Ammo prices shoot up
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ammo prices shoot up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo prices shoot up

Ammo prices shoot up
Play Media

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 @08:38pm EST

BULLETCOSTS5222008-05-22-1211459495.jpgAmmo prices are on the rise and it’s forcing some competitive shooters to scale back.

"Ammunition materials, lead, copper and brass have doubled, tripled, quadrupled in price,” said Fred Calcagno, owner of American Sportsman in East Rochester.

Competitive shooting is taking a big hit.

"A box like this is $14.99, we used to sell for $7.95,” said Calcagno who says ammo prices have shot up over the past few years.

"People will look at the price of ammo and think we are overpriced. They run down to the next shop downtown, they drive all the way to another place and then they come back and say gee you are still two dollars cheaper,” he said.

"This is probably one of the things that I do the most,” said Paul Roberts, who has been a competitive shooter for the last 15 years. He loads his own ammo to save money.

"You basically buy all the components, the brass, the bullets, the gun powder, the primers,” said Roberts. But Roberts says that too is getting more expensive.

Even if ammunition prices continue to rise competitive shooters are likely to pay the price to keep their fingers on the trigger.

"Bite the bullet and pay it. If you enjoy doing it you're going to have to pay the price and do it,” said Roberts.

Calcagno says some are using smaller caliber ammo that costs less or they're scaling back on shooting altogether, passing on a favorite past time.

"Guys love to go to the range and punch some holes in the paper and unfortunately with the cost of ammunition it's out of range for the common man anymore,” said Calcagno.

Prices for ammunition have been rising about every 3 months or so.

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=15954

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

Stock up....Oh did I say STOCK UP...the prices won't go down.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculker View Post
"Ammunition materials, lead, copper and brass have doubled, tripled, quadrupled in price,” said Fred Calcagno, owner of American Sportsman in East Rochester.
Hey, I know where that place is. I'm not sure they're the cheapest in the Rochester area, though.

Anyway, like DogRanger says, stock up now. Prices will not fall anytime soon.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Good reason to have some .22s around.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogRanger View Post
I agree 100% stock up just like everything else it goes up

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 AM   #6

Default Ammo prices soar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogRanger View Post
I am stocking up on Primers (Russian made primers are half what US made primers are goin' for) stocking up on brass and wheel-weights

learn to cast and you're home free

yodar