Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help

Im looking to upgrade the computer on my truck but idk exactly which one to buy. Has anyone bought one or know which one i need...its for a 98 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with a 360 and auto trans... and a 6" lift turning 37s amomg alot of other things if that matters... any help will be greatly appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #2

Ive looked at some that says its for a 360 and auto trans but ive heard your vin # and stuff matters. Idk if your gear ratio and size of truck matters or what im just lost lol

Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2640 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1170

I was looking at doing something like that with my 98 Durango.

Bought a 2009 Nissan Titan instead.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88
Im looking to upgrade the computer on my truck but idk exactly which one to buy. Has anyone bought one or know which one i need...its for a 98 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with a 360 and auto trans... and a 6" lift turning 37s amomg alot of other things if that matters... any help will be greatly appreciated
What do you mean upgrade the computer? There's are several control modules on a 98 dodge? If you are referring to the PCM what do you mean by upgrade what is your goal here? After all it's not a diesel you can't just tweak your injection pump (which you don't have by the way) and chip the PCM.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-07-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

I want to replace the factory pcm to a mopar high performance it makes a huge difference in power

Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #6

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88
I want to replace the factory pcm to a mopar high performance it makes a huge difference in power
I'm no Dodge or Mopar guy, but in the Ford world we use handheld programmers made by SCT and Diablo to adjust the settings in the ECU.
These programmers in the right hands are almost limitless and can be adjusted as mods are added via email from tuners.. These are preferred over swapping the actual ECU/PCM because you can achieve the same results at a fraction of the cost and do it yourself with zero down time.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #7

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Not only will it adjust the ignition timing(you'll need premium fuel) but being you have an auto it will adjust shift points(RPM) and shift firmness too.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19824 Times on 11257 Posts
Likes Given: 49973

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
Ive looked at some that says its for a 360 and auto trans but ive heard your vin # and stuff matters. Idk if your gear ratio and size of truck matters or what im just lost lol
best solution. just buy a power programmer and upload it into your PCM. put on a cat-back exhaust system and a cool air intake kit. that's about the extent of what you can do without going into the motor and putting in a bigger camshaft, higher C/R pistons, better heads or porting and polishinch your stock ones.

side note. most all the PCM's are the same for most of the Dodges. the only difference is the software that's flashed into them. and this would have to be done at the Dodge dealership.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

I'm no Dodge or Mopar guy, but in the Ford world we use handheld programmers made by SCT and Diablo to adjust the settings in the ECU.
These programmers in the right hands are almost limitless and can be adjusted as mods are added via email from tuners.. These are preferred over swapping the actual ECU/PCM because you can achieve the same results at a fraction of the cost and do it yourself with zero down time.
I have a hypertech programmer allready among other things i just want to get rid of the brain thats keeping my truck from doing what im in the process building it to do

Old 03-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Not only will it adjust the ignition timing(you'll need premium fuel) but being you have an auto it will adjust shift points(RPM) and shift firmness too.
I allready have to run premium because ive allready programmed it