Another four-legged critter......

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Another four-legged critter......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Another four-legged critter......

Just found this little whitetail outside our front door. The mom must have dropped him last night and gotten scared away. We'll leave the gate open tonight and, hopefully, mom will come back for him. Otherwise, my wife will try and bottle-feed him.

baby-axis.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9854

Oh, mygod. How absolutely adorable. I'm sure the Mom will come back for him......unless she met a bad fate last night somehow.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could bottle feed it, fatten it up, and then.....ehemmm.....humanely euthanize it for a "higher calling"....

Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

It would be very fun to bottle feed but you also might consider a wild animal rescue group that is experienced on what to bottle feed a fawn. Not to mention it might not be so fun in the long run to have a tame deer around the house.

That being said.......I might be tempted to try to bottle feed it, too.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Shoot the darn thing now. They're just long legged rats. Besides, isn't there something like veal venison.

Edited for recipe;
VENISON VEAL CUTLETS

1 pound venison steak or chops
1/2 c. onion, sliced
1/2 c. fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, thyme or 2 T. dried Italian seasoning
1 qt water
2-4 T. salt
1 egg, stirred
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1-2 T. olive oil

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by hogrider; 06-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Lon

That is fantastic! If the mother is OK I am sure she is within hearing distance of the fawn. She should come back later to feed the little one. If you are like me. Even though I am an avid hunter I feed the deer, turkeys and wildlife here on my property in TN in the front yard. Therefore out of respect that is a Safe Zone. I will not hunt within a mile of the house. Since I normally like animals more than I like some people I have the utmost respect for wildlife and nature. If it stays I am sure the wife will spoil it and protect it. Certainly the biggest enemy would be dogs or coyotes since it looks like you also live in a wooded area.
Great Picture! Wishing the little one well!
Some of us do not have to always kill everything we see!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

I'm told by the wildlife experts here that his chances of surviving without mother's milk are slim, because it has an ingredient that can't be duplicated by humans. If we found they baby when he was a week old, his chance of survival would increase exponentially.

A few of our staff members are sure they saw the doe (mother) this morning. She probably got scared away by their vehicles and will come back. I hope.

I agree, Sniper, nature in this environment is a wonderful thing. I can hunt and shoot animals close to the house, but something like this is going to get every chance and every bit of help we can give him to survive.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I'm told by the wildlife experts here that his chances of surviving without mother's milk are slim, because it has an ingredient that can't be duplicated by humans. If we found they baby when he was a week old, his chance of survival would increase exponentially.

A few of our staff members are sure they saw the doe (mother) this morning. She probably got scared away by their vehicles and will come back. I hope.

I agree, Sniper, nature in this environment is a wonderful thing. I can hunt and shoot animals close to the house, but something like this is going to get every chance and every bit of help we can give him to survive.
How old do you think the baby is? It's the colostrum the baby needs from his mother to survive. I'm betting it's at least a few days old, don't you think? I don't think he looks absolutely newborn. If so, he may have had enough colostrum to survive. If there is a farm store nearby, they make 'artificial' colostrum for calves whose mothers had died during calving. I think this one will survive if his mother doesn't return.

I must say, I am in love.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Man the economy really sucks when the dear are dropping off their young at the door steps of humans. Just a few more Lbs and it will be ready for the grill

Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
How old do you think the baby is? It's the colostrum the baby needs from his mother to survive. I'm betting it's at least a few days old, don't you think? I don't think he looks absolutely newborn. If so, he may have had enough colostrum to survive. If there is a farm store nearby, they make 'artificial' colostrum for calves whose mothers had died during calving. I think this one will survive if his mother doesn't return.

I must say, I am in love.
That's it! Colostrum! Couldn't remember the word.

I think he was born last night or early early this morning. And the wife is now calling a vet and a wildlife biologist. We're gonna do everything we can to help him.

If he survives, we have a dog run in the back and that's where we'll keep him until he's old enough to take care of himself. We'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully I'll be able to show you photos in several months of the little deer following the wife around the yard!