Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Ammo Missing.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ammo-missing-58231/)

LONGHAIR 02-19-2012 05:10 PM

Ammo Missing....

If you buy ammo from a display in the middle of the gun store do you open the box of ammo to check it-out ???...I have gotten two different box's two different times from two different stores and get home and a shell is missing....I'm not going all the way back for one bullet but it makes me mad that someone took one-out...Anybody ever have this happen to them ???.....I now open the box and people standing around look at me and I don't give a Rats-^SS what anybody thinks...My friend even said one time,I don't think your suppost to open them and I said nice and LOUD,I've been cheated out of ammo before but not this time....I'm CHECKING-OUT anything I'm buying from know-on even if the guy behind the counter hands-it to me......That's just the way it's going to be from know-on........I see stuff on the store shelfs open allthe time....

trip286 02-19-2012 05:16 PM

What I do with everything in question, I go to the counter and ask the clerk to open the package. 99% of the time, they will. The rest of the time, I just won't buy it.

If you explain the situation, I'm sure they would have no problem helping you out. By the way, missing ammo like you've experienced is the reason your not supposed to open the box. Kind of like gun free zone signs, and gun control in general, works great at making people follow the rules doesn't it?

JTJ 02-19-2012 05:40 PM

I picked up a brick of Blazer 22lr and someone had switched one of the boxes with some old corroded Win 22lr.

kaido 02-19-2012 05:48 PM

I've yet to have that happen to me, but I've also only boughten four boxes of center fire ammunition. Reason I know it's exactly four? Me and a friend went shooting and since he was letting me use his rifle I bought it.

The first box I ever bought I never though to open at all. We got to his field and went to load up, turns out the brass was starting to rust and had spots all over it. So now I'm with you on. Checking every box before I leave the ammunition section.

Axxe55 02-19-2012 06:21 PM

i check mine also, as the same has happened to me in the past. the one place i occasionally don't is my LGS, as they tend to be much more reliable and trustworthy. any chain stores where ammo is accessable to the general public, always.

MrWray 02-19-2012 06:44 PM

Its the same when your buying eggs, i always open the crate and make sure that all the eggs are there and none are broken. I always check the ammo,i have also heard stories of missing primers too

HockaLouis 02-19-2012 07:02 PM

Oh, great!

Now I have just one more thing to worry about. Gee, thanks.

I did have a shell missing from a box of 25 within a 12 ga. sportpack from WalMart, once.

shadamai 02-19-2012 07:18 PM

I have never even thought to check, but I also haven't experienced this problem. The Walmart here locks their ammo up and the clerk will handle the boxes until you have paid. At my local gun store, I have never had any problem with their ammo (they are very reliable.) I might have to be a little more careful next time if I buy elsewhere, though.

I check my eggs, too...not because I am afraid one is missing, but because I am afraid one will be broken and make my refrigerator smell ;)

LONGHAIR 02-19-2012 07:43 PM

Yea...I've had broken eggs also,just the other-day....:(....

silverado113 02-19-2012 08:25 PM

I always open the box. Usually ammo behind the glass in WalMart hasn't had any problems but the sporting good stores are the worse here.