to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
I understand. This is y i ask questions. Now i know. I asked the question cause i knew nothing about pcm's. Ive still got a problem maybe one of u can help me with cause it seems no one locally can...my truck is only throwing one code and its pcm failer...???? What do i do ive had people say its a bad pcm and ive hadem say bad voltage regulater on the alternater. Idk what to think but its seems to me that if the pcm was bad there wld b some kinda sign of something wrong but it runs better now than when i bought it and it only had 55000 original miles at that time
depends on what code is being shown. little more information is needed to determine a possible fault or problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #42

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post

Axxe is right man if wanna soup it up actually so some work on put some bigger heads and a huger lift cam and you'll really start to see some performance you won't get what your looking for on a stock motor now do the upgrades along with changing the heads and cam and then you'll have something
Any suggestions on a cam? I found a comp cam kit for about $300 is that normal or what? I also found aluminum polished heads for $500 to $800

Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #43

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88

I understand. This is y i ask questions. Now i know. I asked the question cause i knew nothing about pcm's. Ive still got a problem maybe one of u can help me with cause it seems no one locally can...my truck is only throwing one code and its pcm failer...???? What do i do ive had people say its a bad pcm and ive hadem say bad voltage regulater on the alternater. Idk what to think but its seems to me that if the pcm was bad there wld b some kinda sign of something wrong but it runs better now than when i bought it and it only had 55000 original miles at that time
There should be an option on your current programmer to 'return to stock', try that, if the the problem goes away then there could be an issue with the tune file you are using. If that's the case I'd suggest leaving it stock until you can get a new tuner or tune file for your current tuner.
Bad tune files can be bad news, based of what you describe it sounds like there may be an issue with the settings that are flashed on your PCM.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Last edited by deadsp0t; 03-08-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

depends on what code is being shown. little more information is needed to determine a possible fault or problem.
Not a problem i can get tge code with my programmer just not this late lol

Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Not a problem i didnt mean to come accross wrong either it was just a misunderstanding on both sides i believe
the engine is only capable of "X" amount of horsepower, irregardless of how many or what PCM or power programmer you put on it. to gain more than that will require rebuilding or building a new engine with more horsepower. then you can put a PCM with a different tuning stage in and realize the new horsepower.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

There should be an option on your current programmer to 'return to stock', try that, if the the problem goes away then there could be an issue
Ive thought of doing this also. It just drinks SO MUCH GAS unprogrammed lol!...5MPG!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #47

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:

Any suggestions on a cam? I found a comp cam kit for about $300 is that normal or what? I also found aluminum polished heads for $500 to $800
If its with the lifters that's not to bad depending on the brand. But you need to know all about your motor before you just throw any old cam in it. Most should fit without an issue but some require bigger springs and what not also make sure you can use it with stock pistons other wise you'll destroy your valves. Engine builds can be complicating but they are my favorite thing to do.

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-08-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #48

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:

Ive thought of doing this also. It just drinks SO MUCH GAS unprogrammed lol!...5MPG!!!!!!
The extra fuel cost 'could' pale in comparison to the potential damage to your engine.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #49

Quote:
get a Jegs, Summit or Mopar Performance catalogs and go through them. lots of parts available for those engines. crank kits to boost cubic inches, higher lift cams, freer flowing heads and bigger injectors. headers, cat-back exhaust systems and bigger intakes. lots that can be done if rebuilding or building a new engine.

or if money isn't too tight a 408 cid crate engine. drops right in. no muss, no fuss!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post

If its with the lifters that's not to bad depending on the brand. But you need to know all about your motor before you just throw any old cam in it. Most should fit without an issue but some require bigger springs and what not also make sure you can use it with stock pistons other wise you'll destroy your valves. Engine builds can be complicating but they are my favorite thing to do.
Yes the cam comes with lifters and timing chain it actually more like $275 for the kit...i wish i had a way of getting all this info so i can start buying the right parts i love working on vehicles and really wanna rebuild this motor and do it right