Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Another thread about joining the military (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/another-thread-about-joining-military-95459/)

beastmode986 08-15-2013 05:11 AM

Another thread about joining the military

I have a few more questions I want to ask.
For those who have not seen me post, don't know my age, don't know what I want to do this first part is for you. If you saw my other threads just skip to the second part.
1. I am 15 years old right now and I have wanted to join the military my whole life. My ultimate goal is to be special forces. I want to join the army right out of high school(Yes, the army. Not the Marines, Navy, or Air force. No offense to those who have served in any of those. I have thought about it and I think the army is whats best for me.) If you plan on telling me not to join or to do something else like ''Be a doctor'' or ''You could die'' or anything like that its best you don't comment.

2. Now, I can get to the point of this thread. I am still trying to figure out a plan for joining, its actually stressing me out( I think to much sometimes.) My first plan was join as a ranger(11x op 40), do that for awhile, then try and go to selection for special forces. I have done some thinking since then though. My friend and I plan on enlisting together(Do they still do the buddy program?) we have known each other since pre school and have always wanted to enlist. I was talking with him about joining and turns out he wants to do the same thing I plan on doing but he plans on just being a ranger not going sf. So now I was thinking I could join as regular infantry along with my friend(I want 11b) then see if we can go to ranger school.
Questions

1. If we both join as infantry and there is still a buddy program, what are the chances of us fighting together/ deploying together?

2. How difficult do you think it would be for both of us to go to ranger school/get a spot to go?(I know you don't go to ranger school right away)

I will be posting more questions, just cant remember all of them now.
You guys are probably thinking '' ask your recruiter'', well I could but they like to not so much lie but ''stretch the truth'' because im young. I just want opinions from all of you, it does not need to be fact.

By the way, to those who served thank you for your service.

shadecorp 08-15-2013 05:26 AM

My time in the Army, 9/57-9/60.
While you are waiting to enlist,
Get as much education as you can.
Get in the best physical condition you can.
My buddy and I signed up together
was told we would serve together
after school
went our separate ways
Probably the best thing
Good Luck
Best Wishes

JW357 08-15-2013 05:31 AM

Being a Marine, I can't answer any of your Army specific questions.

But maybe what I do have to say will be useful for you.

If you really want to go SF, be sure you stay in excellent physical condition. Is this required? No, but it will certainly help. If you don't consider yourself fit right now, you have a few years, so get there.

In my opinion, what's actually more important than being fit is being intelligent. I see you can at least construct a sentence better than most average yahoos, so I'm assuming you're not a rock. It's important to be intelligent because SF type guys often operate in small teams with minimal oversight. You have to be able to think on your feet and adapt to dynamic situations. Being bright will help with this. Study hard, read in your free time, and just generally try to absorb as much knowledge as you can. Be inquisitive, meaning ask questions often, even if they might be "stupid." I believe most questions are not stupid, by the way.

In summary, exercise (especially run), study, read, ask questions.

Incidentally, when I enlisted almost six years ago, we were still doing the Buddy Program. Bear in mind that was during the big push to add a lot of troops, though. Currently the military is drastically downsizing, so things may be different.

Regarding your question about combat and war. Pay attention to worldly happenings. Egypt, Syria, Iran, North Korea, etc. Your chances of going to Afghanistan are very slim. President Obama has expressed he wants the war to be officially over by 2014. Will we still have some select troops there? Yes, of course. But they will be few and far between. Maybe a new war will start up before, or around the time, that you enlist. Pray it doesn't. While I have never deployed to combat, I have lost friends in Afghanistan. I can't imagine the pain of actually fighting alongside someone and having their lives ripped from them. Pray for peace, but prepare for war.

Don't ever, EVER, hope to go to war because of some machismo attitude, or desire to prove yourself. That is boyish and immature. I'm not saying you're like that, I'm just giving my thoughts.

I wouldn't stress too much right now about the specifics of what MOS you're going into. What you want to do can, and probably will, change two dozen times before you actually are old enough to sign the dotted line.

I wish you the best of luck.

beastmode986 08-15-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1335884)
Being a Marine, I can't answer any of your Army specific questions.

But maybe what I do have to say will be useful for you.

If you really want to go SF, be sure you stay in excellent physical condition. Is this required? No, but it will certainly help. If you don't consider yourself fit right now, you have a few years, so get there.

In my opinion, what's actually more important than being fit is being intelligent. I see you can at least construct a sentence better than most average yahoos, so I'm assuming you're not a rock. It's important to be intelligent because SF type guys often operate in small teams with minimal oversight. You have to be able to think on your feet and adapt to dynamic situations. Being bright will help with this. Study hard, read in your free time, and just generally try to absorb as much knowledge as you can. Be inquisitive, meaning ask questions often, even if they might be "stupid." I believe most questions are not stupid, by the way.

In summary, exercise (especially run), study, read, ask questions.

