The amazing Kelly Kettle (Volcano Kettle)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The amazing Kelly Kettle (Volcano Kettle)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The amazing Kelly Kettle (Volcano Kettle)

I bought this Kettle about 2 years ago and take it with me hunting, fishing, and hiking. This is really an amazing design. It boils up a liter of water under a couple of minutes, just by twigs, pinecones or just paper. It works even better on a windy day. Just point the bottom opening towards the wind and you a freakin torch. I actually got a cooking top and pan that sits on top to cook at the same time you are boiling water. Everything collapses in at the bottom opening. Pretty slick. Thought I'd share this with you if you are a camping, woodsy nut like me.

This works really well ice fishing. My propane stove will not keep running on really cold days or run really slow. Just bring some newspaper and the kettle and your good to go.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #2

Ooh, I really want one of those. That thing looks awesome! The complete kit goes for around $110 from what I can tell. I couldn't find any retailers in the US that resell it. Do I have to order online to get one?

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 03-09-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: removed signature

Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Yeah, but it was really cheap to ship it. I think I paid around $11 to ship it from overseas, but that was a couple of years ago. I wouldn't think it would cost much to ship. I will tell you it is worth every penny. Slicker than sh&t. Luv mine.

Last I checked there were two sizes. I got the bigger one.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

It looks pretty nice but I have no idea why it would be that expensive. It doesn't look like it costs much to produce.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
It looks pretty nice but I have no idea why it would be that expensive. It doesn't look like it costs much to produce.
Yeah, it does seem to be overpriced. Although, the $100 kit contains not just the kettle but a cooking set:

Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle® - Complete Kit | Kelly Kettle Kits | Kelly Kettle Co.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #6

This link below shows the cooking set. It actually is a pretty comlpicated design, especially with the sealed inner and outer wall. Plus the cooking set is pretty well thought out. The cavity in the center makes for a great storage area for dehydrated soups, paper, and matches.

It may be a little investment, but think about it. You have absolutley zero operating cost after. What does it cost to burn a few twigs. Plus have you tried to cook on propane stove on a windy day? I am not trying to be a salesman, but I thought this was one of the greatest camping products thats out there. Check out youtube. There are lots of reviews on this.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #7

I don't disagree that it seems to be a great invention and something I'd like to have with me on a camping trip where I could actually lug that beast around. If I am going on a day hike or overnight, I tend to stick with my MSR PocketRocket instead.

MSR® PocketRocket™ ultralight canister-fuel stove

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Well, I DO have a few of backpackers stoves- 2 propane, one white gas. If I am packing, and want to cook for more than just me, I take the cheapskate route. I use a #10 can (gallon sized). Church key was used to make 4 vents spaced along the SIDE of the closed end, and a 2 inch opening cut in the side of the open end. Add twigs, pine cones, Democrat campaign literature, and you can fry eggs, boil water, etc on the top- which is big enough for a good sized skillet. Weight is minimal, bulk- well, wrap in plastic bag, store stuff inside the can.

The Kelly Jug is a neat item- but as I said, I'm a cheapskate. PS- have another can that has been modified (3 can lids, 6 stove bolts, a metal knob) and THAT is my oven for baking biscuits, corn bread, etc. That one uses hot coals instead of twigs- but the kids love my hot cornbread with beef stew when we hike.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-09-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, I DO have a few of backpackers stoves- 2 propane, one white gas. If I am packing, and want to cook for more than just me, I take the cheapskate route. I use a #10 can (gallon sized). Church key was used to make 4 vents spaced along the SIDE of the closed end, and a 2 inch opening cut in the side of the open end. Add twigs, pine cones, Democrat campaign literature, and you can fry eggs, boil water, etc on the top- which is big enough for a good sized skillet. Weight is minimal, bulk- well, wrap in plastic bag, store stuff inside the can.

The Kelly Jug is a neat item- but as I said, I'm a cheapskate. PS- have another can that has been modified (3 can lids, 6 stove bolts, a metal knob) and THAT is my oven for baking biscuits, corn bread, etc. That one uses hot coals instead of twigs- but the kids love my hot cornbread with beef stew when we hike.
you'll have to post a pic of your stove.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

German Esbit stove, $4.97 at Cheaper Than Dirt: MLT-9092 - German ESBIT Stove and Fuel Tablet Folds for Compact Fit In your Pocket or Pack

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams