Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/all-you-dodge-guys-out-there-i-need-littlr-help-86016/)

shooter88 03-07-2013 09:26 PM

to all of you dodge guys out there i need a littlr help

Im looking to upgrade the computer on my truck but idk exactly which one to buy. Has anyone bought one or know which one i need...its for a 98 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with a 360 and auto trans... and a 6" lift turning 37s amomg alot of other things if that matters... any help will be greatly appreciated:)

shooter88 03-07-2013 09:29 PM

Ive looked at some that says its for a 360 and auto trans but ive heard your vin # and stuff matters. Idk if your gear ratio and size of truck matters or what im just lost lol

danf_fl 03-07-2013 09:40 PM

I was looking at doing something like that with my 98 Durango.

Bought a 2009 Nissan Titan instead. :)

gearhead396 03-07-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88
Im looking to upgrade the computer on my truck but idk exactly which one to buy. Has anyone bought one or know which one i need...its for a 98 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with a 360 and auto trans... and a 6" lift turning 37s amomg alot of other things if that matters... any help will be greatly appreciated:)

What do you mean upgrade the computer? There's are several control modules on a 98 dodge? If you are referring to the PCM what do you mean by upgrade what is your goal here? After all it's not a diesel you can't just tweak your injection pump (which you don't have by the way) and chip the PCM.

shooter88 03-08-2013 12:25 AM

I want to replace the factory pcm to a mopar high performance it makes a huge difference in power

deadsp0t 03-08-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88
I want to replace the factory pcm to a mopar high performance it makes a huge difference in power

I'm no Dodge or Mopar guy, but in the Ford world we use handheld programmers made by SCT and Diablo to adjust the settings in the ECU.
These programmers in the right hands are almost limitless and can be adjusted as mods are added via email from tuners.. These are preferred over swapping the actual ECU/PCM because you can achieve the same results at a fraction of the cost and do it yourself with zero down time.

deadsp0t 03-08-2013 12:37 AM

Not only will it adjust the ignition timing(you'll need premium fuel) but being you have an auto it will adjust shift points(RPM) and shift firmness too.

Axxe55 03-08-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88 (Post 1167692)
Ive looked at some that says its for a 360 and auto trans but ive heard your vin # and stuff matters. Idk if your gear ratio and size of truck matters or what im just lost lol

best solution. just buy a power programmer and upload it into your PCM. put on a cat-back exhaust system and a cool air intake kit. that's about the extent of what you can do without going into the motor and putting in a bigger camshaft, higher C/R pistons, better heads or porting and polishinch your stock ones.

side note. most all the PCM's are the same for most of the Dodges. the only difference is the software that's flashed into them. and this would have to be done at the Dodge dealership.

shooter88 03-08-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t (Post 1167888)

I'm no Dodge or Mopar guy, but in the Ford world we use handheld programmers made by SCT and Diablo to adjust the settings in the ECU.
These programmers in the right hands are almost limitless and can be adjusted as mods are added via email from tuners.. These are preferred over swapping the actual ECU/PCM because you can achieve the same results at a fraction of the cost and do it yourself with zero down time.

I have a hypertech programmer allready among other things i just want to get rid of the brain thats keeping my truck from doing what im in the process building it to do

shooter88 03-08-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsp0t (Post 1167893)
Not only will it adjust the ignition timing(you'll need premium fuel) but being you have an auto it will adjust shift points(RPM) and shift firmness too.

I allready have to run premium because ive allready programmed it