Another thread about joining the military - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Another thread about joining the military

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Ok thanks brother, what are the pt standards? 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, mile in 6 minutes? Those are my goals.
I'll have to ask some guys tomorrow. I work with some Soldiers. I'm not 100% on their PT test standards. It's definitely longer than a mile, though. I wanna say 1.5 or maybe 2 miles. I'll get clarification for you.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
I was planning on making a career out of it. I have always thought about being a combat medic though.
Even if you make it a career, you have to get out of the military at some point, and you will still need a job after you retire. Military retirement is not usually enough to sustain most people with families. Maybe if you become an officer, maybe...

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #13

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First, my bona fides, Army 1969-71. Vietnam, 69-70. As others have said, physical and mental shape are essential, especially mental if your sights are set on Ranger or SF. If you're set on SF, you'll have to go airborne too. It's optional for Rangers, mandatory for SF. I was drafted, so the dynamic of recruiter's lying happened to others. Bottom line is, recruiters in any branch want to keep their cake job. Regardless what they might tell you or how many ribbons they're wearing, the last thing they want is to be reassigned to a line company and get deployed again. While there's talk about lowering Ranger standards, it hasn't happened yet. Ranger training is designed to and will kick your backside. My son earned his tab a few years back and I barely recognized him when we went to Ft. Benning for graduation.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6346 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 6837

Buddy plan wasnt always good for starting a completely new life anyways and thats what you will be doing. I never thought I would be Career when I joined, you do so that means you dont have to move a mountain in a day. I did 21 years but today with SFB's like BHO and others at the helm consistently, Im not sure I would do it again.

Understand that Ranger and SF are challenging for those fully prepared but so many that are prepared get booted for injuries, illness or failure of a single graded event. Myself, I would get the MOS I wanted first then seek the Advanced Warrior Schools otherwise you risk being reprocessed at the will of the Army to fit its needs not yours. You wanna be a Combat Medic, become one then go for the Guts and Glory training after your certified as a Medic.

Good luck, gods speed and keep your head low!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 156

U.S.M.C, 76-80,,,, I wish you well in your aspirations,, as stated earlier, excellent physical conditioning and using your intelligence as well as possible are extremely good points and from what I learned about the Army from my cousin who retired back in the 80's, there are several steps in training before you reach your goal. He was a part of the first advisors to Viet Nam in
1963 and went back for several tours of duty. He went through about every SF school and was in various billets and covert operations. He was definitely a " Lifer " soldier, and he always told me that no matter what,, you have to earn it when it comes to elite forces,, the wash out rate is very, very, high, as it should be, and he always advised his troops that did not make these elite units, to remember that they are still soldiers and can use the experience to make them better. In essence, most will not complete the rigors of this training, give it your best shot and I wish you well. My niece, who was greatly inspired by the above mentioned Sgt. Major, is currently an officer in the 82nd Airborne and returned not long ago from a tour in Afghanistan.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Best thing you could ever do !..................

When all else fails.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 321 Posts

How many push-ups , sit-ups can you do in two minutes ? How fast can you run a two mile?
Because to max out your pt you will need to do 70 push-ups , 78 sit-ups and run two miles in 13:00 min

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #18

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Thanks everyone! I have seen the shows 2 weeks in hell and surviving the cut, the only thing I am afraid of is getting hurt during the selection process. There were people that mess up their shoulders and and legs and feet and that's how they get dropped from the course. The special forces selection looks a lot harder than ranger selection.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 321 Posts

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I have seen the shows 2 weeks in hell and surviving the cut, the only thing I am afraid of is getting hurt during the selection process. There were people that mess up their shoulders and and legs and feet and that's how they get dropped from the course. The special forces selection looks a lot harder than ranger selection.
That is a chance you will have to take . Hell guys get hurt in jump school to.
You never think about what if I get hurt doing this, you just do and finish the task you where ordered to do.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #20

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
That is a chance you will have to take . Hell guys get hurt in jump school to.
You never think about what if I get hurt doing this, you just do and finish the task you where ordered to do.
What do you do when you get airborne training? HALO jumps?
It would suck if this happened

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.