Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > America Alone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Steyn is a great speaker and writer, and his humor is great. America Alone is an outstanding book and well worth reading. The only thing I did not care about it was Steyn injecting light-heartedness or humor on very serious and sobering topics; there's a time and place for that. This book wasn't it, IMO.

As long as we're recommending books, let me throw out the following suggestions:

• 1776 by David McCullough
    Really interesting because there is correspondence from those who fought in the early days of the war. Fascinating!
  • His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph Ellis
    You will develop a new respect for this genius. He was the right man at the right time for the right job. And his job was unenviable!
  • The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes
    We focus on those who were unemployed during the great depression, but this book shines a bright light on the folks who were employed and suffered at the hands of government as a result during this time.
  • The 5000 Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen
    Brilliant argument showing how our system of government is unique and how it radically transformed the concept of government that had been in place throughout recorded history. (Unfortunately, we are sliding back into the old ways and dispensing with our system of government that made America great.)
  • John Adams by David McCullough
    Often overlooked, Adams was brilliant. Logical, direct, driven, focused.
  • Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
    Excellent history of Hamilton. Honestly, I came away with far less respect for Hamilton than I had before I read the book.
  • Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
    True-life story of how a Navy Seal, Marcus Luttrell, survived an overwhelming fight against the Taliban in Afghanistan and dealt with locals who took him in and tended to his wounds.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Here is a good book that I recommend to anyone interested in good fiction about Montana. Where The Sea Used To Be by Rick Bass. In fact any book by Rick Bass. He has well developed characters, strong plot lines, and a unique perspective on anything that he describes. I strongly recommend.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."