The Allure of the Gun.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Allure of the Gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default The Allure of the Gun.

what drives you when you buy a gun?

is it the looks or a particular platform?

function or form?

does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?

do you go by pure emotion or logic when buying?

just seeing how others base their buying decisions on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

1. What drives you when you buy a gun?
Mad money in the pocket if I have it

2. Is it the looks or a particular platform?
The looks (condition) go a long way and the platform? Lately I've been nuts about lever guns and side by side double barrel shotguns with exposed hammers. You can keep you ARs... An SVT40? Krag? Now ur talkin'

3. Function or form?
See number 2

4.Does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?
Rarely, I was however a little influenced by some magazine articles when I bought my Ruger LCP 380. I really don't care for that gun...

5. Are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?
Lately its been spontaneity

6.Do you go by pure emotion or logic when buying?
If it's a really beautiful gun logic goes right out the window

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 460 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 917

That itch for something new, or something to fill a different purpose

Both matter. Who wants a gun that is butt ugly?

function or form?
Depends on the purpose. Generally you get what you want for what you want.

does it stem from seeing a particular gun in a magazine or talk on a forum that makes you seek one out to test to see if it meets your particular needs or desires?
Definitely

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store?
Purpose. I never buy a gun without doing research on it.

Logic, but also some emotion when it comes to the final choice. There are good options out there for any purpose. Logic narrows it down to a handful, then emotion (and money) makes the final decision.

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 616 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

Usually, something involving shooting, be it a Clay's event or a hunt, or going out plinking. Probably why I have so many guns

Usually after I decide what I think I need (want) then I usually end up buying for the nicest one on the shelf.

function or form?
I might not understand this question, I'm sure it will be an oh duh once you splain it to me...

It can; actually, I think it has a lot of influence on me - that and seeing others with something and liking it.

are you driven by purpose or spontaneity when you see something in the gun store? Yes and yes

After my logical side convinces me I "need" the gun then my emotions kick end and cause me to upgrade.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

I forgot to mention, I like odd guns too. That's why I bought that .22 short beretta not long ago. It was in pristine condition, was a Baretta and shot an unusual caliber i thought. I'm glad I got it now. Killed a snake with it last summer.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Liked 336 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Usually have a specific need and occasionally looking to try something new.

Usually the platform which is dictated by what I need it for.

function or form?
Function driven mostly by ergonomics.

Never stems from a magazine or talk on forum. Firearms to me, are no more than a platform to launch a bullet.

Purpose

Logic most of the time.

Last edited by mrm14; 06-29-2014 at 03:59 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3517 Times on 1958 Posts
Likes Given: 19429

If for CC , the smallest power punch I can mamage . At home , anything goes .reliability , performance and something's just cause I think they look cool , like my Ruger SR lite . Looks like "Bond , James Bond" . , :

Old 06-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #8

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

function or form?

..yes.....
Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 592 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 194

I have a bad habit of personifying inanimate objects such as guns, especially handguns. Before the tragic boating accident I owned many handguns. I touch one and I get the notion I have to give it a home. Platform? I could care less. The only discriminatory rule I apply is not adding another caliber. I hand load everything I shoot and I don't want to start another caliber. There is, however, the S&W 25 LC I've been thinking about. I do have the money for it. The gun shop is open today.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

Liked 425 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Pure experimenter here. I have a string of wildcat AR's 6x45, 7x39, 22-220 russian, 20-220 russian. I use the AR platform to minimise the factors I'm juggling when I work at a new cartridge. I'm interested in varmit hunting at long ranges so I'm pushing that aspect of the platform. And NO 6.5 grendle is not good enough. Guess you could say I'm looking for 50BMG in an AR package..

Other guns, mostly function though I cant say that looks play no part.

CC I agree on power then capacity for a given concealable size. I currently carry an MP in .40SW. Best punch in that size factor.

I seldom impulse buy, except at gun shows where you only get one go around before its gone..

I'm more likely to buy an old gun with a wild idea for a custom than I am too buy something new...

I do collect for less identifiable reasons. Most of my permanant collection is WW1-WW2 sniper weapons. I guess that could be considered the romance aspect...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 06-29-2014 at 06:51 PM.
People Like This