Ammo again.........................
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ammo again.........................

View Poll Results: What is the main reason for the ammo shortage?
New gun owners stocking up 0 0%
Total panic buying due to fear of a gun/ammo ban 308 96.86%
Industry driven shortage 1 0.31%
Evil Speculators trying to corner the market 0 0%
Fear of economic/social unrest 9 2.83%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo again.........................

OK, been looking on the net for some ammo, .40 s&w, and .223. Pretty well stocked-up on other calibers.

There just isn't much available to pick from, at prices which we are accustomed to. I know, supply and demand, I don't feel there is any gouging going on.

What do you feel is the main reason that everyone is sold out?

The future isn't what it used to be.
----Yogi Berra

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwsfarm View Post
What do you feel is the main reason that everyone is sold out?

Quote:
supply and demand...
You answered your own question there. The paranoid are buying up ammo faster than it can be produced.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #3

Matt-

One thing that I haven't seen discussed is how many new gun owners there are. I really feel that their purchases are helping to create the shortage (I hope that it is partly due to them, we need more gun owners who are willing to work for the RKBA)

who else has friends/relatives that are new to guns? I personally know at least 6 people who have purchased handguns that have never owned/shot one before. I also know they have purchased what I USED TO CONSIDER a large quantity of ammo.

I wish we could see the statistics now, of guns purchased in the last few months, and how many were NEW gun owners.

----Yogi Berra

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Went to get some 22lr Agulia ammo today a brick was $50 this was the colibri ammo that goes for $25 at midwayusa. it was twice that ammount at Gander Mtn. I sware That is the last time I wil set foot in that store. the have a Remington 700 VTR for $1900

Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

Default Look at gunbroker.com

Look at the price of stripped lowers, AR's and other related. Prices have gone nutz.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I don't feel there is any gouging going on.
What side of the Noboma bed did you crawl out of this AM?

It's still a free market, everyone is gouging! (If you know someone still selling at the pre-Obamageddon prices do your forum bros a favor and tell us where!)

The only exception's I've seen are the guys advertising low prices for ammo on their empty shelves! And just watch where the price goes when their next shipment comes in.

The last 1K brick of 7.62 I bought was <$200 to my door. In the last 3 months I've watched it go to $229, $249, $269 and now $329!!!! If he has any....Not Gouging?

Here's a Caneism:
There are two guys on a desert island.
Dude 1 has a bunch of bananas. Dude 2 has $250K.
How much do the bananas cost?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #7

"What side of the Noboma bed did you crawl out of this AM?"

those are fighting words canebrake. I would prefer that if you are going to try to insult me that you would instead talk about my mom, or my sister. I won't type into print what i think of him or his legions of idiots. I should add, I wear a tinfoil hat about 4 hours a day too, and am also a "bitter clinger"

I don't view charging what the market will bear as "gouging" Keep in mind, I am talking about ammunition. I don't begrudge any business for getting what it can, that's how capitalism works. the price rises to ration supply. I suspect i don't need to explain economics to you, anyways. I will concede that the guys selling lowers on gunbroker are gouging. I also don't think they are selling as many as they were selling.

So, can anyone answer, is it obama, is it fear of unrest, is it fear of the ban, are new gun owners are playing a part, or is it a little bit of everything?

I just find it amazing that people (including myself) are continuing to buy in such quantities to keep store shelves empty. I also can't help but wonder, in this economy could there be a better way to send a message to the administration?

----Yogi Berra

Last edited by mwsfarm; 01-25-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't believe we're even having this discussion. I work part time at a gun shop. Since November 4th, sales of firearms and ammo have skyrocketed. The coronation of Osama Bin Bama is the cause.

As stock has run out, it has been replaced with new stock which costs more from the suppliers. The higher prices are passed on to the consumer. Yes, that is called supply and demand.

There aren't any gunshop commandos employed at the shop. We offer very good prices and excellent service. There is no gouging going on. However, since the coronation, business has boomed so much, that it is hard to keep up with it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

A local dealer here told me that October was his busiest month last year. He keeps obscene amounts of ammo, and he was picked clean of 9MM and .38 special. He said main reason was that more women than ever are buying or bought for, most saying they wanted CC.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #10

CA357-
how many of your sales are new gun owners?

----Yogi Berra