Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ammo Storage and Reloading location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Ammo Storage and Reloading location

Alright guys, most of you know I moved into a new place and I'm trying to decide the best place to store my ammo and reloading supplies which included my dies and presses. I have 2 options, my 1/4 basement or a small storage building out back.

I keep all said ammo, powder, and primers in ammo cans with good seals and 4-5 dry packs I get thru my father in law. He's a pharmisist and has an endless supply. The cases are stored in clean plastic bins inside ziplock bags by caliber. I only have one press up at a time so they are wrapped in plastic bags and stored in clean boxes.

Here is the situation:

basement is damp, full of spiders and some of the largest slugs I've ever seen but they only come out at night and I have officially declaired WW3 on them all. This is a concern because I don't want my equipment rusting nor do I want to open a bin of brass and find a spider has made it's home there and it's recently hatched 5,000 children keeping it company.
The good thing is that it's cool, stays a constant temp and is lockable since the only entrance is from the outside. It also is not very dusty due to the fact it's damp.

Storage building, dry with no bugs. I could easily build a workbench here because it is just studs instead of concrete blocks. What sucks is if I were to set up there it would be subject to the constant and sometimes dramatic (30-40 degree) temp changes we see here. Also, its a bit dusty since I have to store my tractor and garden supplies there as well but not to the point that it would contaminate anything while I was loading.

I'm thinking about keeping my ammo and powder, everything sealed off, in the basement and setting up my bench in the shed. I think this might give me the best of both worlds. I'll just have to take down my presses when not using them and keep them wrapped up and covered.

Any thoughts?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Alright guys, most of you know I moved into a new place and I'm trying to decide the best place to store my ammo and reloading supplies which included my dies and presses. I have 2 options, my 1/4 basement or a small storage building out back.

I keep all said ammo, powder, and primers in ammo cans with good seals and 4-5 dry packs I get thru my father in law. He's a pharmisist and has an endless supply. The cases are stored in clean plastic bins inside ziplock bags by caliber. I only have one press up at a time so they are wrapped in plastic bags and stored in clean boxes.

Here is the situation:

basement is damp, full of spiders and some of the largest slugs I've ever seen but they only come out at night and I have officially declaired WW3 on them all. This is a concern because I don't want my equipment rusting nor do I want to open a bin of brass and find a spider has made it's home there and it's recently hatched 5,000 children keeping it company.
The good thing is that it's cool, stays a constant temp and is lockable since the only entrance is from the outside. It also is not very dusty due to the fact it's damp.

Storage building, dry with no bugs. I could easily build a workbench here because it is just studs instead of concrete blocks. What sucks is if I were to set up there it would be subject to the constant and sometimes dramatic (30-40 degree) temp changes we see here. Also, its a bit dusty since I have to store my tractor and garden supplies there as well but not to the point that it would contaminate anything while I was loading.

I'm thinking about keeping my ammo and powder, everything sealed off, in the basement and setting up my bench in the shed. I think this might give me the best of both worlds. I'll just have to take down my presses when not using them and keep them wrapped up and covered.
Glad I could help!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Glad I could help!
Thanks, Cane. Best laugh of the day.

spit,

I know that you know that Cane has just endorsed your thinking, and he lives in the ever humid and hot So. Fla.

Myself, brother, I am going out on a limb here. I say do exactly what you are thinking.

So +2 on your idea.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Thanks, Cane. Best laugh of the day.

spit,

I know that you know that Cane has just endorsed your thinking, and he lives in the ever humid and hot So. Fla.

Myself, brother, I am going out on a limb here. I say do exactly what you are thinking.

So +2 on your idea.
Yea and get a couple of those NOT FOOD - DO NOT EAT bags and pack em with your gear!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would clean up bugs and everything else in basement and paint a concrete sealer on the basement walls and floor to dry this place up and use the basement to store and reload. However, if it is like a house my brother had and the basement was constructed poorly, (ground water would put 2 feet of water in basement a day without a sump pump) you'll no doubt have to use the out building.

I'm in the process of setting up a 600 sq. ft. building in my backyard to do my reloading and other projects. I just had the roof on this building re-roofed, and a new stucco overcoat on the exterior. Also, new doors, (2) large dual pane windows, insulation in rafters and walls, heat/cool wall unit, drywall tape and texture lid and walls, epoxy paint floor, 125 amp sub panel and wired with MC cable for incandesant lighting and wall outlets. (wired commercially) I have done most all the work myself on this building excpet for the re-roof, stucco overcoat and drywall. Got the roof, stucco, and drywall for No Charge or rather trade labor (barter).

If you end up using your detached building I would at least insulate, drywall, epoxy paint the floor, and get some kind of heating and cooling in there. It'll be much more comfortable and easy keep to clean.

Well thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Yea and get a couple of those NOT FOOD - DO NOT EAT bags and pack em with your gear!
They are bags of silicon. I use them in storage. You can buy them.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I've got them in with everything already. I've got an endless suppy...or at least until wal mart goes out of business or shuts down their pharmacy.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I like keeping my ammo and reloading equipment and supplies close by. So I have mine set up in my bedroom, no biggy sense I traded my ex-wife for a bottle of cheep scotch and a pack of smokes I can do anything I choose now.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I like keeping my ammo and reloading equipment and supplies close by. So I have mine set up in my bedroom, no biggy sense I traded my ex-wife for a bottle of cheep scotch and a pack of smokes I can do anything I choose now.
I keep plenty of self defense ammo in the house with me. Both pistol and long gun. The wife wouldn't be too excited about me setting up my reloading bench in the bedroom. It was in the laundry room of our old apartment though so she's not too strict. My rolling toolbox is currently in our laundry room so my hand tools don't rust.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I have to agree with opaww along the same lines spitt, that I would not personally want to be cut off from all of the other ammo reloading materials and other supplements and ordnances away from the house, if the "just in case" factor arises and you are restricted to the house. Now, if you got an underground tunnel leading from the house to the storage shed hell, you got it made then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”