Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The all-things-budget thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If you never plan on selling the car (drive till the wheels come off), the "depreciation"/drop in resale value that hits new models in the first year or two after their sale won't really matter much over the life of the car. That said, i prefer used car dealers.
I disagree with the "new" thing.

Does not matter if your keeping it for 1 year or 15... An extra 20 to 50 percent on the purchase price is a premium you don't have to pay.

Example...

My wifes current vehicle is a 00 Montero Sport. New retail on it would have been 25k... I bought it used in 05 with 77k miles for $7200.00... That's a 61% savings! We paid it off in 20 months, have been driving it free and clear 6 of the last 8 years with nothing out of pocket besides scheduled maintenance and fuel.

With an average car payment of $500 per month... The "no payments" for the last 6 years have saved us $36,000.00...

Just saying... Thats ALOT of ammo scratch!

Tack

Less than

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-14-2013 at 03:57 AM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Another benefit of a modest vehicle is the lower taxes and insurance!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Tack, what about warranty coverage; does it hold much value to you? Did you do like i did and buy a warranty with your pre-owned car?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #24

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Baby on the way? Consider cloth diapers. They are reusable and easier than you think to clean and maintain. Kids tend to learn to use the potty quicker with them as well. My spouse and I did the math and based on diapers that you'd spend on you save close to $700 a year just by using cloth. She's kind of a naturalist so she'd say its safer for them as well.

Invest in something like the baby bullet or a blender and making baby food is SUPER simple! In most instances it's add water and blend until its mush and serve.

If you grow stuff in a garden it seriously decreases money spent at the groceries. With just a little investment of your energy.

Don't worry about saving AND paying debt at the same time. Put that into paying the debt down ASAP. You'll not only save on interest but you'll also feel better about saving.

I'm self employed so I get multiple checks and payments from different clients. Problem was sometimes they'd all pay at the same time sometimes one pays here another pays there etc. I got into the habit of immediately taking 10% and putting it into an envelope, bank account etc. after that grew I upped it to 15%. Now I'm saving 30% and it doesn't even phase me.

I find that when you're put into the situation of HAVING to tighten your belt you will. If you have a couple extra bucks lying around its EASY to spend.

Sorry for the rant. Just finished going through this myself. GOOD LUCK!!! :-D

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #25

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Tack, what about warranty coverage; does it hold much value to you? Did you do like i did and buy a warranty with your pre-owned car?
I did once... Bought the Chrysler "Super Tech" extended warranty for our first Mini Van... It was 3 years old with 40k miles on it at purchase time. The only thing to ever break on it was the automatic belt tensioner and surprise, surprise, that was one of 7 components the warranty excluded in the 17 pages of fine print.

Personally, I don't buy them anymore... With that said, my wifes mom did buy one for her "slightly" used Avalon and hers saved her from a $1200 repair so I suppose it just comes down to your comfort zone on these.

Tack

Old 03-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I did once... Bought the Chrysler "Super Tech" extended warranty for our first Mini Van... It was 3 years old with 40k miles on it at purchase time. The only thing to ever break on it was the automatic belt tensioner and surprise, surprise, that was one of 7 components the warranty excluded in the 17 pages of fine print.

Personally, I don't buy them anymore... With that said, my wifes mom did buy one for her "slightly" used Avalon and hers saved her from a $1200 repair so I suppose it just comes down to your comfort zone on these.

Tack
I've had good luck with them. The one on my Dakota bought me two transmissions before they figured out they were using the wrong fluid. (chevy dealership) The one on my Sentra has been somewhat beneficial but not as much.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #27
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
F4U, your Mom, her house didn't resemble a giant shoe perchance, did it?
Not really but I get where you are coming from. I was born in '64, mom had 2 miscarriages then my brother was born in '67. In '68 my my next brother was born he had all kinds of birth defects and lived only 2 or 3 days. I was 4 and don't really remember, then my sister was born in '72 with a hole in the muscle at the bottom of her rib cage that let her guts put pressure on her organs under her ribs after 9 hours of surgery that would have taken 15 minutes and been successful with todays technology she also died. Mom started talking to a couple of families at our church that took in foster kids and it went from there.

After my siblings deaths though Mom could not stand an empty crib in the house. When the foster kids moved on wheather back to their parents or to their adoptive parents the crib they slept in had to be taken down and stored that day. Many times if dad was out of town my brother or I tore the cribs down only to put them back together 3 days later for the next kid. But there was never an empty crib overnight at Moms house.