Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Almost Killed in the buttes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Almost Killed in the buttes?

So while I was target shooting at connaught range with friends, as well as marking in the buttes, one of my friends had their elevation off, causing the bullet to land low, hitting the target frame, and ricocheting back into the buttes hitting a cement at chest height, about 6 inches from my friend.

I was wondering if anyone would know around how much energy the shot would have and if it wouldve been enough to kill my friend if it hit them in dead in the chest.

The bullet was an L42A1 military round (155 grains) travelling at about 340M/sec (it was still supersonic at 1000 yards) and the ricochet carved about 5-6mm deep and 4cm long gash in a cement wall.

oh and please tell me if this topic is in the wrong forum because this is my first thread.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2009, 04:40 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

In your first thread you should intorduce yoursrlf. I would suggest posting another thread with your introduction. Not a riccochet problem then we can go form there.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

And your first post!!

7.62 NATO or .303?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It sounds lik the bullet was still lethal to me,I know I would not want to get hit by it. I once had a friend that got grazed by a ricochet from shooting at at a concrete piling on a pipe crossing a river,it was a wake up call for him about shooting at hard objects with a firearm. And welcome to the forum.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

We, just for the sake of supposing, if round was barely supersonic- 155 grs at 1100 fps is 416 ft lbs. Assuming it lost half its energy on the bounce, that would have be 208 ft ft lbs. And yes, that is definitely enough to be fatal.

Working from the other end- a 5-6mm gouge in concrete would equate to a bullet penetrating several inches into your skull. Minimum compressive strength of sidewalk grade concrete is about 3000 lbs/sq inch. Compressive strength of human skull a few hundred lbs/ sq inch.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.