American Made?????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > American Made?????

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gadrooning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 327
Default American Made?????

I never did understand the arguement of buy Ford, buy Chevy, buy John Deer, it is American. ???? I usually get a tick when I hear or read someone saying " well thats why I bought american. ???? I think people are still in the dissalution that these "domestic" companies are 100 percent American. I am all about America first, but people have to wake up and realize these corperations are global. Fords, Chevy, John Deer, etc. are global. Same is true for the so called foreign importers such as Kia, Toyota, bmw, etc. These are made and assembled in the US as well, filling the pockets of our american blue collar workers and shareholders. Did you know that Buick does more sales in China that the us? I am just using the automobile industry as an example. This pertains to all industries. I have owned Fords, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Nissans, Toyota's, and currently drive a BMW. That's right a Bmw. Guess what it is a 100 percent made in Spartensburg SC. It is German engineered and a 100 percent american made. If you are so apt to stand on your soapbox of american made. I have one question for you. Where do you do most of your shopping. I willing to bet most of us will say Walmart. Did you know Walmart is the biggest importer in the world. They bring in more containers than any other company, mostly from China. I am willing to bet that the clothes that you are wearing including your shoes are either manufactured in China, Korea, or Mexico. I am not against Walmart since they do provide a valuable service and provide jobs for thousands if not millions of Americans. Think American, think Global.

__________________

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

gadrooning is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

+1 on this. Finally someone that thinks like I do.

__________________
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Major Kusanagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 372
Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

+1 as well.

I think many people forget that we build many of the foreign investors technological and infrastructure products that are made right here in the States. Just because it has a Korean or Japanese name on doesn't mean it is made in those countries. As you said, think American, think global.
May I also add to your argument that just because an individual advocates buying American and tries to practice what they preach doesn't always mean that what they are getting a quality product. Heck, look at what we talk most on here: weapons. There are plenty of weapons made 100% in Germany, Czech Republic, Croatia, Switzerland, and Belgium that are top notch in quality.

I sometimes think we as a nation have a tendency to use a blind, almost quasi-nationalistic faith in defining what it means to be American, especially when it comes to products made here. I think people forget that it isn't a trade goods that defines a nation. It is their borders, language, and culture that does. I just wish more people understood that.

__________________

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Major Kusanagi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TXnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy,Texas
Posts: 1,376
Default

The important thing is to TRY to buy items that are actually made in the US, by Americans, where your dollars are going to some business that actually pays wages to Americans.

In the early 80's I finally listened to my Dad who would always tell me to buy American every time I bought a Honda or Toyota vehicle. Back then neither Honda or Toyota had US manufacturing. So I bought a Dodge van. Took it home and then saw the sticker "Assembled in Mexico". Crap. Later I bought a Dodge Ramcharger, took it home and saw the sticker "Assembled in Canada". Crap x 2.

Today I buy Ford trucks, because I can see which US plant it was assembled in. However, I have to accept that some parts or component assemblies may be of foreign supply. I will not buy a GM or Chyrsler product because they took the Obama stimulus money. I would buy a US made Honda or Toyota.

__________________

TXnorton

TXnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,808
Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
I will not buy a GM or Chyrsler product because they took the Obama stimulus money. I would buy a US made Honda or Toyota.
I agree with everything said so far, but wanted to see this part repeated. Until they repay all the money (like that will ever happen) they are bankrupt companies as far as I'm concerned. Which sucks because I just bought a crossover (Mazda CX-9) and really liked some of the GM options but would not consider them.
__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Highpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upper Mississippi Valley
Posts: 1,547
Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default

Quote:
The important thing is to TRY to buy items that are actually made in the US, by Americans, where your dollars are going to some business that actually pays wages to Americans.
If the US could manufacture quality goods at reasonable prices, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to "buy American". My problem is I always see one or the other - but rarely both.

Also, I have worked for both Toyota and Honda in the past (19 years) and they paid this American, very handsomely.
__________________
Highpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jo da Plumbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,754
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
If
Also, I have worked for both Toyota and Honda in the past (19 years) and they paid this American, very handsomely.
But understand that Japanese Companies don’t make cars here out of the goodness of their hearts. They make cars in America because it increases their profits. Those profits then go back to Japan. Taxes on those profits are paid to Japan. And some of those profits go to buying American real estate. Not too long ago Japanese companies held much if not most of the investment real estate in Honolulu. They also owned many of the high-rise office buildings in Los Angeles. American companies can’t buy property in Japan but we sell them our country.
__________________
Quote:

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Jo da Plumbr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Those profits then go back to Japan. Taxes on those profits are paid to Japan. And some of those profits go to buying American real estate.
While i agree that it is better to buy products made in the U.S. by U.S. companies, it can be challenging these days. That isn't exactly the whole truth, though. Though taxes are paid to Japan on what Toyota earns from its U.S. divisions, taxes are also paid to the U.S. on the earnings of those U.S. divisions, since the divisions themselves are U.S. corporations. Additionally, Toyota operations here do contribute to the public coffers through payroll & property taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_North_America Wiki list of Toyota's companies in the U.S.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.


Last edited by orangello; 02-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Highpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upper Mississippi Valley
Posts: 1,547
Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
But understand that Japanese Companies don’t make cars here out of the goodness of their hearts.
And the US companies do?

I know what you are saying Jo, and I agree. So what are we to do? MORE bail out money because we can't compete with their success?
__________________
Highpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
So what are we to do? MORE bail out money because we can't compete with their success?
We need to do what they did after the U.S. rebuilt their country post WW2, learn what our competitors do & do it better.

The big Japanese secret of Just In Time inventory (big advantage in the 80's & 90's) was suposedly copied from Piggly Wiggly grocery stores here in the U.S. Maybe some U.S. manufacturers should find a way to have decent employee relations without being unionized; that would save a bit on each car. I read an estimate (late '90's numbers) that about $1500 of the selling price of the theoretical "average U.S.-made car" was needed to cover insurance benefits for union employees. Maybe U.S. companies could try that Japanese development process that starts with a proposed product & estimated selling price & profit margin & works backwards to make that product for the selling price less the profit margin.

I don't think this country can live on income from the service sector alone; we need some manufacturing too.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Centurion 39 Sporter Rifle (100% American Made) ARnoob AK & SKS Discussion 7 07-02-2014 10:35 PM
American-Made Firearms SGT-MILLER General Handgun Discussion 42 07-02-2011 01:47 AM
American made 1911 Gojubrian 1911 Forum 84 01-26-2011 04:20 AM
Are you an AMERICAN? spittinfire The Club House 14 07-29-2009 10:36 AM
U.S. made 55 - gr. FMJ .223 Ammo (made by a Department of Defense contractor) ARnoob Ammunition & Reloading 3 07-02-2009 09:22 PM