Is ammo getting scarce? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is ammo getting scarce?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hi Guys,

I was referring to strictly self defense loads like hollow point and buckshot only. I haven't seen any problems with any of the rifle or FMJ pistol loads. I'm guessing that either people are stocking up expecting a gun and ammo ban after the elections, or are preparing for the coming rough and wild times.

Joe

Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbw View Post
Hi Guys,

I was referring to strictly self defense loads like hollow point and buckshot only. I haven't seen any problems with any of the rifle or FMJ pistol loads. I'm guessing that either people are stocking up expecting a gun and ammo ban after the elections, or are preparing for the coming rough and wild times.

Joe
I haven't seen any "real" shortages but 40 S&W JHP ammo is getting tougher since most is sent to Iraq these days. I've been buying in bulk anyway... it's a whole lot cheaper. I have about a 10 year supply of all the calibers I use.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #13

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I see no shortages in my area. Gander Mtn is over flowing with $50 a box WWB ammo. and Federal as well. They have more buckshot and slug rounds on the shelves then ever before.

I also need to stock up on 22lr ammo. I am down to 2500 rounds. I need to order about 50,000 more rounds.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3094 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 302

.40 S&W JHP going to Iraq? Who is using that caliber?

IMHO shortage is due primarily to people stocking up. I won't say hoarding because hoarding would imply aquiring more than is needed. How much ammo do you need? There is no such thing as too much ammo.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
.40 S&W JHP going to Iraq? Who is using that caliber?

IMHO shortage is due primarily to people stocking up. I won't say hoarding because hoarding would imply aquiring more than is needed. How much ammo do you need? There is no such thing as too much ammo.
I don't know robocop10mm, this is what my local gun shops are telling me. I'm certainly not hoarding ammo... I just buy it so I will have it.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #16

Default ammo

factories dont dedicate one line to each caliber they make a run and then change to another.thats one of the reasons I am opposed to a lot of the new cartridges that dont improve much on an older cartridge.its mostly a sales gimmic.and the more cartridges the more they all cost.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3094 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 302

If the guys at the gun shop are telling you .40 ammo is going to the sandbox they MUST have some black ops connections or they are just mistaken.

The ammo manufacturers have a limited number of "Lines" available to produce ammo. Keep in mind the big companies make their own brass cases which is a fairly complex operation using big strong machines to extrude the brass. These machines can make cases from .22 short to .50 BMG but require a lot of down time to change calibers. Making small runs of less popular cases like .38-40 or .32 Win Spl is hard to justify when you can dedicate a machine to make .223/5.56 cases and leave is set up like that all year.

The actual loading machines are also capable of being converted to other calibers, but why would you break down the 9mm machine running 16-24 hours a day churning out millions of rounds a week to crank out a few hundred thousand .40's.

There is the problem of metals such as copper, brass and lead going overseas to feed the industrial revolutions of China and India. Supply and demand. They have huge demand that is depleting our supply thus causing prices to increase here and all over the world.

People are definately stocking up (hoarding) in anticipation of the upcoming election. I was at the Saxet gun show in Austin last weekend and the first 10 or so people I saw walking out the door were carrying cases of ammo. I'll bet nearly 100,000 rounds ws bought and sold in two days.

Get what you can when you can get it as long as the price is not too outrageous. It will only get worse inthe next three weeks and then if Obama gets elected the buying frenzy will kick up several notches before January. If McCain gets elected the scare will die down considerably and the market should stabilize.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If the guys at the gun shop are telling you .40 ammo is going to the sandbox they MUST have some black ops connections or they are just mistaken.

The ammo manufacturers have a limited number of "Lines" available to produce ammo. Keep in mind the big companies make their own brass cases which is a fairly complex operation using big strong machines to extrude the brass. These machines can make cases from .22 short to .50 BMG but require a lot of down time to change calibers. Making small runs of less popular cases like .38-40 or .32 Win Spl is hard to justify when you can dedicate a machine to make .223/5.56 cases and leave is set up like that all year.

The actual loading machines are also capable of being converted to other calibers, but why would you break down the 9mm machine running 16-24 hours a day churning out millions of rounds a week to crank out a few hundred thousand .40's.

There is the problem of metals such as copper, brass and lead going overseas to feed the industrial revolutions of China and India. Supply and demand. They have huge demand that is depleting our supply thus causing prices to increase here and all over the world.

People are definately stocking up (hoarding) in anticipation of the upcoming election. I was at the Saxet gun show in Austin last weekend and the first 10 or so people I saw walking out the door were carrying cases of ammo. I'll bet nearly 100,000 rounds ws bought and sold in two days.

Get what you can when you can get it as long as the price is not too outrageous. It will only get worse inthe next three weeks and then if Obama gets elected the buying frenzy will kick up several notches before January. If McCain gets elected the scare will die down considerably and the market should stabilize.

I'm loading up on all ammo at every opportunity.