Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > American Rifleman RIP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Loose the internet and you loose your library. SHTF, it's all gone!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think the addition of features not available on paper will eventually make up the loss of tactileness. Instead of just some still pictures of a new firearm, why not watch a short video of it in action (maybe even with sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Loose the internet and you loose your library. SHTF, it's all gone!!
DVD backups my friend. External hard drives are easier and getting darned cheap.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Second who uses firesnail (Firefox). That browser is like surfing the web in SLOW MOTION. Try google Chrome fast and secure. Everything you need in a sleek easy to use design.
Thanks tango,, I had never heard of google chrome.. I just downloaded it and tried it... seems like a great no frills fast browser

Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I know a lot of NRA members who are old enough that they do not have computers. They will suffer from this change, IMO.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
First It must me nice to get told They just stopped sending me mine.

Second who uses firesnail (Firefox). That browser is like surfing the web in SLOW MOTION. Try google Chrome fast and secure. Everything you need in a sleek easy to use design.

Third There will be just as many ads in your online version as there is in the print version. So if you don't like it DON'T READ IT.

Why do I want a bunch of wasteful PAPER mags laying around my house when I can read it on my Ipod, ipad, laptop, ereader. I myself being a techie am glad to see major mags going the digital route.

As for writers and photographers, nothing is really changing they type articles on a computer and photographers now use DIGITAL cameras. So it cuts cost and may cut down the amount of ads you see in the digital mags. Because now they don't have to either A: Pay someone to print the mag or B: Own the printing equipment that is costly to buy, own, supply, and maintain. The cost of gas is rising the cost of materials like wood and ink are raising. Digital means you have to install some more servers that last years and you may have to buy some more bandwidth.
Chrome is great if you don't want or need any third party addons for things like multimedia or security. The whole cloud mentality I find a little intrusive. It does not play as well woth some proxys too. You're average computer user will probably use bad security software like Norton or that God awful McAfee so it wont really matter what they use to get the critters that are going to infect them anyway. I got calls to from several bought at Walmart pre loaded machines that caught critters due to sub standard security software.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
As to the spam, use Mozilla Firefox and install the addon, Adblock Plus. It's real easy to find and install useful addons and it is pretty effective at managing advertizing. I didn't install Adblock right away on my new computer and was amazed at how many adds I hadn't been seeing.
I've been using Firefox and AdBlock for about 18 months now, great add-on for the browser, helps keep the most irritating adds from surfacing. If you manipulate the web address and/or block entire ad frames you can keep a whole series of ads from showing up one most web sites.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 503 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 2241

I looked through my new issue several times,
did not see this info.
About what page was this?
Even checked the web site.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

I called them to ask what's up. I was told it was their way of forcing me to call them so they could insure that I was still alive. They don't like sending magazines to dead people. They do this to old fart life members.

I was assured that the Rifleman would keep coming.

Cheers:

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 503 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 2241

Thanks Paul.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 436

So we are still going to get them in print? That would make me very happy.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington