Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Animal cruelty?? Thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Animal cruelty?? Thoughts

Just saw this video on you tube of a male playing golf and he hit a deer with the ball. Now I have played golf where a lot wildlife was present and I almost hit one unintentionally, but the guy recording it said "I want to see if he can hit it."

Would this be animal cruelty? What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5629 Times on 3310 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Didn't look like any real harm to the animal to me, and it might help keep the deer off the course, saving course damage and human-deer familiarization that could get the deer killed.

I will say though, that the one with the patrolman picking the freaked-out deer up and carrying it off the road was more fun to watch.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Cruel? Sure, a little bit. Really no worse that throwing a rock, which is something you could do to drive them off. Really, I think if the deer was being a nuisance, that's probably what should have been done, throw the ball instead of hitting it with the club. Personally I like that kind of scenery when I'm out and about.

I wouldn't really call it animal cruelty, because as you can tell, it didn't really even bother the deer that much.

And something I read somewhere, deer kill more people in the U.S. than any other wild animal combined. That statistic is a bit skewed (if it's even true, IDK if it is or not), because that also accounts for vehicle accidents caused by deer.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cruel in the amount of injury ? No, not really, cruel because it was stupid, thoughtless and unnecessary ...absolutely!

What does that sort of message does it send to the boy ...that anything goes when it comes to animals? Is it still funny when the kid decides to see it he can hit the neighbors dog with a bb gun or arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

It's a little mean, but not really cruel. I don't think it even hurt the deer, probably just scared it.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
Cruel in the amount of injury ? No, not really, cruel because it was stupid, thoughtless and unnecessary ...absolutely!

What does that sort of message does it send to the boy ...that anything goes when it comes to animals? Is it still funny when the kid decides to see it he can hit the neighbors dog with a bb gun or arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
^^ What he said.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7332 Times on 4250 Posts
Likes Given: 9444

I don't see it as any different than hitting a deer in my garden with the slingshot. The guy wasn't hitting the ball very hard. I say no big deal.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

What would be cruel is if that deer got pissed off and went after that guy. Wait, did I say cruel? I meant funny as hell.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In the long run, it was probably humane. Deer hanging out around people ultimately seem to lead to the deer's demise, so a little tap to scare this one is probably good. Unfortunately, it looks like the deer was not all that scared based on the short distance it ran.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5629 Times on 3310 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Loud firecrackers would be more effective, but might upset some other players juuuuuust a bit.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p