American Prison - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > American Prison

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

After working in the County Jail for 9 months before going to the streets, I have seen a drastic change in the prison/jail system since 1984. It used to be that jal/prison were unplesant. When one got out, he/she did nt want to go back. Not that it was cruel and unusual, just unplesant. Nowadays, getting locked up is like a vacation from the responsibilities of life. you do not have to go to work to eat/pay the bills, etc. The old lady cannot rag on you about the money situation, you ain't got no money and no job to go to so she cannot expect you to "bring home the bacon".

IMHO incarceration should be unpleasant. No TV, no gym, no hot showers (only luke warm), just enough heat or A/C to get by, limited commisary, etc. Read, do push ups, mandatory work/school/counseling, single cells (maybe 2 to a cell) for limited socializing, recreation is getting fresh air and jogging in place, basketball with underinflated balls. When you get out, you do not want to go back, it sucked.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

IMO, in today's society, victims have no rights any more, and convicts have too many.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I think the best answer is,it depends on the individual and what their motives are. ... i think even if it was made manditory for "all" of the inmates to participate in these programs, state tax payers would still take a loss in the overall positive turnout from the programs.you can make them take the programs but you cant make them gain anything from them. They have to want the education...for the right reasons.so my direct answer to your question, no i dont think that making the programs manditory would change the return rate
What if the judge could require not only participation, but achievement in those programs before release or the end of parole supervision? I know some parole situations require the parolee to have regular employment and such, but it might be helpful if any period of unemployment required the parolee to work for the state when not fully employed, maybe picking up trash on roadsides or repainting lines in the public parking areas and such.

I don't guess it would be legal to require academic or vocational achievement for parole (not early release, regular time release), but i can see how that might motivate some participants to do more than just show up.

At the end of the day, there will probably always be some inmates whose lives on the outside are so challenging/difficult (at least to them) that incarceration won't seem that bad comparitively. Although, i've talked to more than a few people who have been guests at Parchman prison, and have yet to meet anyone who didn't absolutely hate the place. The work is part of it; one guy i know saw some guy from his "dorm" cut his wrists while picking beans, supposedly to get out of the sun/heat.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-06-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

part of the problem is the judicial system too. they play let's make a deal and hand out lees than what is fair sometimes. then when the person is is convicted, let's say he gets 10 years, he'll be out in two and a half to three years if he minds his P's and Q's in prison! where is the justice in that? there was a time when a person was convicted, and he got ten years, he did ten years.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Prison should be for the exclusive purpose of punishment, period. I don't want the money I earn confiscated (taxes) and used for the purpose of "rehabilitation", and getting university degrees at tax payer expense.

Prison derives its name from "penal", meaning punishment. A criminal made a conscience choice to do wrong and requires correction.

In fact, morally it should not cost us a single dime to incarcerate and build prisons. Prisoners should be forced to earn their keep, secure housing, and fairly compensate their victims and/or families for their crime(s).

If they didn't grow it, weed it, butcher it, fertilize it and harvest it, they don't eat. If they don't buy it, make it or trade for it, they don't wipe their butt with it!

This society has evolved into an entitlement society. Hell, they even call welfare an entitlement. Prior to FDR and LBJ, the USA was much more civilized and in control.

Based upon the above rant, would you guess I was a liberal or Conservative?

JMHO... Off my soap box now.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Unfortunately, those people make up a decent percentage of U.S. prisoners. That space could be better used to prevent early-releases of people who haven't yet satisfied some prison shrinks and such.

I really wish that prisoners with mental health issues weren't released without required regular therapy/monitoring. I wouldn't just hate myself if some were only released to designated areas. Maybe they could cordon off part of Detroit for all of the people with issues requiring controlling medication, putting less of the public at risk. At least the Lions would have some hardcore fans.
HEY! I resemble that remark!!

I am and have been a hardcore DUHtroit Dions fan for over 30 years!!
(this might 'splain whats wrong with me...)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
HEY! I resemble that remark!!

