American Top Gear

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > American Top Gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default American Top Gear

Just finished watching the pilot episode of the american version of the BBC's hit series Top Gear. what do you guys think about it?

If you ignore your rights, they WILL go away

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5509 Times on 2876 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i watched the zombie thing on amc. the previews looked a little lame and i like cars.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignews View Post
Just finished watching the pilot episode of the american version of the BBC's hit series Top Gear. what do you guys think about it?
Was the Volt showcased? I don't care to watch it unless they have the same hosts and same cars as the UK show. There are cars on that show that are not allowed to be imported to the US because of stupid emissions laws. Lemme guess, they raced a Volt and a Prius and some tree hugger biatched about it all...

What is the reasonably priced family car they let the guests drive for time?

Do they have a Stig of their own? If they do, it can't be Michael Schumacher...probably Dale Jr or some other NECKCAR icon...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If it's anything like the Oz version it'll be rubbish and will only serve to remind you how good the UK one is...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
If it's anything like the Oz version it'll be rubbish and will only serve to remind you how good the UK one is...

Took the words right out of my mouth. Wasn't it excruciatingly bad?

They actually did a segment at my range, pretty stupid imo (testing DIY "armoured cars") as it just pandered to the 'reckless & redneck' label we are trying so hard to get out of the non-shooting public's minds. Everything that no licensed shooter would ever be able to do...petrol tanks/ricochets?

Didn't help that the producers lied and got no formal permission to film in the first place either. Wasn't even funny anyway.

Southern Courier
'Top Gear television shoot unsafe'

Let's hope the American version-makers have their heads screwed on a bit better.

It all comes down to the presenters - if the US ones are halfway decent (and don't take themselves too seriously) it shouldn't be a train-wreck...although it would be hard to match the level of amateur of the Oz version. So, there's always hope

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The three times I tried watching that douche bag on Top Gear all he ever did was talk **** about american's and american cars. Sorry I refuse to watch you when you talk **** about my beloved Corvette. He's lucky I didn't fly over there and shartfoo his ass for that crap. Talkin smack about a corvette.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #7

i agree that this new version sucks so far. there is absolutely no chemistry between the hosts and it annoys me that the formula is EXACTLY the same as the BBC's. as far as the "reasonably priced car " its a suzuki sx4.

If you ignore your rights, they WILL go away

Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This new Top Gear blows. I was thoroughly disappointed. I even watched the whole episode to see if it got better.
The cars are awesome, I'm glad the first car they showed was a viper, but the competition between the Lambos was unacceptable. It should have been three powerhouses from the USA - keep the viper in the mix, and add a Corvette ZR1 and a Shelby GT500. I like the idea of keeping the Stig, but when they reveal him/her, it better be an American driving legend.
I'll give it a couple more episodes to get better, but as of right now, I'd rather watch reruns of the original on BBC.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I could only watch a few minutes, and then it became highly cheesy. I enjoy watching the british version with the older guy who drives the cars, and then the one celebrity per episode driving a hot lap to see who is the best. I wish they wouldn't try to revamp these shows that are already good IMO. Just my 2 cents I suppose, but it could have been a lot better.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
If they do, it can't be Michael Schumacher...probably Dale Jr or some other NECKCAR icon...
Michael Schumacher is not the UK Stig...that was just to get Ferrari to allow them to have their new car on the show....look at how he walks up to the seats in that clip, he's about 5 or 6 inches smaller then the real Stig and doesn't have the same presence (not to mention that the Stig can drive and Schumacher can't LOL - with that in mind can a Nascar driver be the new Stig? What happens if there's a right hand corner?)

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)