Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Ammo Storage and Reloading location (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ammo-storage-reloading-location-15773/)

spittinfire 07-15-2009 09:12 PM

Ammo Storage and Reloading location

Alright guys, most of you know I moved into a new place and I'm trying to decide the best place to store my ammo and reloading supplies which included my dies and presses. I have 2 options, my 1/4 basement or a small storage building out back.

I keep all said ammo, powder, and primers in ammo cans with good seals and 4-5 dry packs I get thru my father in law. He's a pharmisist and has an endless supply. The cases are stored in clean plastic bins inside ziplock bags by caliber. I only have one press up at a time so they are wrapped in plastic bags and stored in clean boxes.

Here is the situation:

basement is damp, full of spiders and some of the largest slugs I've ever seen but they only come out at night and I have officially declaired WW3 on them all. This is a concern because I don't want my equipment rusting nor do I want to open a bin of brass and find a spider has made it's home there and it's recently hatched 5,000 children keeping it company.
The good thing is that it's cool, stays a constant temp and is lockable since the only entrance is from the outside. It also is not very dusty due to the fact it's damp.

Storage building, dry with no bugs. I could easily build a workbench here because it is just studs instead of concrete blocks. What sucks is if I were to set up there it would be subject to the constant and sometimes dramatic (30-40 degree) temp changes we see here. Also, its a bit dusty since I have to store my tractor and garden supplies there as well but not to the point that it would contaminate anything while I was loading.

I'm thinking about keeping my ammo and powder, everything sealed off, in the basement and setting up my bench in the shed. I think this might give me the best of both worlds. I'll just have to take down my presses when not using them and keep them wrapped up and covered.

Any thoughts?

canebrake 07-15-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 129393)
Alright guys, most of you know I moved into a new place and I'm trying to decide the best place to store my ammo and reloading supplies which included my dies and presses. I have 2 options, my 1/4 basement or a small storage building out back.

I keep all said ammo, powder, and primers in ammo cans with good seals and 4-5 dry packs I get thru my father in law. He's a pharmisist and has an endless supply. The cases are stored in clean plastic bins inside ziplock bags by caliber. I only have one press up at a time so they are wrapped in plastic bags and stored in clean boxes.

Here is the situation:

basement is damp, full of spiders and some of the largest slugs I've ever seen but they only come out at night and I have officially declaired WW3 on them all. This is a concern because I don't want my equipment rusting nor do I want to open a bin of brass and find a spider has made it's home there and it's recently hatched 5,000 children keeping it company.
The good thing is that it's cool, stays a constant temp and is lockable since the only entrance is from the outside. It also is not very dusty due to the fact it's damp.

Storage building, dry with no bugs. I could easily build a workbench here because it is just studs instead of concrete blocks. What sucks is if I were to set up there it would be subject to the constant and sometimes dramatic (30-40 degree) temp changes we see here. Also, its a bit dusty since I have to store my tractor and garden supplies there as well but not to the point that it would contaminate anything while I was loading.

I'm thinking about keeping my ammo and powder, everything sealed off, in the basement and setting up my bench in the shed. I think this might give me the best of both worlds. I'll just have to take down my presses when not using them and keep them wrapped up and covered.

Glad I could help! http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

skullcrusher 07-15-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 129410)

Thanks, Cane. Best laugh of the day.

spit,

I know that you know that Cane has just endorsed your thinking, and he lives in the ever humid and hot So. Fla.

Myself, brother, I am going out on a limb here. I say do exactly what you are thinking. ;)

So +2 on your idea. :)

canebrake 07-15-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 129415)
Thanks, Cane. Best laugh of the day.

spit,

I know that you know that Cane has just endorsed your thinking, and he lives in the ever humid and hot So. Fla.

Myself, brother, I am going out on a limb here. I say do exactly what you are thinking. ;)

So +2 on your idea. :)

Yea and get a couple of those NOT FOOD - DO NOT EAT bags and pack em with your gear!

mrm14 07-15-2009 11:13 PM

I would clean up bugs and everything else in basement and paint a concrete sealer on the basement walls and floor to dry this place up and use the basement to store and reload. However, if it is like a house my brother had and the basement was constructed poorly, (ground water would put 2 feet of water in basement a day without a sump pump) you'll no doubt have to use the out building.

I'm in the process of setting up a 600 sq. ft. building in my backyard to do my reloading and other projects. I just had the roof on this building re-roofed, and a new stucco overcoat on the exterior. Also, new doors, (2) large dual pane windows, insulation in rafters and walls, heat/cool wall unit, drywall tape and texture lid and walls, epoxy paint floor, 125 amp sub panel and wired with MC cable for incandesant lighting and wall outlets. (wired commercially) I have done most all the work myself on this building excpet for the re-roof, stucco overcoat and drywall. Got the roof, stucco, and drywall for No Charge or rather trade labor (barter).

If you end up using your detached building I would at least insulate, drywall, epoxy paint the floor, and get some kind of heating and cooling in there. It'll be much more comfortable and easy keep to clean.

Well thats my 2 cents worth.

skullcrusher 07-15-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 129421)
Yea and get a couple of those NOT FOOD - DO NOT EAT bags and pack em with your gear!

They are bags of silicon. I use them in storage. You can buy them.

spittinfire 07-16-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 129421)

I've got them in with everything already. I've got an endless suppy...or at least until wal mart goes out of business or shuts down their pharmacy.

Thanks for the input guys!

opaww 07-16-2009 12:41 PM

I like keeping my ammo and reloading equipment and supplies close by. So I have mine set up in my bedroom, no biggy sense I traded my ex-wife for a bottle of cheep scotch and a pack of smokes I can do anything I choose now.

spittinfire 07-16-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 129611)
I like keeping my ammo and reloading equipment and supplies close by. So I have mine set up in my bedroom, no biggy sense I traded my ex-wife for a bottle of cheep scotch and a pack of smokes I can do anything I choose now.

I keep plenty of self defense ammo in the house with me. Both pistol and long gun. The wife wouldn't be too excited about me setting up my reloading bench in the bedroom. It was in the laundry room of our old apartment though so she's not too strict. My rolling toolbox is currently in our laundry room so my hand tools don't rust.

IGETEVEN 07-16-2009 02:21 PM

I have to agree with opaww along the same lines spitt, that I would not personally want to be cut off from all of the other ammo reloading materials and other supplements and ordnances away from the house, if the "just in case" factor arises and you are restricted to the house. Now, if you got an underground tunnel leading from the house to the storage shed hell, you got it made then.