Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Americans who understands the metric system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue View Post
Every time I meet someone American who understands the metric system I cant help but think.

I understand metric. Though, I'm also studying to be a mechanical engineer, reload my own ammo, and woodwork (I use metric drill bits on my pens).

Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 459 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Every time I meet someone American who understands the metric system I cant help but think.
Those in the medical field know metric, imperial, and apothecary systems. Definitely not a drug dealer, at least not the illegal kind :-)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #13
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5175

I wont budge. Ya give 'em a millimeter and they take a kilometer.

People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 2391

Quote:

I laughed my ass off with that one, Thanks!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #15

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

I hate the metric system almost as much as I hate paying for French on everything. It never fails - every time I open a box, I pull out a page that says: "Mo Dee Employ".

Canada went metric because our liberal government of the day thought the U.S. was going metric (it was being debated in the U.S. at the time) and, in a way that only another liberal airhead could understand, they decided we should be first. Yay.

The entire friggin' county was surveyed into 1/4 sections and all the houses were built with 2x4's. This means we still buy and sell acres. Nobody knows just what a Hectare is nor is anybody I know particularly interested in finding out. And when we renovate, we go to the lumber yard to ask for, pay for and receive, "2x4"'s, 2x6's, etc. We still build on 16" centers. There are those who try to call them a 38mm x 89mm but the rest of us ignore them. The only result was that all of us had to buy two sets of tools....and we lost track of what we were supposed to pay for a gallon of gas or a quart of milk.

Did I mention that I don't like metric crap?

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:

That is hilarious!

I'm a quality engineer and use both daily. The metric system is actually easier to use because the conversions are so much easier. But inches continue to work just fine also. The trick to metrics is just use it. You get use to it quick if you use it. I don't really care which system is used but I try real hard make sure companies don't do both. Either system works just fine but trying to use both is asking for problems.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1638 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

That is hilarious!

I'm a quality engineer and use both daily. The metric system is actually easier to use because the conversions are so much easier. But inches continue to work just fine also. The trick to metrics is just use it. You get use to it quick if you use it. I don't really care which system is used but I try real hard make sure companies don't do both. Either system works just fine but trying to use both is asking for problems.
What I hate is when we dual-dimension the drawings. Then you can be sure to have mismatches, fabrication errors, etc.

And yes, I said "we" because my company does this. When I ask them why, the answer makes no sense. "So we can get bids from both kinds of shops." What kinds of shops? The ones who are too cheap to have any metric measuring tools? Or the ones who don't know how to use them?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5491 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5824

Ive seen lots of hybrid measurements in consumer and commercial electronics, drives me nuts when the width/ height is standard but the impedance and loss distances are Metric (Signal parameters and efficacy calculations). Im a Standard kinda guy all the way around.

Theirs a reason its called Standard, Cause, thats what it is, The Standard for how we gauge things, built over thousands of years not just the last millenium. As mechanical and electronic sensing becomes more reliable and durable, Ten based systems will replace any old standard but until they do, Im sticking with what has worked for my whole life just fine. I can do metric but its no different than me speaking Spanish, I have to translate it to English equivalent in my head before I can relate, it doesnt just flow like honey through my brain.

My measuring tapes never need batteries and 1/32" is about as close a measurement of size that I will ever use. When it comes to 64Ths, thats not my tool set but I have friends that work ten places right of the decimal point all day long, thats when I yell "Help me Gary" (Toolmaker friend of mine)!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #19

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

x2

It is impossible to add the metric system to a country surveyed and built in Imperial or English for centuries and then expect to have only one measuring system. The result will necessarily be two measuring systems. Yuk.

Metric is a system best left to people with veins in their head who wear lab coats, IMO. And maybe drug dealers.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5175

I don't spend much time in the kitchen, but if we went metric, what would we call Measuring Cups?

I don't spend much time in Canada, but last time I purchased gas in the Imperial Gallon. NOW WHAT WHAS THAT ONE ABOUT ? ? ? ?

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL