The Allure of the Gun. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Allure of the Gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #21
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 369 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
My CC (P95 9mm) and beside the bed (12ga 500) guns are the only 2 that had any logic applied...The rest of them were impulse buys. Some i have grown to love, some not so much...The BP/SA revolvers, and lever guns are really starting to pile up...I'm addicted, and probably need help..........
Hmmm - I wonder if our gooberment has a plan in place to help you through this stressful situation. I'd reach out and see if there isn't a subsidy out there that you can resource for your addiction. Maybe they can secure funding for both guns and Mopars for you.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 03:10 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 31

What drives you when you buy a gun? Testosterone

Is it the looks or a particular platform? Yes

Function or form? It must work and it must look like a gun.

Does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires? All of the Above

Are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store? A Little of Both

Do you go by pure emotion or logic when buying? Same as Above

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 03:24 AM   #23

Liked 1023 Times on 570 Posts
Likes Given: 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
hmmm - i wonder if our gooberment has a plan in place to help you through this stressful situation. I'd reach out and see if there isn't a subsidy out there that you can resource for your addiction. Maybe they can secure funding for both guns and mopars for you.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #24

Liked 256 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Of course the goberment has a plan to help! Problem is it was written in komifornia by gun haters! Just move to new York and quit cold turkey.....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

to further expand on the original question, lets assume that you have the guns you feel you need for most reasons that feel the need for them, what are your reasonings or emotions when buying one you want?

as i have my needs in guns covered and have for years, sometimes, i just browse the pawn shops and gun stores to see what might be available, or to see if i run across something that may be on my wish list at a decent price.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #26

Liked 256 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
to further expand on the original question, lets assume that you have the guns you feel you need for most reasons that feel the need for them, what are your reasonings or emotions when buying one you want?

as i have my needs in guns covered and have for years, sometimes, i just browse the pawn shops and gun stores to see what might be available, or to see if i run across something that may be on my wish list at a decent price.
Probably the desire to try out something new(to me), or something that has never been done before. As I said I wildcat a lot, and that is almost always the search for better preformance in a given package. Applying new chemistry to older rounds, necking up or down to reach a ballistic objective. Increasing case capacity for higher velocity. And then taking your new baby out and wringing it out for the best accuracy.... , almost as good as sex!

And a new cartridge ALWAYS deserves a new gun, doesn't it?!? What good is a new cartidge without a rifle as sexxy as it is....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 06-30-2014 at 11:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #27

Liked 1023 Times on 570 Posts
Likes Given: 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Probably the desire to try out something new(to me), or something that has never been done before. As I said I wildcat a lot, and that is almost always the search for better preformance in a given package. Applying new chemistry to older rounds, necking up or down to reach a ballistic objective. Increasing case capacity for higher velocity. And then taking your new baby out and wringing it out for the best accuracy.... , almost as good as sex!

And a new cartridge ALWAYS deserves a new gun, doesn't it?!? What good is a new cartidge without a rifle as sexxy as it is....
File Type: jpg lit-cigarette-3-2447027.jpg (30.6 KB, 22 views)

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post

sometimes our desires or wants take us on a jouney to find a particular gun. sometimes the jouney can be as much fun as the destination when searching for a gun.

one in particular, was rifle i wanted in 280 Remington, after my father and i discussed the round years ago. that journey lasted about ten or eleven years until i found one a few years ago. sometime the destination is worth the journey. i really didn't have need for one, since my rifles in 30-06 and 7mm Mag. could cover anything that the 280 could do. but, it wasn't about need, but what i wanted.

some guns that are on my wish list are guns i overlooked years ago, but now capture my interest. some are guns i foolishly traded or sold that now give me regrets in doing so, and that i would like to replace if possible.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #29

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well i use logic and emotion in buying some.

some i buy simply because t want them, as i think every collection should have them, and really have no need for them other than the enjoyment they provide me with owning and shooting them.

some i have bought for simple and more practical reason, and for the most part, i have no emotional attachment to them. these are at any time likely to be traded or sold, only to be replaced by something similiar that fits the same purposes, but might be better than what i had for that specific purpose.

some have been bought for a specific purpose, and unless they fulfill my expectations of how i think they should perform, then they are sold or traded for something else. some have even been bought with a specific idea for a project they were intended for.

one think i can't abide is an ugly gun. personally, i have no desire to own an ugly gun. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different preferences is what appeals to us. there was a time several years ago, that my tastes in rifles leaned more to the pure utility and practical purposes of rifles with synthetic stocks. my tastes now are going back to what they were years ago and now wood and blued steel is taking up more of my collection than in years past. our preferences and desires in guns can change over the years as well. guns that didn't appeal to me years ago are much more desireable now to me.
This pretty much covers most reasons why I buy a particular gun. I like an attractive gun that fills a specific gap in my collection. And I like versatile guns that may even overlap more specialized guns. There are certain guns and calibers you must have (which may be different for each of us).

Rarely, I do go with an unattractive gun, like the Glock. I wanted a modern polymer handgun in 40S&W and after much research decided on the Glock which turned out right for me.

I don't do much reselling, I tend to be patient and am pretty sure when I buy.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3195 Times on 1812 Posts
Likes Given: 18479

Quote:
My CC (P95 9mm) and beside the bed (12ga 500) guns are the only 2 that had any logic applied...The rest of them were impulse buys. Some i have grown to love, some not so much...The BP/SA revolvers, and lever guns are really starting to pile up...I'm addicted, and probably need help..........
LEVERS .....DID YOU ...SAY. .......LEVERS , LEVERS.....I LOVE LEVERS , BRANGS OUT THE COWBOY IN ME , spurs.....the hat.......Weeee Haaaaa !
"Make My Day" , "A mans got to know his limitations" , "Dying ain't no way to make a living" , etc. , L..E..V..E..R..S..! ......45/70-22's , love em !
hug your LEVERS for Cindy and thing of little old me ! ....hug ready to , I'll never forget you two ! .......Auuuuuh LEVERS .....!