I am and have been a hardcore DUHtroit Dions fan for over 30 years!!
(this might 'splain whats wrong with me...)
STOMP - Official Site

too suuhn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
Prison should be for the exclusive purpose of punishment, period. I don't want the money I earn confiscated (taxes) and used for the purpose of "rehabilitation", and getting university degrees at tax payer expense. In fact, morally it should not cost us a single dime to incarcerate and build prisons. Prisoners should be forced to earn their keep, secure housing, and fairly compensate their victims and/or families for their crime(s).

If they didn't grow it, weed it, butcher it, fertilize it and harvest it, they don't eat. If they don't buy it, make it or trade for it, they don't wipe their butt with it!
In sentiment, i feel the same way. Nothing would be more satisfying for most of us than to see criminals suffer a punishment for their wrongs. My problem with that is just punishment without some behavior modification and retraining won't always keep a criminal from reoffending after they get released. I am open to alternative methods.

http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/division_of_institutions%20State%20Prisons.htm
Quote:
During FY 2010, inmates worked a total of 732,326 hours in the agricultural program.
Inmates planted approximately 2,047 acres of vegetables, 118 acres of rice, 2,320 acres of soybeans and 1,229 acres of corn.
During FY 2010, 91,541 inmate man-days were expended.
During FY 2010, 5,145,510 pounds of vegetables were harvested.
During FY 2010 a decision was made to phase out the swine operation. Breeding stopped in November 2009 and the sows and boars were removed from the herd.
There were 517,477 dozen eggs produced ($512,938 cash value).
There is a reason they traditionally call Parchman "the farm". I have heard first hand from some people who have done time there, and everybody agrees it is not fun. I'm sure it isn't anywhere near completely self-sufficient, but i bet they save a lot on the grocery bills.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #18

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Talking about un-deserved priviledges.One of the things that irked my a** the most was during my time working in the visiting room. They made us conduct visiting on holidays so the inmates could be with their family.so if your normal days off fall on thanksgiving or christmas you have to work and be away from your family so the inmates can be with theirs

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

I think it should be like this
Murder you get one year to make all your little appeals then it's a $1.25 hollow point in your face
Rapist you get one year to make appeals then it's $1.25 hollow point to your face
Pedophiles you dont get to make appeals they take you out back of the court house after your trial and $1.25 hollow point to your junk then 30 min later another to your face

Bring back chain gangs for people with long sentences say 6 or more years. Let them Clean this country up. When they have 5 years left on there sentences educate them get them a GED and some kind of vocational training so they will be able to get and maintain a honest living

Stupid drug offenses hit them in there wallet big and probation with drug testing

No TV, No central air, No gourmet meals. Oatmeal for breakfast bologna and cheese sandwich for lunch soup and bread for dinner make prison life suck its a punishment for a reason.

Make them be respectful. Yes sir no sir yes mam no mam if they can't follow the rules throw them in the hole make there life suck so when they get out they will do what's right so they don't go back.

Last edited by woody63m; 12-06-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
I think it should be like this
Murder you get one year to make all your little appeals then it's a $1.25 hollow point in your face
Rapist you get one year to make appeals then it's $1.25 hollow point to your face
Pedophiles you dont get to make appeals they take you out back of the court house after your trial and $1.25 hollow point to your junk then 30 min later another to your face

Bring back chain gangs for people with long sentences say 6 or more years. Let them Clean this country up. When they have 5 years left on there sentences educate them get them a GED and some kind of vocational training so they will be able to get and maintain a honest living

Stupid drug offenses hit them in there wallet big and probation with drug testing

No TV, No central air, No gourmet meals. Oatmeal for breakfast bologna and cheese sandwich for lunch soup and bread for dinner make prison life suck its a punishment for a reason.

Make them be respectful. Yes sir no sir yes mam no mam if they can't follow the rules throw them in the hole make there life suck so when they get out they will do what's right so they don't go back.
sorry woody, that would be cruel and inhumane treatment, and you know prisoners have more rights than law-abiding, tax paying citizens. what are you thinking, that there should be justice! (huge sarcasm!) but seriously, that's the way the penal system use to work, a man made a mistake, went to prison and worked ike a rented mule from before sun-up to after sun-down. that was the rehabilitation, he didn't want to go back.