Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Americans who understands the metric system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3764 Times on 2243 Posts
Likes Given: 3145

There is something other then the metric system?- JK Actually, I need to know it as a hunter in Germany. Hell, I need to know it to survive over here.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #22

Liked 2225 Times on 1445 Posts

I use both on a daily basis with my machinist job. I don't like metric threads because they have more threads per inch, er, finer threads, which aren't as strong. These are more prone to strip in high stress situations or where they are repeatedly spun in and out.

What really bugs me is an entire standard machine gets molested by someone who is too lazy to walk for tools, and puts metric bolts in it, or vice versa. These people need slapped hard.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #23

Liked 982 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Working with a base 12 system for measurements is ridiculous, I know, I have done it for over 40 years in the construction industry. Weight measurements are equally as asinine. Why 16 ounces in a freaking pound? The quicker we join the rest of the world in a base ten system, the better off we will be. I drool at the thought of being able to add or multiply or divide measurements in my head. 5280 feet to a mile? Bullshirt. 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot? Give me a break. Who can say, without looking it up, how many square feet in a acre, or how many feet in .668 miles?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #24

Liked 3561 Times on 2216 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Working with a base 12 system for measurements is ridiculous, I know, I have done it for over 40 years in the construction industry. Weight measurements are equally as asinine. Why 16 ounces in a freaking pound? The quicker we join the rest of the world in a base ten system, the better off we will be. I drool at the thought of being able to add or multiply or divide measurements in my head. 5280 feet to a mile? Bullshirt. 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot? Give me a break. Who can say, without looking it up, how many square feet in a acre, or how many feet in .668 miles?
Typical liberal. Wanting to do everything like the rest of the world rather than being a true American and doing things our own way.

The rest of the world be d*mned. This is America, dam*it.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

Typical liberal. Wanting to do everything like the rest of the world rather than being a true American and doing things our own way.

The rest of the world be d*mned. This is America, dam*it.
Yeah, I'm kinda of the opinion that as soon as the argument "everyone else does it" comes up... well then don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #26

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Does translating blueprints for a $300000.00 German robot over so that the US company can build the machine that it will run count?
Miserable project by the way.
As a repair machinist I have found that dividing or multiplying by the number 25.4 is very useful for translating the measurements on metric blue prints.
It is a lot easier than trying to remember 0.0393700787402".

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #27

Liked 375 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 580

I purposely do the math when somebody uses the metric system to describe a measurement or a product and convert it to our American correct measurement system. I drive a ford with a 409 cubic inch V8 diesel for instance. I am dreading the day that torque measurement goes from foot and inch pounds to some fake made up metric bullkrap so a horsepower isn't a horsepower any more, it'd be an abomination and not have any real working relationship to what a machine can do.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Last edited by RJMercer; 08-31-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: edit
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #28

Liked 16788 Times on 9733 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

i like metric calibers, 7mm, 6.5mm, 5.56mm, 6mm, ect., ect.,,,,,,,,

People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6540 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
While I do know how to use the Metric System, I prefer the Standard we have now. If you like the Metric System, just use it. No one is holding a gun to your head.

As for the US adopting that system, the best you could ever hope for is a dual system. The US will never drop the Standard System completely, at least probably not in our life times.

Now then, as for your "the rest of the World does it" comment.

The rest of the World have either completely banned guns, or has severely restricted them.

In a lot of the World, you don't have rights like we have here. If you speak out against your government, you may be killed. If you practice the wrong religion, you may be killed. If you are simply the wrong race, you may be killed.

Now, should we really be like the rest of the world?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #30

Liked 2181 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1759

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I don't spend much time in Canada, but last time I purchased gas in the Imperial Gallon. NOW WHAT WHAS THAT ONE ABOUT ? ? ? ?
When were you in Canada last? Because for years they have been

selling it by the Liter.

I'm stuck between two systems. I have two complete sets of tools.

I have relatives in Canada. Even "Apple Pie" American companies

like Chevrolet use metric stuff. Usually when I have a measuring

conundrum, it's based in metric VS "standard" issues.

OTOH, metric tools are easier to use. If you need something

slightly larger than 13MM, you grab a 14MM. If you need

something slightly larger than 5/8, QUICK! What do you grab?