Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ammo shipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Ammo shipment

Does anybody know what kind of hoops I have to jump through to ship a small amount (20 rounds) of handgun ammo? I have a box that I can't use because my .40 won't chamber them, should I just pack them in plain box and keep my mouth shut or do I have to get some kind of permission or something?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Does anybody know what kind of hoops I have to jump through to ship a small amount (20 rounds) of handgun ammo? I have a box that I can't use because my .40 won't chamber them, should I just pack them in plain box and keep my mouth shut or do I have to get some kind of permission or something?
There are no hazmat fee's associated with shipping loaded ammo. Certain restrictions may apply in your area however. The only requirement to buy loaded ammo is that the recipient must be 21 yrs. old. I would just ship it.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know you can ship, I get ammo from cheaper than dirt all the time. I believe it has to go via ground transport but look here http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ship it UPS and don't say anything. I was told by HiPoint to ship my gun back to them using UPS and to tell them the package contained "Machined Parts" if asked. They asked, and I said "Machined Parts". If I had said "Gun", it would have cost me an additional $20. You may write ORM-D on the package, but they will probably ask what it is, since ORM stands for "Other Regulated Materials" and is a hazmat classification, in which case they will probably charge you a BS hazmat fee, meaning it will COST you money to sell or give away your ammo! For what you will make selling 20 rds. of .40 ammo, you might as well give it away to someone locally!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8332 Times on 3604 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

You can ship up to 66 lbs of standard ammo (not tracer, not HE, not teargas, etc) by UPS GROUND. There is no HAZMAT charge for under 66 lbs. mark the package ORM-D, list contents as "Cartridges, small arms". You can research this on the UPS website. DO NOT MAIL LIVE AMMO BY US MAIL. You can call UPS, and schedule a pickup at home/business. Some of the UPS Stores are not run by UPS, and may not accept it. And re: instructions from Hi-Point- I would stop doing business with people that are instructing you to do things that can get you put in jail. Failure to notify a common carrier that a shipment contains a firearm HAS resulted in felony charges being brought against the shipper.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #6

Had a friend give up shooting last year and decided to ship leftover ammo to me (there was quite a bit). It was a learning experience. The info above is correct--under no circumstances should you attempt to ship via US mail with no markings. They occassionally will screen for things (how do you think they find out when folks are shipping drugs?). If you are caught (ammo is expressly prohibited from US mail) then its a felony.

UPS was how I received my boxes of ammo. It was pretty strightforward and they did not give us any hassle. You have to be very clear on marking the box as noted above. You should also wrap securely--ie, don't just let ammo rattle around in box, and make sure you use heavy packing tape etc. The box Must be marked "cartridges--small arms ORM-D".

My shipments were no more expensive than other weights. Although they will not ship air/overnight. It has to go ground (I am going to assume that its because they do not want ammo in planes).

Anywho--its not bad. However I would strongly reccomend that you ship legally and not take a chance of ending up in jail (and on the front page of your local news--you know the antis would love it).

Call UPS in your area and speak to them to ensure the regulations have not changed, and to get the nearest location that will accept the package.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And re: instructions from Hi-Point- I would stop doing business with people that are instructing you to do things that can get you put in jail. Failure to notify a common carrier that a shipment contains a firearm HAS resulted in felony charges being brought against the shipper.
There are no restrictions against shipping guns UPS. The fact that they ask if it is a gun simply implies that they will charge you more money because of it! A gun IS a machined part. I'm sure HiPoint isn't encouraging illegal activity - they just found a legal loophole to save their customers money when dealing with an anti-gun corporation. Shipping charges for non-hazmat items should be assessed a shipping charge based on weight and bulk ONLY, not on use or application of the item being shipped! That's none of their friggin business! I applaud them for that. As far as shipping 20 rds. of ammo, I think it's ridiculous to jump through hoops or pay extra money to ship 20 rds. of ammo anywhere.