to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Do what you want but your wasting time and money, both of which are yours.

Enjoy.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #32

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Why? With the programmer you can alter the PCM anytime you add new stuff without needing to visit a dealer or tuner. By eliminating the programmer you'd be selling the truck for gas money.
Yes i would be selling it for gas money lol it gets 10 mpg programmed and 5 mpg unprogrammed. The reason i want to get rid of it is because it doesnt do alot. Yes it helps turn 37s alot and i have better throttle responce and quite a bit more torque but it doesnt really tune u just go through a cple questions and boom its programmed. Do u know of a better programmer/tuner?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88

Yes i would be selling it for gas money lol it gets 10 mpg programmed and 5 mpg unprogrammed. The reason i want to get rid of it is because it doesnt do alot. Yes it helps turn 37s alot and i have better throttle responce and quite a bit more torque but it doesnt really tune u just go through a cple questions and boom its programmed. Do u know of a better programmer/tuner?
SCT or Diablo, most dodge guys go Diablo from what I understand. Preprogrammed PCM or tuner is only going to do so much. BOTH need to be adjusted for your combo of mods including aftermarket heads cam etc. once you go past simple bolt on mods and 'build' an engine any PCM, stock or otherwise will need to be tuned using a wheel Dyno to insure the timing, A/F etc are correct and within 'safe' ranges.

I would not worry about tuning/programing/flashing the PCM until your engine is ready to install. Once installed take it to a Dyno shop and they will advise which tuning programs they offer and offer you a selection of which hand held tuners you can use. Once tuned you stick the hand held in the glove box, closet, garage or wherever as you won't need it unless you add more stuff.

DISCE PATI

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #34

Quote:

SCT or Diablo, most dodge guys go Diablo from what I understand. Preprogrammed PCM or tuner is only going to do so much. BOTH need to be adjusted for your combo of mods including aftermarket heads cam etc. once you go past simple bolt on mods and 'build' an engine any PCM, stock or otherwise will need to be tuned using a wheel Dyno to insure the timing, A/F etc are correct and within 'safe' ranges.

I would not worry about tuning/programing/flashing the PCM until your engine is ready to install. Once installed take it to a Dyno shop and they will advise which tuning programs they offer and offer you a selection of which hand held tuners you can use. Once tuned you stick the hand held in the glove box, closet, garage or wherever as you won't need it unless you add more stuff.
Point taken. I didnt know diablo or sct made i tuner for 360's?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Deadspot is quite right about what he's saying. even an OEM PCM can be reflashed to compliment the newer changes in your engine. to realize the full potential of the engine, trans, gear ratios, and tires, it will have to be tuned on a chassis dyno.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #36

Quote:

Point taken. I didnt know diablo or sct made i tuner for 360's?
A quick google search turned this up,
http://www.hemifevertuning.com/SCT_p/sct-can.htm
I can't personally vouch for the quality of this particular vendor as I'm a Ford guy.

I can tell you that most Dyno shops I've encountered either use SCT or Diablo, not too many use both which is why I suggested researching a Dyno shop in your area because if you buy the tuner first you may limit your options in shops.
This link says 'minor bolt ons' keep in mind that's for the preloaded tunes, a Dyno shop will be able to write new ones for your new engine using the same device.
Used devices are available via CL or eBay, if you buy used be sure the device is 'unmarried'. If not its not worth the hassle, either way I advise you buy new.

Sorry to have come off harsh but this is something I know a little something about and have seen ppl waste hundreds of dollars for nothing, I wish that upon no one and am only trying to offer experienced advise.

DISCE PATI

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Deadspot is quite right about what he's saying. even an OEM PCM can be reflashed to compliment the newer changes in your engine. to realize the full potential of the engine, trans, gear ratios, and tires, it will have to be tuned on a chassis dyno.
I understand. This is y i ask questions. Now i know. I asked the question cause i knew nothing about pcm's. Ive still got a problem maybe one of u can help me with cause it seems no one locally can...my truck is only throwing one code and its pcm failer...???? What do i do ive had people say its a bad pcm and ive hadem say bad voltage regulater on the alternater. Idk what to think but its seems to me that if the pcm was bad there wld b some kinda sign of something wrong but it runs better now than when i bought it and it only had 55000 original miles at that time

Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #38

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

you're not going to see a huge difference over the programmer you already have. the Mopar Performance PCM isn't going to be any different that your stock PCM with a power programmer on it.

there's only so much you can get out of the engine as it is. to build more horsepower, you are going to have to start from the inside out. pistons, crank, rods, camshaft, heads, intake, ect., ect.,,,,

buy a 408 CI Magnum crate engine for it.
100% right on couldn't have said it better myself those PCM upgrades will never give you want bigger heads or a bigger camshaft
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #39

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:

Thats the idea... thats what im doing...i can get plenty of horse power and a hell of alota torque out of this motor those who disagree dont know much about mopar built performance 360's
Axxe is right man if wanna soup it up actually put some work in to it put some bigger heads and a higher lift cam and you'll really start to see some performance you won't get what your looking for on a stock motor now do the upgrades along with changing the heads and cam and then you'll have something

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-08-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #40

Quote:

A quick google search turned this up,
http://www.hemifevertuning.com/SCT_p/sct-can.htm
I can't personally vouch for the quality of this particular vendor as I'm a Ford guy.

I can tell you that most Dyno shops I've encountered either use SCT or Diablo, not too many use both which is why I suggested researching a Dyno shop in your area because if you buy the tuner first you may limit your options in shops.
This link says 'minor bolt ons' keep in mind that's for the preloaded tunes, a Dyno shop will be able to write new ones for your new engine using the same device.
Used devices are available via CL or eBay, if you buy used be sure the device is 'unmarried'. If not its not worth the hassle, either way I advise you buy new.

Sorry to have come off harsh but this is something I know a little something about and have seen ppl waste hundreds of dollars for nothing, I wish that upon no one and am only trying to offer experienced advise.
Not a problem i didnt mean to come accross wrong either it was just a misunderstanding on both sides i believe