Alternate Energy & Fuels - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Alternate Energy & Fuels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 799 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Well my idea of the flywheel , it would a massive piece no doubt and the more tons the better . As far as spooling it back up , that would depend on how long the wheel would turn . An old steam engine runs fine of air or a little diesel that would run just long enough to get the rpms back up . Tons and super slick support bearings .

Im sure with a private small scale hydro you would run into big time red tape .
The wet lands at my house are on a 400 year flood plain and no one can do anything to it , the stream that feeds it has very little flow and most is stagnate . Now a coastal tide pool or holding would be cool for a hydro but it would need to be on a massive scale .

Nuke , imo is one of the best ways to roll for a steady high output .
It would be bad ass to have your own small scale reactor but I dont see that going down for the next 100 years . I know NC State university has one in a lab they play with but i dont thinnk its pumping out any juice

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
If you're on the grid it opens up all kinds of possibilities. One of which is 'selling' solar to the grid all day when rates are higher, and pulling off the grid it at night, when the rate are lower, to run recharge heat storage systems, batteries, etc. The grid is your battery.
This is a "grid-tied" or "net metering" system.You can do it with any type of generator, but solar is the most common. My system is currently grid-tied but eventually I would like to go off-grid.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I have geothermal to heat my house n workshop. Have to have a second source to heat with for those really cold days that dip to colder than a mother-in-laws kiss. Works great to cool the house in the summer time

Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #14

My house is in a shady tree area , hence not much wind ,sun or anything else beyond skeeters and humidity .

Viking , how does your 5k gallon tank work and what purpose does it serve ?
How do you keep the bacteria and such in check ?

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #15

Liked 1127 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
If you're on the grid it opens up all kinds of possibilities. One of which is 'selling' solar to the grid all day when rates are higher, and pulling off the grid it at night, when the rate are lower, to run recharge heat storage systems, batteries, etc. The grid is your battery.

There are places that do this with hydro. They generate power in the daytime and sell it. Then at night they pump water from the lower pond to the upper pond, when the rate is lower, and do it again the next day.
That's not really being more energy efficient it's just being economically efficient to yourself.

Another version of this is to selling your "green" energy as credits. You build a solar farm in Arizona that has no chance of making money in a fair market and rich people subsidize your solar farm so they can say they are being green even though their house is really New York powered by coal.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #16

Likes Given: 4

Solar, wind and bio-gas are most suitable alternate energy and fuels. But we have need more research for using it more suitable.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #17

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
That's not really being more energy efficient it's just being economically efficient to yourself.Another version of this is to selling your "green" energy as credits. You build a solar farm in Arizona that has no chance of making money in a fair market and rich people subsidize your solar farm so they can say they are being green even though their house is really New York powered by coal.
This is true.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #18

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

My electric company charges me almost 10% of my bill so they can help pay other people to install solar panels!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #19

I think i can convert my f350 to run off smokeless powder

I have run outboards and other small engines off of oxygen and acetylene from the cutting torch , but only in an attempt to cause harm due to being bored at work .
They actually ran pretty good , If propane wont so high here id would be running that , and i hear nat gas is can be used in cars as well