Always Ride a Mule - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Always Ride a Mule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3794 Times on 1823 Posts
Likes Given: 671

On liveleak there's a video of a horse doing this exact same thing to an attacking pitbull. If a horse can do it, I'm sure mules have that instinct.
And to say a mule can't or won't kill a mountain lion is just ignorant. Every animal has an instinct, and every animal can snap and catch an attacker clean off guard.
The Internet is full of videos and documentaries showing amazing footage of animals doing weird stuff, like dolphins rescuing a drowning person.

I'm not going to post the video here. It's one thing to see a horse kill a dog in pictures, but unsettling to see a dog get murder stomped for five minutes, then held in a puddle and drowned by a horse on video. Like I said. It's on liveleak.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Threetango Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #22

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Arent horses and donkeys extremely faithfull to there owners if treated right? Im sure a mule bein a mix of the two would be the same. As a kid my uncle had horses in Tennessee and i remember the horse starin down in between and just about take off after a stray dog after it barked at my cousin.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

A mule, being half donkey, will definately kill any critter it deems a threat. Most dairy farms down here have donkeys running with the cows. The donkeys will chase down and kill coyotes, for fun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #24

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why do you fellows keep calling me names ? You have used cuss words called me lazy and ignorant there is no need for this. So far as the Snopes Pics it was evident to me that was not taken on a Montana Range. The Snopes said the Pics were taken in New Mexico 10 years ago. There is no real prove any where that a mule killed a healthy Mtn. Lion. A treed Lion is shot thru the lungs with a .22 Mag. I expect the New Mexico Lion was lunged before the picture was taken. The plot hounds were setting and watching this kill. The hounds would have been going crazy and in the fight. Lets keep this discussion civil please.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #25

Robo Llamas are also used to chase dogs and coyotes. They can reduce the number of sheep kills. I have never known of a Llama killing a predator but they may have.
Coyotes killed about 12,000 head of sheep per state in the Rocky Mtns last year. The average cost per head $132 @. The average cost to kill a coyote from aircraft runs $192 dollars. So any device to reduce live stock loss is important.
The rise in wolf kills is changing things however. The wolf can and does kill anything. The wolves kill off the coyotes on the range. We kill our Lion qouta every year. But the Lion population remains high. There was a young high school student killed by a Lion south of my place a few years ago. This is a Wyoming wolf killed this winter.

wyoming-wolf.jpg  

Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #26

Liked 3794 Times on 1823 Posts
Likes Given: 671

That's a big wolf!!!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #27

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I have never known of a Llama killing a predator but they may have.
Yet somehow it's impossible to believe a mule or donkey is capable of killing a predator.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #28

Mosin the wolf is a large animal. Most folks relate wolves to the German shepherd dogs that play wolves in movies. I also have a picture of a mature Lion we killed on the Platte River about the same size.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #29

Mosin the Rocky Mtn Lions are Big animals. However Texas produces some Big cats. This Lion was hit by a car in Texas. A lion of this size can take down anything. I wonder what the car looked like after it hit this big boy.

texas-lion.jpg   lion.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 820 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 382

I must have missed something here these pics have been bouncing around the internet for 10 years or more and each time the story is a little different. The link posted by Trip clearly states the lion was dead when the mule grabbed it! I think nitestalker was dead on when he said the countryside does not look like Montanna and the hounds would NEVER just sit there with a live lion thrashing around!!
The link posted by C3 states that while mules are effective against coyotes not so much against bears and lions.
Is it possible? Sure most anything is possible, is it probable? The pics in this thread are pretty much debunked by Snopes the description has nothing to do with reality the lion was dead!
Its a great little feel good story though kind of makes you want to hug a mule or even get one for Christmas

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.