Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Am i a traitor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4516 Times on 2186 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
They took the money from the gobermint.

The gubermint shafted the bond holders and took up to 70% of salary employees retirement.

My guess anyway.
Bingo...

Don't buy from the bailout boys... Eff em... Let em die.

Tack

Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #82

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

A coworker bought a silverado, he bragged about the mileage he was gonna get with four cylinders shutting off. To do that, you have to activate an oil management system, now it tells him to change the oil every 1200-1500 miles. He didn't want to change the oil that often, so he's back on 8 cylinders full time.

GM took the bailout, along with dodge, so I will stick with Ford. Nissan and Toyota are good trucks, but I can't get over the fact that buying them just exports $ out of our country and our economy, regardless if they are made in the states.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #83

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Never been a Ford or Chevy guy when it comes to trucks, I like the Toyota. But the Ford Raptor would be awesome!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #84
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7308

I find that every make and model have the same flaw, the nut behind the steering wheel. That being said..........

I currently drive a 1992 Ford F-150 with the 5 speed manual and the 300 inline 6. Now, i have owned Fords, Dodges, and Chevrolets in the past, and I find that all of them have good points and bad points. if you want a decent work truck pretty much any make will do the job. if you want a more "car like" ride, buy a GM truck. If you don't mind the fact that your truck rides like what it is, a truck, go with Ford or Dodge. personally, I think that every make out there rides more like a car than a truck nowadays, but look at the 2 trucks that sit in my driveway, the above mentioned Ford, and my wife's 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport club cab.

I just spent the last week driving a GMC Yukon while my Ford was in the shop (clutch issues, AGAIN!). it rode real nice, even with 4500 pounds of scrap and trailer off the back, but I still missed my Ford. I buy a truck for what it is, a work vehicle. Amenities are nice, but I find they are just one more thing that will break over time. i like basic. basic works.

JStrong. Do I think you are a traitor? No. i myself would stick with Ford, but I would buy used. Not necessarily because I like order vehicles more, but because you usually get much more value in the long run going that route. A new truck loses half it's value the instant you drive it off the lot. On top of that, for the same amount, or sometimes less, you can buy a much better truck, with more options, than you will get brand new. The main reason I prefer Ford over the other make is that when the market tanked, Ford did not take the bail outs that were offered. They dealt with it themselve, and became a stronger company because of it.

Just my $0.02. Try as many makes and models as possible, then go with what works best for you. Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #85

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This is the mower and trailer my truck has trouble pulling.

And that's the truck pulling it. This whole train wreck is going to the shop.

The mower needs new battery, and whatever charging system it uses (alternator/generator, I don't know, not my forte), and a new clutch for the deck.

The truck needs it's FIRST oil change... And then it's going to the dealer for a new Trans.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #86

Forgot to add pic. Didn't take a shot of the truck, except the very tail of it. Just wanted to show the trailer/mower I'm pulling.

Truck is a 2013 ecoboost V6 with 6 speed auto.

It makes almost ALL of it's real power above 5K.

forumrunner_20130507_122653.jpg

Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5980 Times on 3274 Posts
Likes Given: 11434

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Best camo paint I never ever not seen.
Oh... There it is.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Best camo paint I never ever not seen.
Oh... There it is.
Yeah yeah yeah...

Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #89
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7308

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

And that's the truck pulling it. This whole train wreck is going to the shop.

The mower needs new battery, and whatever charging system it uses (alternator/generator, I don't know, not my forte), and a new clutch for the deck.

The truck needs it's FIRST oil change... And then it's going to the dealer for a new Trans.
Ford has been having auto-trans problems for over 20 years. I don't know what or why, but all but 3 of my friends who own Fords with autos had to replace the transmission within the first 3 years of ownership. One classmate of mine had his 1994 F-150 for a week (new off the dealer lot) before it had to go back in to have a new trans installed. This is why all but one oif the Ford trucks I have owned has had a manual trans. Granted, even they are not perfect, but i have found them far more reliable. At 203, 887 miles, mine is on clutch #2, and I just had to replace the brake\clutch pedal assembly and i have opted (willingly) to bypass the neutral safety switch. Sometimes, it is nice to be able to start the truck in gear, and not have to worry about it rolling back. IE. I am teaching my teenage daughter to drive stick, (JK she is doing very well ) and I sometimes go off road. Doing this can be handy when trying to traverse some part of the trails I run, or in some of the cities in the southern end of my county (not quite as bad as San Fran, but why do folks insist on putting a stop sign half way up an 8 degree slope? ).

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #90
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Ar10, where did you get all your specs no the gage of the sheet metal? And tell us more about how you register and insure a tractor trailer as a pickup, and have no CDL to drive it. Generally, DOT doesn't care what kind of trailer you are hauling. If I'm not mistaken, at a certain GVW, and with the addition of air brakes, it's automatically a CDL needed. And Class A too, because you got a bendy trailer.
Sheet metal. My neighbor in a business suite used to install fifth wheel and goose neck hitches. I saw the holes cut out of boxes of trucks. Ford f250 and 350 we're much thicker and harder to drill through.

State Farm. I use it as a pick up and they insure it that way. I am 56, been with them for decades. Have a A insurance rating. They also insure my V8 motorcycle. That is 5,700 CC's. Try buying insurance for that just anywhere.

Some states allow you to licence trucks and busses as motor homes, as long as you do no commercial hauling with it. Ever look at a million dollar motor home? Think for a minute it does not have air brakes?

One day I was going down the road, interstate, and on the other side, went flying a super cool rig pulling a convention trailer. I hit the next exit, turned around, and chaised after it to see what it was. Turned out to be a F-650 Supercruiser. Detroit only built about 300 of them, and used they bring in what a house costs.

I asked my truck dealer to find me one. He called me back, and said he could not find one for sale on a national search, but he had something better. He had this Kenworth Semi he purchased to pull his wife's horse trailer. He licenced it as a semi, and it was costing him an arm and a leg to licence and insure it, plus he had to hire a driver to man it, as it was DOT. After a year of doing that, he bought her a Dodge and a smaller trailer.

I told him I would buy it, if he would change the title to a motor home first, and I told him how to do it, as he had not heard of doing that.

We had to install a port a potty, cook stove, and a few other changes. It passed inspection, and the title, was retitled as a motor home.

So I purchased it for $26,000 and off I went.

At first the insurance quote came in at $4,000 a year, and I about fainted. Then the agent called the underwriter and told them my usage of the vehicle, and miles driven a year, and they rated it as a seldom used pick up for $300 a year. About $100 a trip, as we don't use it much.

Purchased some dirty fuel that got past the filters, and the repair bill was $9,000. Ouch!

Last edited by AR10; 05-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.