Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 'Always Like a Girl' video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The people making the video are trying to sell feminine hygiene products by associating them with anti-misogynist statements. Regardless of the commercial intent, it broke my heart.

You missed the point of the video. It’s not about girls not being girls and women not being women. It’s about girls or women not being inferior or limited to boys or men because they’re girls or women.

As far as the genders “… suspose to be that way …” That is the issue. There shouldn’t be any “… suspose to be ..” People should be free to bloom and fly as they wish, providing they’re not doing it at someone else’s expense. As you yourself mention, “… hell I know women that will ride right with me and shoot just as good if not better.” Imagine that!

Disregarding your choice of using someone’s appearance as the qualifier to whether one can/could/should be a women or not, I could show you plenty of pictures of stunningly pretty people, all women, some male and some female.

Anyway, I didn’t mean to start a discussion on what’s the 'right way' to be a man or woman. There is no 'right way'. I just wanted to share something that tugged at my heart for all the people in the past that were limited by stereotypes, gender or otherwise. I’m sorry I posted it.
i thought your posts were well said and made some good points in how we view people as far as gender.

i think people should do whaever their heart tell them, regardless of what others think they should do. if a woman wants to do manly things like work on cars or shoot guns, they should do it. if a woman prefers being more ladylike then that should be her decision to make, not that of society, or what other think.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #42
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5890 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 6246

Quote:
The people making the video are trying to sell feminine hygiene products by associating them with anti-misogynist statements. Regardless of the commercial intent, it broke my heart.

You missed the point of the video. It’s not about girls not being girls and women not being women. It’s about girls or women not being inferior or limited to boys or men because they’re girls or women.

As far as the genders “… suspose to be that way …” That is the issue. There shouldn’t be any “… suspose to be ..” People should be free to bloom and fly as they wish, providing they’re not doing it at someone else’s expense. As you yourself mention, “… hell I know women that will ride right with me and shoot just as good if not better.” Imagine that!

Disregarding your choice of using someone’s appearance as the qualifier to whether one can/could/should be a women or not, I could show you plenty of pictures of stunningly pretty people, all women, some male and some female.

Anyway, I didn’t mean to start a discussion on what’s the 'right way' to be a man or woman. There is no 'right way'. I just wanted to share something that tugged at my heart for all the people in the past that were limited by stereotypes, gender or otherwise. I’m sorry I posted it.
There are limitations and strengths each gender is generally endowed with, some just cant be overcome. Womens bodies are not as muscular as mens, the Army APFT test will always reflect that as long as strength has anything to do with fighting wars. Even if were very good at our jobs, most men lack organization and prioritization skills to keep a family afloat along with being socially inept, we can learn but it really doesnt come naturally.

So many other things are just learned or unlearned skills. Woman my not have the strength to hold up a sheet of rock and hang it but if taught how to use a lift can do it well. Thats good especially if their idiot Neanderthal husband splits two disks in his back showing how manly he is hangling a ceiling without one! My Mom was ripping and tearing, sheetrocking and mudding 2 years after my Dad died (very young).

As someone else pointed out, young men dont seem to have these talents anymore either. Thats because old Men (and Women) aren't teaching them how to do it and they have no interest in finding out how to do it. No Man or Woman is exempt from learning a new skill, some accommodations need to be made to overcome certain things like strength, thats why they make cool tools kids, so everyone can play, its all about physics, you cant change a tire with a normal tire iron but you likely could with a breaker-bar or battery powered impact wrench!

Telling people they cant do something because of birthright or gender is more than often wrong (Other than making an egg or Creating Sperm to fertilize an egg), No different than telling American Indians or Africans they cant make it in this country without the Government helping them every step of the way, BS for sure.

I still think most of those are old stereotypes, unfortunately that doesnt mean were better off, now nobody know how to use the sewing machine or unplug the toilet, thats better isnt it????
Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #43
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6962 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 8380

Quote:
I’m sorry I posted it.
Let me know if you want this thread closed or deleted.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #44
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1683 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Let me know if you want this thread closed or deleted.
Oh it's okay Windy. I've said my peace and may be done with it. I wouldn't want to stop anyone else who wants to speak their mind though.
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #45
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5890 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 6246

Quote:
Oh it's okay Windy. I've said my peace and may be done with it. I wouldn't want to stop anyone else who wants to speak their mind though.
Men and Women are different from each other, Women and Women, Men and Men are also diff than each other. I think the point of the commercial was to say how you say what you say can be just as hurtful as what you say. Derogatory is derogatory no matter what you meant to say.

V, your a very brave and interesting member of our club and citizen of our great nation. Your story captured my attention unlike many sorta like them that Ive heard on the tube because your one of us (The good with the bad). I say "one of us" respectfully and affectionately because you are exactly what FTF is about even if it may seem to some not to be so. Youve made some really tough choices yet remain positive and very inciteful while walking paths that were filled with voids and tragedies we mostly cannot relate to.

I pray your future years will be less challenging and more restful then the ones leading up to this day. Heres one of the nice parts about growing old! If we get a chance to age with grace and humility, what folks see when they look at us matters less to us than who folks get to know once they get past the degeneration of our physical youth.

Back to the thread. I hope this commercial is what it feels like to me, advertisers playing on the heart strings of people that experienced this as children long ago to attempt to sell product. These are about the best times in our nations history to challenge and defeat old notions I think have been proven false. Women and Men both have the best chances in history to be all that they can be regardless of past suppositions. Technology and training can make any human as powerful and productive as Atlas for most things worthy of our commitment, the others dont matter that much in the long run anyways.

Who really cares about a 90 MPH pitch or the lack of the ability to throw one? So you can outrun a cheetah, I can outrun both you and the cheetah on a minibike, NBD. You may be large enough to bowl down a row of humans with your head but I think its MUCH more important that you can use your head for more than a battering ram.

I say I feel Like Sh!t Sometimes but obviously thats just a stupid thing to say cause sh!t dont feel and if it did, I dont speak the same language as sh!t so I wouldnt have a clue as to what Sh1t feels like! Like a girl, like a guy, like a human or like a dog is just like, it isnt actual, measurable or punishable. Like can be a dis-empowering word as well as empowering. Someone trying to steal anothers thunder using it as a slur are displaying extreme ignorance, those who laugh at that ignorance giving credence are just as bad as the spectators watching the bully do their dirty deed.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #46
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52509

Quote:
i'll speak my mind!

personally, i enjoy your veiwpoints on different subjects. i may not even agree with everything you have said, but there have been times that i have rethought my own viewpoints because of things you have said. i have come to have much respect for you and your posts since being here. i find some to be thought provoking, some quite humorous, and some very informative from a different perspective than mine.
People Like This