Incidentally, when I enlisted almost six years ago, we were still doing the Buddy Program. Bear in mind that was during the big push to add a lot of troops, though. Currently the military is drastically downsizing, so things may be different.

Regarding your question about combat and war. Pay attention to worldly happenings. Egypt, Syria, Iran, North Korea, etc. Your chances of going to Afghanistan are very slim. President Obama has expressed he wants the war to be officially over by 2014. Will we still have some select troops there? Yes, of course. But they will be few and far between. Maybe a new war will start up before, or around the time, that you enlist. Pray it doesn't. While I have never deployed to combat, I have lost friends in Afghanistan. I can't imagine the pain of actually fighting alongside someone and having their lives ripped from them. Pray for peace, but prepare for war.

Don't ever, EVER, hope to go to war because of some machismo attitude, or desire to prove yourself. That is boyish and immature. I'm not saying you're like that, I'm just giving my thoughts.

I wouldn't stress too much right now about the specifics of what MOS you're going into. What you want to do can, and probably will, change two dozen times before you actually are old enough to sign the dotted line.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, I am in decent shape as of now(I am nowhere close to fat) but am trying to get in great shape. I try to workout every day. I don't want to go to war, but during a time of war I would rather fight next to the guys on the front line then sit back and let everyone else do the work. I dont see any peace time in the near future though, IMO Obama is trying to wage war.

JW357 08-15-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986

Thanks for the reply, I am in decent shape as of now(I am nowhere close to fat) but am trying to get in great shape. I try to workout every day. I don't want to go to war, but during a time of war I would rather fight next to the guys on the front line then sit back and let everyone else do the work. I dont see any peace time in the near future though, IMO Obama is trying to wage war.

A good attitude to have.

The thing about Obama is a debate for a different thread, IMO. It could get out of hand, real fast.

In terms of fitness, if you can get to the point where you ace the PT test BEFORE you enlist, EVERYTHING will be easier for you. And by ace, I mean 100%.

Good luck to you. Keep your level of drive, and I'm sure you'll do fine.

sbeezy 08-15-2013 06:34 AM

I'm not in the army (yet), but when I went in to the office with a friend of mine they said they no longer do the buddy system. They told us that the chances of us going to the same basic at the same time were still really good, but not guaranteed in a contract. Then they just recently told us that we most likely won't go together. It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. The more I've thought about it the more I've realized it's probably for the best. I don't need someone distracting me or someone to worry about if they're falling behind. It may sound selfish, but in the end it's about what's best for you.

Like I said, I haven't gone yet (i will in about 1-4 months) so this is just my take on it.

The buddy system is, however, no longer an option.

rjd3282 08-15-2013 06:58 AM

First, don't let some recruiter tell you what they have open as far as mos. Tell them what you want and get it in writing. They've got slots to fill and they will lie to you so they can fill them. Second, you won't be in the army forever so choose a skill you can use in civilian life too. I know it sounds horrible to hear that they will lie to you, but they don't give a damn what you want. It's all about what they want and need. If they say they don't have an opening in the field you want, tell them to call you when they get one.

JW357 08-15-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282
First, don't let some recruiter tell you what they have open as far as mos. Tell them what you want and get it in writing. They've got slots to fill and they will lie to you so they can fill them. Second, you won't be in the army forever so choose a skill you can use in civilian life too. I know it sounds horrible to hear that they will lie to you, but they don't give a damn what you want. It's all about what they want and need. If they say they don't have an opening in the field you want, tell them to call you when they get one.

Along that note, if they show you numbers that show the MOS you want is actually closed, wait until the next October. The fiscal year starts October 1, and at least for the Marine Corps that's when MOS' open up.

beastmode986 08-15-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1335923)
A good attitude to have.

The thing about Obama is a debate for a different thread, IMO. It could get out of hand, real fast.

In terms of fitness, if you can get to the point where you ace the PT test BEFORE you enlist, EVERYTHING will be easier for you. And by ace, I mean 100%.

Good luck to you. Keep your level of drive, and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Ok thanks brother, what are the pt standards? 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, mile in 6 minutes? Those are my goals.

beastmode986 08-15-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 1335935)

I was planning on making a career out of it. I have always thought about being a combat medic though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeezy (Post 1335930)
I'm not in the army (yet), but when I went in to the office with a friend of mine they said they no longer do the buddy system. They told us that the chances of us going to the same basic at the same time were still really good, but not guaranteed in a contract. Then they just recently told us that we most likely won't go together. It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. The more I've thought about it the more I've realized it's probably for the best. I don't need someone distracting me or someone to worry about if they're falling behind. It may sound selfish, but in the end it's about what's best for you.

Like I said, I haven't gone yet (i will in about 1-4 months) so this is just my take on it.

The buddy system is, however, no longer an option.

Thats bad news :mad:, maybe its your recruiter? Even if they don't offer the buddy program I am still joining.