The Allure of the Gun. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Allure of the Gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #31
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 736 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
to further expand on the original question, lets assume that you have the guns you feel you need for most reasons that feel the need for them, what are your reasonings or emotions when buying one you want?

as i have my needs in guns covered and have for years, sometimes, i just browse the pawn shops and gun stores to see what might be available, or to see if i run across something that may be on my wish list at a decent price.
I always want to be prepared just in case I find myself in a shooting situation where I might say to myself "dang, I wish I had a...."
Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #32

Liked 3253 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 4900

KENDO...my Dango.........

Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
I always want to be prepared just in case I find myself in a shooting situation where I might say to myself "dang, I wish I had a...."
gee Deg, that's easy. just buy one of every gun ever made and you'll never have to say, "dang, i wish i had a............"

*****Disclaimer!*****

with your wife's approval of course!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #34
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 736 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
KENDO...my Dango.........
KENDO? I can't know what that means...

Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #35

Liked 3253 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 4900

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
KENDO? I can't know what that means...
"way of the sword".............
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think our interests in guns also drive what we seek out to buy sometimes as well. sometimes i think many of us also buy something we like, simply because there happened to be a good deal on it.

here's another question. how many buy a gun simply for a project they have in mind?

or buy one that might be cosmetically or mechanically challenged to refinish or repair and refurbish it?

i know i have bought several in poor cosmetic shape, that with little money in materials and some labor, have brought them back to looking and working great.

i have even bought a few new, just for a project i had in mind for them.
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #37

Liked 602 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i think our interests in guns also drive what we seek out to buy sometimes as well. sometimes i think many of us also buy something we like, simply because there happened to be a good deal on it.

here's another question. how many buy a gun simply for a project they have in mind?

or buy one that might be cosmetically or mechanically challenged to refinish or repair and refurbish it?

i know i have bought several in poor cosmetic shape, that with little money in materials and some labor, have brought them back to looking and working great.

i have even bought a few new, just for a project i had in mind for them.
Much too often. But not refurbish in my case. I tend to go for full blown custom jobs. I really enjoy taking a wall hanger of some type and breathing new life into it. My last/current project probably hadn't been shot in recent memory. So a basket case resurection.

I have a real tendency to have more projects going than I can finish in a reasonable time. I'll take some picts of my "bikers shotgun" as an example. Old beat Winchester mod 37a, I shortened the barrel, bobbed the stock to a mares leg, shortened the forearm to keep the proportions right and am adding a vent rib and dual beads. The rib is purely for a local ordinance against "sawed off shotguns". Its legal both in length of barrel(18") and OAL(27") but its a sawed off unless it has a bead sight or a vent rib. So I'm adding both. the short mares leg gets me around the "pistol grip" part of the law. Cylinder bore with one h^&l of a kick. Still working to lower/smooth/dehorn the barrel break lever to keep it from biting into my thumb again. Took a bloody bite out of me when I proof tested with a 3" buckshot load.

The gun started me thinking when I saw it. The action was tight but the forearm was cracked and missing the guard plate. The front bead was missing and the stock was missing ~2" at its toe. It wasn't worth fixing for the resale value ~$150 in good shape. Its a common 37a in 12 gauge not the high dollar collectable red letter mod 37 in a rare gauge. I got it for $50 out the door and was going to part it down, but something made me take another look. Cost me ~$30 for a aluminum forearm guard and a generic vent rib, plus my time so far. Way too much time.

Practical....NO.

Fun.....H%^L YES.

I was thinking about the short sawed off from the mad max movie. Double barrel is cool but I had an inexpensive break action in front of me. So a new time waster was born. Im thinking about some type of sling or sheath to throw it over my shoulder when I ride. Maybe some nice paracord with a few spare shells looped into it. Makes a nice addition to my bugout rig, the road warrior rides again....

I've had a few offers on it from people who have seen it at the shop, when I'm working on it. Both in excess of the $150 I think it was worth in "fixed" original shape. But I'm just not interested in selling it yet. I guess I'm not done playing with my new toy yet.....

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 07-01-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #38
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
"way of the sword".............

Edged weapon Martial art....Ken-Do..

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Newest Threads