud American citizens that aren't in the country realm?

I don't remember everyone bitching this bad about Jennifer Hudson lip syncing in 2009 or Beyonce' in 2004 and her "performance".

Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a person making their living as a musician, I'd like to weigh in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
She can't sing to begin with and the National Anthem is an extremely hard song to sing. If you want to dress the dramatic parts of the song up a little bit it doesn't bother me but at least know the freakin words.
Ever hear of rehearsing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Sorry guys, I don't think she's that great. True shes better then most in her field but that's not saying much.

I agree and disagree. Do I like her style of singing? Absolutely not. It really grates on my nerves. However, she can sing for one VERY specific niche (ie pop music). That has made her a popular and wealthy woman. Still do not care for her style, and I'd hesitate to call her a musician. A common joke among musicians is that "there are musicians, and then there are singers". IMO, she's a singer.

As for rehearsing, I couldn't agree more. She was wearing in-ear monitors. At the very least she should have been piped a proper starting note in her monitor. She actually bottomed out on the 3rd note ("Say"). And then she modulated so high that she literally was screaming the last notes because they had gotten far too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And I can understand that point.

However the National Anthem hasn't been the "National Athem" as written in quite some time. It has been a very liberal interpretation as far back as I can remember watching big sporting events.

Someone has to add colorful music (Jimmy Hendrix) or they have to stretch out lyrics to show their vocal skillset (Whitney Houston) or they flat go out there to be a bitch and butcher it on purpose (Roseanne).

Someone earlier said that some blame lies with Jerry Jones, and while I am not ready to assign blame to him specifically, SOMEONE from the control side of the house should have had this conversation:

"Yes, we would like your client, singer "X", to perform Our National Anthem at Superbowl 45".

"Yes, we would like to take that contract, our singer is interested".

"Great. This will be hugely promoted, your singer will get great hype, but if they change one god damn word or try to make this into a personal showcase outside of the lyrics as written, you will be in breach of contract with a damage clause of "X dollars" - do you understand?"

Outside of Madonna, who did exactly that to Pepsi, I assure you that you would find someone with a good voice to follow the rules.....

Just sayin'

Now, more to agreeing. The National Anthem, when sung for millions of people, should be sung to a point where anyone watching or listening can sing, hum, or just know how to fill in, say, the mic suddenly fails mid-song. Someone posted a video of a little girl singing at a hockey game, and her mic failed. What did the people do? Everyone INSTANTLY started singing along to help finish the song.

Now, IIRC Hendrix played the National Anthem at a rock concert. And in rock concert fashion, he did what he does best. Tore the snot out of it. What is the difference? He wasn't paid through the nose to perform it on the biggest television day of the year for millions of people. He chose to perform it the way he did, and it will forever be remembered.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, and that's cool. We are after all looking at ink-blots in time.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Meh.........

Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #39

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think you've all missed the boat on just how impressive the Black-Eyed Peas were, though.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I think you've all missed the boat on just how impressive the Black-Eyed Peas were, though.
Mmmmmmm, Fergie...... *drools*