Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Animal cruelty?? Thoughts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/animal-cruelty-thoughts-52057/)

bkt_tater 11-18-2011 06:19 PM

Animal cruelty?? Thoughts

Just saw this video on you tube of a male playing golf and he hit a deer with the ball. Now I have played golf where a lot wildlife was present and I almost hit one unintentionally, but the guy recording it said "I want to see if he can hit it."

Would this be animal cruelty? What do you think?

orangello 11-18-2011 06:29 PM

Didn't look like any real harm to the animal to me, and it might help keep the deer off the course, saving course damage and human-deer familiarization that could get the deer killed.

I will say though, that the one with the patrolman picking the freaked-out deer up and carrying it off the road was more fun to watch.

trip286 11-18-2011 07:12 PM

Cruel? Sure, a little bit. Really no worse that throwing a rock, which is something you could do to drive them off. Really, I think if the deer was being a nuisance, that's probably what should have been done, throw the ball instead of hitting it with the club. Personally I like that kind of scenery when I'm out and about.

I wouldn't really call it animal cruelty, because as you can tell, it didn't really even bother the deer that much.

And something I read somewhere, deer kill more people in the U.S. than any other wild animal combined. That statistic is a bit skewed (if it's even true, IDK if it is or not), because that also accounts for vehicle accidents caused by deer.

TCH2FLY 11-18-2011 07:40 PM

Cruel in the amount of injury ? No, not really, cruel because it was stupid, thoughtless and unnecessary ...absolutely!

What does that sort of message does it send to the boy ...that anything goes when it comes to animals? Is it still funny when the kid decides to see it he can hit the neighbors dog with a bb gun or arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

texaswoodworker 11-18-2011 07:53 PM

It's a little mean, but not really cruel. I don't think it even hurt the deer, probably just scared it.

dmp 11-18-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY (Post 630949)
Cruel in the amount of injury ? No, not really, cruel because it was stupid, thoughtless and unnecessary ...absolutely!

What does that sort of message does it send to the boy ...that anything goes when it comes to animals? Is it still funny when the kid decides to see it he can hit the neighbors dog with a bb gun or arrow?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

^^ What he said.

Vikingdad 11-18-2011 08:44 PM

I don't see it as any different than hitting a deer in my garden with the slingshot. The guy wasn't hitting the ball very hard. I say no big deal.

texaswoodworker 11-18-2011 08:53 PM

What would be cruel is if that deer got pissed off and went after that guy. Wait, did I say cruel? I meant funny as hell. :D

Jeepergeo 11-18-2011 09:00 PM

In the long run, it was probably humane. Deer hanging out around people ultimately seem to lead to the deer's demise, so a little tap to scare this one is probably good. Unfortunately, it looks like the deer was not all that scared based on the short distance it ran.

orangello 11-18-2011 09:30 PM

Loud firecrackers would be more effective, but might upset some other players juuuuuust a bit.