(Almost) Killer Roo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > (Almost) Killer Roo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default (Almost) Killer Roo

Rogue roo tries to drown dog

Chris Rickard, pictured with his partner Liz, was badly injured by a roo who went on the attack

Grant McArthur
Herald Sun, November 23, 2009 4:45PM

* Kangaroo tried to hold man underwater
* Tried to disembowel him with its hind legs
* Man ended attack by elbowing roo in throat

A VICTORIAN man was almost drowned by a kangaroo after he dived into his farm dam to save his pet dog.

Chris Rickard, 49, of Arthurs Creek, is being assessed by Austin Hospital surgeons after being mauled by the 1.5m roo at 9am (AEDT).

He only managed to end the attack when he elbowed the kangaroo in the throat as it tried to hold him under water, The Herald Sun reported.

By then he had already suffered a deep gash across his abdomen as the kangaroo tried to disembowel him with its hind legs, as well as a deep gash across his forehead and further cuts and scratches across his chest.

Speaking from the hospital's emergency department, Mr Rickard said he was walking his blue heeler dog Rocky at the back of his property about 400m from his home when they woke the kangaroo which had been sleeping in long grass near the dam.

The startled roo jumped into the dam, and Rocky followed. The roo then grabbed the dog with its front paws and held it under water for about 20 seconds until Mr Rickard arrived.

"I thought I might take a hit or two dragging the dog out from under his grip, but I didn't expect him to actually attack me,'' Mr Rickard said. "I was stuck having to hold onto the dog with both hands because it was half drowned and I couldn't really see anything because the kangaroo just ripped into me.

"It was a shock at the start because it was a kangaroo, about 5ft high, they don't go around killing people. Then all of a sudden I realised the first hit gave me opened up a wide gash above my eye and blinded me.

"I was flailing away underwater carrying a dog with a kangaroo ripping into me.

"All I could do was just keep pushing for the bank and he was trying to push me under the water, so at that point I elbowed him in the throat and that made him back off a little bit.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Skippy quite the same as I used to - it might bring back a couple of bad memories."

Rogue roo tries to drown dog | Herald Sun

Quote:
"I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Skippy quite the same as I used to - it might bring back a couple of bad memories."
"Tch Tch Tch"

What's that homicidal look in your eye, Skip?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #2

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

The Kangaroo is named Skippy or is that just a term for all roo's? I'm trying to figure out if this kangaroo was wild or thought to be like a pet. Crazy stuff though.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't know much about them but from what I understand a kangaroo is quite strong. Are they known to be aggressive?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
The Kangaroo is named Skippy or is that just a term for all roo's? I'm trying to figure out if this kangaroo was wild or thought to be like a pet. Crazy stuff though.

Hey sorry guys! was using obscure local reference there. This roo would have been a wild one.

Skippy (the bush kangaroo^^) was a kids TV show way back, made on a shoestring budget it attained worldwide popularity, and is currently shown in Iran, of all places according to Wikipedia (huh?!)

In what we tend to take the piss out of now, Skippy alerted people to all sorts of danger just by making the 'tch tch' clicking noise, ie:

*Tch Tch Tch* "What's that Skippy? Uncle Wayne's fallen down a mine shaft? Strewth! We better get along and rescue him!"

lol

So well known that many aussies colloquially call all roos "skippy" as well as talking about that show specifically. Anglo-aussies are also known as "skips" by Lebanese/Arab and other nationalities here.

Yeah spittinfire, kangaroos can be pretty aggressive. They've got long claws, perfect for disembowling, see here:

Quote:
If you are approached by an aggressive kangaroo you should keep it at a safe distance so that it can't kick or scratch. For example, hold up a stick or branch, or stay behind a fence or a tree. Move away from the animal as quickly as you can. Turning your back on it and running could be dangerous as a large male can easily outrun you and still kick at the same time. Turn side-on and protect the front of your body with your arms and keep your head as far away from the kangaroo as possible to minimise the risk of being scratched on the face.

If it is a large male that has been displaying dominance behaviour, it may see you as a threat. Protect yourself and let the kangaroo know you are not a threat by giving a short, deep cough, avoiding eye contact and crouching down as you move away.

Females and smaller male kangaroos are less likely to be aggressive but may approach if they are used to being fed or have had a lot of human contact. Even though females are much smaller than males, they can scratch and kick and could pose a safety risk - particularly to small children.

As a last resort, if you can't escape an attacking kangaroo, roll up into a ball on the ground with your arm covering your neck and call for help. Try to roll or crawl away to a safe place.
https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_conservation/wildlife/living_with_wildlife/kangaroos.html

Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
*Tch Tch Tch* "What's that Skippy? Uncle Wayne's fallen down a mine shaft? Strewth! We better get along and rescue him!"
Lassie the dog did that same trick here in the U.S. Flipper the dolphin to a lesser degree.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wonder what horrible things could've happened if the poor guy had had a mossy pump 12 on his walk.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

Geez that is a shame. i guess i just cant fathom a kangaroo sleeping near a walkable area

Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Lassie the dog did that same trick here in the U.S. Flipper the dolphin to a lesser degree.
Funny you should say that. The show's producers got the whole idea from Flipper; they wanted an Australian slant on the theme so after discarding the wombat idea (very wise lol) they settled on a kangaroo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persuasive View Post
Geez that is a shame. i guess i just cant fathom a kangaroo sleeping near a walkable area
Hey the whole country/bush is covered in em, Persuasive. Cultivated grazing land & the provision of man-made dams has helped the numbers increase. In fact kangaroos outnumber the human population by more than 2 to 1 (estimated @ about 60mil. Nothing compared to the 115 mil sheep tho )

Eastern greys can get up to 95kgs (200 lbs) and 8ft tall so being hit by one of those would be pretty nasty!

Hear ya on the mossberg, orangello...but wouldn't it have had to have been an acquatic one? Might have been handy as a bludgeon I guess

Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

What's for dinner?: Kangaroo Recipes part 2; stir fries
Should try this.