Answers when somebody ask you why you carry - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Answers when somebody ask you why you carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

why do i carry a gun? same reason i carry a condom, it keeps little surprizes from happening.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #22

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I've had this discussion several times over the years, and the most committed response was because of karma. That carrying a gun begets attacks.
"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure, and in some cases I have, that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy." J. Cooper

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

for those that may have heard me says this before- please excuse.

Was taking granddaughter (then age 6) and her friend out for ice cream. As I was putting on my jacket, friend spotted my sidearm, asked little girl "Why does your Grampa have a gun?" Little one looked at her friend, said, "Silly! 'Cause he is the GROWNUP!"

Out of the mouths of babes. Grownups are responsible not only for their safety, but the safety of others. Some of the critters out there are NOT tame. They HAVE hurt people, and WILL continue to TRY to hurt people.

If asked why I carry a handgun, usually just say because the machine gun is in the shop for repairs. BTW, the 6 yr old cited above is now 13, member of NRA, Associate member of my range, has decided one of my Mossberg 152s is HERS- and loads her own mags, cleans her own weapon, pastes her own targets, and spots for me. Some boy has a BIG surprise in store for him down the road!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Ok, I'll bite on this oldie. The 2 reasons I carry: 1) It feels natural. 2) Because no matter how much you think you know, you just really never know.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #25

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Because I have a very large penus and need something smaller to remind me that there are lesser endowed people in the world.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Because I have a very large penus and need something smaller to remind me that there are lesser endowed people in the world.
LMAO....only you Opaww, by the way, all the blood must have rushed to your little head there while posting this, you spelled penis wrong.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #27

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I was kind of light headed and almost passed out from lack of blood every where else

Old 08-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

"To scare away those damned flying fairys! Ever since they migrated from California, they have multiplied all over the place! Look out by the park. It's a freaken fairy breeding ground out there!"

Usually by the time you finish this statement the person asking the original question has no more desire to talk to you any further.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #29

Default I might miss my opportunity

I was attending a training session with another agency. During break I got into a conversation with a guy about what and how we carry off duty. A rookie walked up and listened in, once he heard what we were talking about he looked at us like we were crazy. With an incredulous tone to his voice he asks "you guys carry off duty?" We both look at him like he is crazy and say "yes." With the same tone in his voice he asks "but why?" I prepared myself to tell him about how dangerous our world is, how we live where we work along with a laundry list of other reason. The other guy beat me to the punch and gave the best one line reason I have heard "because I don't want to miss the oportunity to shoot somebody."

Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My response is usually "Because I can." Nevada is a 'can carry' state (not open carry...yet) so I can carry anywhere that it's not prohibited, like federal buildings, banks and places actually posted no carry, like the shopping malls. I even got into a discussion with a Las Vegas Metro motorcycle cop, in a Mickey D's, about the pros and cons of a Sig versus a Glock (mine - Sig. His - Glock).

Usually, only the tourists seem to give any indication that they notice my weapon in the holster at my side. If any Nevadans notice, most don't give a damn one way or the other. At the grocery store, a couple got out of a car with the People's Republik of Kalifornia plates on it and they nearly s**t when they saw me with my holstered Sig. I noticed they watched me walk all the way into the grocery store before they started over to the Big Lots next door. I'm assuming they freaked out because any kind of open carry for Joe Average Citizen isn't common "over there."