Ancestry

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ancestry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 833 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 1822

Default Ancestry

I've been helping my little sister trace our family tree, and we seem to have shaken out a Viking dude - Rollo "the Viking" aka Rollo the Ganger Ragnvaldsson. Only 38 generations ago, too!
No wonder I've always liked barbarian flicks and MMORPG's.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ha, awesome!

Quote:
Rollo "the Viking" aka Rollo the Ganger Ragnvaldsson
Hey great name too Interesting when you find out things like this and suddenly stuff makes sense. I found out about 4 years ago that one of my ancestors was found as an orphan boy hiding in a barrel on a Crimean war battlefield by an English Colonel; and taken by him back to England and adopted.

Certainly helped shed some light on my hitherto-puzzling 20+yr Russian obsession lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Too bad I can't trace my family tree back to Serbia and farther into the past. The family emigrated here in 1900. The original family name was changed because my Grandfather (who died before my parents got married) liked his drink a bit too much and never spelled the last name the same. When my Uncle (the only one born in the "Old Country") became a U.S. citizen, he changed the spelling to the current one and no one really knows how the original family name was spelled. Only my Father is left of the family and he doesn't know because the change was made before he was born in 1921.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My family tree gets blurry in a hurry too. My paternal great grandfather was a runaway when he was 14, I can't even be sure our last name isn't made up, and my maternal grandfather never spoke about anything that happened more than 4 days ago.
As for the grandma's, who knows... they're Irish. You can't trust half their stories, and you can't understand the other half

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My family name was changed in order to get the mail more promptly, late 1800s.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 1822

The viking is from my Mom's side. So far we've found at least 3 American Revolution veterans, one War of 1812 veteran, and the oldest war hero buried in Arlington Cemetary, by one account. Also some less reputable types, such as a Congressman and some other politicians, travelling preachers, etc. Interestingly, the most ironclad line leads to one Pierre (Peter) Chastain, a Huguenot who stepped off a boat from England in 1700 at Jamestown, VA. I was born on his birthday, 299 years later to the day.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9565 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Well, we had that whole thing with the restraining orders, outstanding warrants, and then the witness protection program..........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Going through my mom's "lineage" book from 1940's Germany, I found some Gypsy blood. No wonder I like lots of jewelry and flashy horses.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....