American pilot POW - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > American pilot POW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

My father served in England during WWII. He was with the 96th Bomber Group of the 8th Air Force. He was there for three years and survived his share of missions. I remember he would tell stories, usually the funny ones, when I was a kid. I remember he and I were watching a movie called 12 O'clock High with Gregory Peck (my father believed it was filmed on his base in England). In the movie there was a combat scene that showed actual combat video and audio. In the scene a B17 was seen smoking and rolling over as it went down. The audio that accompanied it a man said "there goes another Charlie" which was my fathers group. When I heard that I looked at my dad and he was sitting there with that 1000 yard stare and his eye has welled up with tears. It was the first time I had ever seen him tear up. He then told me a story of a mission where they put 20 bombers in the air and only 4 returned. I was only about 10 at the time and didn't understand a lot about war then. I miss him.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6896 Times on 3465 Posts
Likes Given: 7484

Ive mostly heard the funny stories like you Lawman. The Band of Brothers theme was so strong in these people. They did try to make thes best out of the worst situations and when they came home, they reinvigorated the nation with their stories, fortitude and devotion to our nation and their families.

Does anyone remember the commercials back in the day, "Don't forget, hire the Vet"? We couldn't get enough Veterans to fill the jobs back then. The military has created more leaders than every single college and university in this nation combined, we know that is true. Employers recognized that the US Military seal of approval meant they were getting a high quality, field tested product and we owed those Vets our Lives and at least a job as a small debt of gratitude.

Today, Veterans status falls somewhere between Once owned Sheep and I have a gay son. If your an American African, transgendered, Lesbian, Hermaphrodite of American Indian heritage, your getting the job! The only Veterans getting any attention are the ones weve mortally wounded. Nobody with a heart would deny they deserve the very best we can offer but how about their comrades?

Most of the Vets I served with have been deployed at least once and many have been to both sandboxes, multiple times. They truly are our future, no less so than our greatest generation that has for the most part now moved on to their next and final duty station. They were the greatest because we recognized their strengths and encouraged them to teach us what they know without living what they nearly died for.

The greatest generation will always be the next one to come but only if we treat it with the respect and dignity it deserves by preserving the principles that allowed the last greatest generation to earn that hallmark.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 10-07-2012 at 01:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

Web key Fosbery I couldn't have put it better. I served in the Army for four years, mostly with the 1st Cav and I've spent the last 20+ in law enforcement. During the interviews on the last promotion test they asked a friend of mine questions regarding college credits but nothing about his service in the Navy. I know an education is important but I've met many college grads that had no common sense what so ever. It's like military service is a "oh that's nice" kind of thing. It's sad.