American Rifleman RIP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > American Rifleman RIP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Default American Rifleman RIP

I just got my Rifleman this AM. (I'm a life member) There's a tear out telling me that the Rifleman is gone. I have read my last one. From now on I'll have to read it on the Web. How in the hell can I take my computer with me into the can??

OH and they'll include lots of spam (ADs) with the web edition.

Bah Humbug

Paul
Salome, AZ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Buy a netbook. They.are sh!tter friendly.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I hate to say it but print media is dying. While this does not bode well for writers and photographers and everyone associated with that line of work, it makes the new marketing media of places like FTF that much more powerful.

In another 3 to 5 years, places like a well established forum community will be one of the top three marketing targets for all things in direct relation to the product's audience.

JD

Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

Go down to the Apple store and ask to see the new crap-top computer's RIP

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #5

As to the spam, use Mozilla Firefox and install the addon, Adblock Plus. It's real easy to find and install useful addons and it is pretty effective at managing advertizing. I didn't install Adblock right away on my new computer and was amazed at how many adds I hadn't been seeing.

Print media is going away and the quality of the reporting/articles seem to be going downhill. I wouldn't mind so much if the quality stayed at the level I expect but it seems that good writers expect to be paid better than the not so good ones.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #6

Liked 1165 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
As to the spam, use Mozilla Firefox and install the addon, Adblock Plus. It's real easy to find and install useful addons and it is pretty effective at managing advertizing. I didn't install Adblock right away on my new computer and was amazed at how many adds I hadn't been seeing.

Print media is going away and the quality of the reporting/articles seem to be going downhill. I wouldn't mind so much if the quality stayed at the level I expect but it seems that good writers expect to be paid better than the not so good ones.
You can exempt websites from using Adblock. Like say a gun forum you visit often and want to keep around.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

First It must me nice to get told They just stopped sending me mine.

Second who uses firesnail (Firefox). That browser is like surfing the web in SLOW MOTION. Try google Chrome fast and secure. Everything you need in a sleek easy to use design.

Third There will be just as many ads in your online version as there is in the print version. So if you don't like it DON'T READ IT.

Why do I want a bunch of wasteful PAPER mags laying around my house when I can read it on my Ipod, ipad, laptop, ereader. I myself being a techie am glad to see major mags going the digital route.

As for writers and photographers, nothing is really changing they type articles on a computer and photographers now use DIGITAL cameras. So it cuts cost and may cut down the amount of ads you see in the digital mags. Because now they don't have to either A: Pay someone to print the mag or B: Own the printing equipment that is costly to buy, own, supply, and maintain. The cost of gas is rising the cost of materials like wood and ink are raising. Digital means you have to install some more servers that last years and you may have to buy some more bandwidth.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The NRA isn't the only one going that route. Like JD said, printed media is dying and we're starting to see it.

I for one like have the printed version because if there was an article I liked I could save that magazine. Sure the online version has archives but how far back will they go? I've got magazines from 5 years ago because they had some good tech in them that is still relevant.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

Liked 1165 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
The NRA isn't the only one going that route. Like JD said, printed media is dying and we're starting to see it.

I for one like have the printed version because if there was an article I liked I could save that magazine. Sure the online version has archives but how far back will they go? I've got magazines from 5 years ago because they had some good tech in them that is still relevant.
Get a free dropbox account. Store your PDF's or whatever in it. Free online storage that will last more than a lifetime for magazines. It's even more safe from destruction than a physical copy because it's stored in the cloud and on your local computer.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

This is the first I heard of this about the rifle man magazine, need less to say I am sad, yeah tech is cool, but I like somthing tangible. Also I dont see them making my membership cheaper, even though they are saving money. There goes taking my magazine with me wherever I go like fishing or wating in the car for someone at the store. I dont take a computer every where, another note seeing pepole with there computers at every place I go erks me, especialy when its a couple and there out to be together but yet they are on there laptops or phones! And I am not about to go spend more money on more tech to read it on the go, which in a year the tech will be out dated. Just give me back my print!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington