Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Allure of the Gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50407

well i use logic and emotion in buying some.

some i buy simply because t want them, as i think every collection should have them, and really have no need for them other than the enjoyment they provide me with owning and shooting them.

some i have bought for simple and more practical reason, and for the most part, i have no emotional attachment to them. these are at any time likely to be traded or sold, only to be replaced by something similiar that fits the same purposes, but might be better than what i had for that specific purpose.

some have been bought for a specific purpose, and unless they fulfill my expectations of how i think they should perform, then they are sold or traded for something else. some have even been bought with a specific idea for a project they were intended for.

one think i can't abide is an ugly gun. personally, i have no desire to own an ugly gun. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different preferences is what appeals to us. there was a time several years ago, that my tastes in rifles leaned more to the pure utility and practical purposes of rifles with synthetic stocks. my tastes now are going back to what they were years ago and now wood and blued steel is taking up more of my collection than in years past. our preferences and desires in guns can change over the years as well. guns that didn't appeal to me years ago are much more desireable now to me.

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #12

Liked 739 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

My CC (P95 9mm) and beside the bed (12ga 500) guns are the only 2 that had any logic applied...The rest of them were impulse buys. Some i have grown to love, some not so much...The BP/SA revolvers, and lever guns are really starting to pile up...I'm addicted, and probably need help..........

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

Liked 739 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

I really need an original Wells-Fargo Winchester...and a stainless 45-70 Guide gun...in case you guys are wondering what to get me for my Birthday......Just putin that out there.....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 06-29-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling-at least i try...lol
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50407

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
My CC (P95 9mm) and beside the bed (12ga 500) guns are the only 2 that had any logic applied...The rest of them were impulse buys. Some i have grown to love, some not so much...The BP/SA revolvers, and lever guns are really starting to pile up...I'm addicted, and probably need help..........
repeat this over and over.

i am a gun addict and i will buy more guns to feed my addiction!

i have a 9mm pistol that i bought almost 20 years ago. several times i have thought about selling or trading it, but for some reason, i just couldn't ever follow through with it. it is also one of my least shot pistols that i own, but eve still, i have somewhat of an emotional attachment to that pistol.

i think we all go through phases at some points, or our interests change as we are exposed to different types of guns. i know from being on this forum, that my interests in guns has changed to some degree, and sometimes add some that really interest me to my wish list.
rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #15

Liked 868 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 608

I have bought a few guns to say the least. I buy on impulse a bunch as most of what I buy has to be a bargain or I won't get it. There are exceptions of course but most are really good deals. I have said it before many times. If a gun goes bang and is safe to shoot I want to own it or at least be able to shoot it. Guns to me are an investment of some sort hence the good deal or I don't buy.

USMC 74-78

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

Liked 696 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well i use logic and emotion in buying some.

some i buy simply because t want them, as i think every collection should have them, and really have no need for them other than the enjoyment they provide me with owning and shooting them.

some i have bought for simple and more practical reason, and for the most part, i have no emotional attachment to them. these are at any time likely to be traded or sold, only to be replaced by something similiar that fits the same purposes, but might be better than what i had for that specific purpose.

some have been bought for a specific purpose, and unless they fulfill my expectations of how i think they should perform, then they are sold or traded for something else. some have even been bought with a specific idea for a project they were intended for.

one think i can't abide is an ugly gun. personally, i have no desire to own an ugly gun. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different preferences is what appeals to us. there was a time several years ago, that my tastes in rifles leaned more to the pure utility and practical purposes of rifles with synthetic stocks. my tastes now are going back to what they were years ago and now wood and blued steel is taking up more of my collection than in years past. our preferences and desires in guns can change over the years as well. guns that didn't appeal to me years ago are much more desireable now to me.
I like all the old ugly Army guns... And my "ugliest" gun is my favorite..
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 954 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 393

I purchase guns for two reasons.

1. I just like the gun. My Colt revolvers and US rifles were purchased because for this reason.

2. I determine that it provides a capability that I think I need and is what I would consider most suitable to the task for the price I'm willing to pay.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #18

Liked 1761 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 903

Like others-COH.
Handguns, I like classics. Blue or stainless revolvers, military, or just funky stuff.
My edc is a Sig 9mm, but I'm all over the place with handguns.

Rifles, lever actions and bolt actions. They must be wood. Not much into plastic rifles.

Some I wish I had back are
1875 Remington revolver
Walther PPK import
S&W Model 39
Browning reissue of the 1895 Winchester rile in 30-40 Krag.
94 Winchester Ranger

Some I'd like to have, just because
Wolverene 22
Spas 12 gauge
Colt Delta Elite
Ruger 1911
Hammered Coach Gun
CZ Rami
Weatherby Mark V wood, of course

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Last edited by boatme98; 06-29-2014 at 11:45 PM.
rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

Since the needs are pretty much covered I have to say it is mostly impulse. Lever guns, Ruger revolvers and 1911's are always on the shopping list. Also I see another AR in my future. Just can't decide if I want to build or buy .

Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 AM   #20

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

what drives you when you buy a gun?
Have a specific purpose in mind.

is it the looks or a particular platform?
platform

function or form?
Both must fit my plan

does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?
Never from a magazine - Some from forum discussions ideas

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?
Usually purpose - But a Pre-64 M70 Win has been known to light up my spontaneity

do you go by pure emotion or logic when buying?
Logic except for the Pre-64s