American Guns - Rip Off? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

American Guns - Rip Off?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i'll stand by my opinion regardless. $1700 can buy way much more than was shown on the show. but hey, it's TV! what does the general public know about guns? many just what they see on TV. so now the general public thinks they have to spend $1700 on their old shotgun to have a viable HD shotgun. yeah shows like this really are good for setting an image of gun shops, gunsmiths, and gun owners in general.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,694
Liked 3241 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

This was the only episode I've actually watched most of the way through. Spending $1700 to build a $500 shotgun is stupid, I don't care who you are.
When they were quoted $2500 to paint the stock on the super duper sniper rifle I was shocked. I can't see more than a few hundred to paint a stock, even w/ the cutsy graphics.
Maybe they could team up with Red jacket and blow up a whole building
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Overkill0084 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
This was the only episode I've actually watched most of the way through. Spending $1700 to build a $500 shotgun is stupid, I don't care who you are.
When they were quoted $2500 to paint the stock on the super duper sniper rifle I was shocked. I can't see more than a few hundred to paint a stock, even w/ the cutsy graphics.
Maybe they could team up with Red jacket and blow up a whoile building
i could buy the most expensive parts and accessories for an 870, have them shipped next day air, and still don't think i could spend $1700 on it!

i saw part of the paint job, but didn't catch the price of it. $2500? where? and given the budget of $5000 for the entire rifle, $2500 is half of it for something that adds nothing to it's accuracy. when i want an accurate rifle, i build the accuracy in first, then i might concentrate on making it look pretty.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,428
Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i could buy the most expensive parts and accessories for an 870, have them shipped next day air, and still don't think i could spend $1700 on it!

i saw part of the paint job, but didn't catch the price of it. $2500? where? and given the budget of $5000 for the entire rifle, $2500 is half of it for something that adds nothing to it's accuracy. when i want an accurate rifle, i build the accuracy in first, then i might concentrate on making it look pretty.
In the end they got the paint down to $2000, but still. A LE agency Spending 2k on a fancy paint job for a rifle doesnt seem very responsible with funding.
__________________
Semper paratus.....virtute et armis
MrWray is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
In the end they got the paint down to $2000, but still. A LE agency Spending 2k on a fancy paint job for a rifle doesnt seem very responsible with funding.
i agree, and as a taxpayer i find a large problem with this if my county or city did such a thing. equipping a unit with firearms they need to do their job is one thing, a $2000 paint job is way stupid and adds nothing to the rifle.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,428
Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i agree, and as a taxpayer i find a large problem with this if my county or city did such a thing. equipping a unit with firearms they need to do their job is one thing, a $2000 paint job is way stupid and adds nothing to the rifle.
To me the paint was tacky looking anyway, too foo foo for a duty rifle. Whenever the chief first described the paint that he wanted it was "something that will blend with the environment" and in the end that thing couldnt blend in with a crayon box.
__________________
Semper paratus.....virtute et armis
MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,694
Liked 3241 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
To me the paint was tacky looking anyway, too foo foo for a duty rifle. Whenever the chief first described the paint that he wanted it was "something that will blend with the environment" and in the end that thing couldnt blend in with a crayon box.
It's a sniper rifle for a working SWAT team. It's going to get dinged up. Why not some Krylon Primer w/ Flat Black? Then just stick an org. decal on it? $2K will get you a half decent spray job on a car.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
Overkill0084 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,428
Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

It's a sniper rifle for a working SWAT team. It's going to get dinged up. Why not some Krylon Primer w/ Flat Black? Then just stick an org. decal on it? $2K will get you a half decent spray job on a car.
Thats exactly what i was thinking, rifles are handled , layed against things, and normally will get rubbed against stuff. If that rifle gets used like its supposed to, that 2k paintjob wont hold up better than any $5 rattle can of krylon flat black or OD will.. I could have saved them $1995.00. That 2k could have bought a few more handguns, a few more vests, or a couple of Tasers for the officers.
__________________
Semper paratus.....virtute et armis
MrWray is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sputnik1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Bluegrass state
Posts: 2,882
Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Default

Did you guys see the $20,000 semi auto lightweight Thompson?

He could have kept the one he had, bought a full auto one AND an aluminium receiver model and spent less...

Then there was the zebra gun... A $500 M&P45, A two day $100 trigger job and $800 paint all for $1500 and Paige "only made $100". You expect me to believe that they sold the pistol at cost?
__________________
Just passing through...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر
sputnik1988 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

I was fortunate enough to meet the local SWAT "Observer" while at my range awhile back. He actually let me put 5 rounds downrange with his issued rifle. Looked like an M40 with a Miculek type comp on it. Tan stock. He would ask me which silhouette I was aiming for, at distances from 300-600 meters, and would then "dial in" the scope for POA/POI. Amazing rifle, and very cool guy.

His rifle looked NOTHING like the AG rifle with that ridiculous paint job. It's almost like they prefer to make a caricature of a gun, rather than what's actually needed.
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
American Guns? ttdub Engraving & Refinishing 14 05-17-2012 04:51 AM
American Guns series - ya or nay GunHo General Handgun Discussion 32 04-30-2012 02:49 AM
what yall think about american guns? vito77 The Club House 20 11-28-2011 02:43 AM
AMERICAN GUNS last night.... ArizonaLawman The Club House 37 11-04-2011 09:18 PM
American Guns texaswoodworker The Club House 3 09-29-2011 03:13 AM



Newest Threads