Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Animals and the 2A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Wow. Now I have to do something, didn't realize it was that bad.

I wonder how difficult it would be to organize a shoot, gun bash, etc. to get the proceeds to these people, and getting a positive pro 2A image in the process.

I'm going off to contemplate now.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #12

Its that bad--worse even. That article was written in August. Foreclosures and layoffs have become a tidal wave since then. I sit on the boards of a number of nonprofs, and I am heartsick at what I am seeing. I have had people call me in tears, begging for help, and I have no suggestions, because I know the rescue I would send them to is already full.

And when you have no job--the choice whether to feed your children or the dog become obvious. Many people love their animals (I consider my dogs furry children), and they are distraught at having to give them up, but they have no other solution.

And our nonprofs donations and membership are noticably dropping off--for very obvious reasons. Horses are especially hard to place obviously due to their size and zoning/space requirements.

Many shelters have shortened the length of time they will keep animals before euthanizing (some have gone to only one or two days), and euthanasia clinics have started for large animals--an example is the story below:

Horse Rescue Offers Low-Cost Euthanasia Clinic
by: Pat Raia-The Horse
October 15 2008 Article # 12903
NorCal Equine Rescue in Oroville, Calif., will offer a low-cost euthanasia clinic on Dec. 17 for owners who, due to economic or other reasons, are unable to care for their horses. Owners will be charged $25 for the euthanasia service, which will be performed by veterinarians.

Clinic participation requires owners to sign a release allowing the rescue to retain and place potentially adoptable horses. Horses that prove to be unsuitable for adoption will be humanely euthanized through the rescue's Final Act of Kindness program.

"The clinic is designed to provide financially strapped owners with an alternative to bringing their horses to auction where they may not sell, or may sell a very low price," said NorCal Co-Founder and Vice President Tawnee Preisner.

The group plans to host similar events several times per year.

For details, call 530/534-7742 or e-mail info@savethehorse.com.

Editor's Note: NorCal has arranged for carcass disposal through area renderers, the cost of which is covered in the $25 fee.

The BLM also had recently considered destroying thousands of wild horses due to budget cuts and management issues.

I never in my life would have thought that I would see "Euthansia clinics".

Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

oh, it occurs to me that just as a word of caution: There are some rescues that have no opinions on gun ownership, but the volunteers/board members may be unfamiliar with guns, so you should talk to them first if you plan to do a fundraiser, just to explain things.

I applaud your decision to help. You have NO idea how bad things are getting. Every penny is appreciated by the small rescues.

PETA and HSUS (in addition to being rabildy antigun) also have beacoup funding and marketing resources. Dollars are much better spent (in my opinion) donating to the small local rescues who are barely keeping afloat and who are doing their best to take in the homeless pets.

And lest anyone think I am some left wing nut because I am involved with animals, in addition to being a gun owner, I also eat meat and wear leather products. (I better not see one snicker over that comment )

There is a difference between animal rights and animal welfare. PETA believes in animal rights, and farmers believe in animal welfare. Much like the difference we see with "Common Sense Gun Control" vs "Second Amendment Rights".

Seriously though, I am glad you are interested in helping out. This is only a small piece of the bigger picture.....

Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Oddly, I prefer the company of animals to that of most people. I don't see a conflict between a love of animals and conservative views. I support hunters who hunt responsibly, but out my way I see alot of carcasses missing heads. I hunted when I was younger, and had a reverence for what I took, nothing was wasted.

If I could make even a modest living at it, I could see service to animals as a lifes work.