Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The all-things-budget thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2225 Times on 1445 Posts

Chicken, rice, are budget but healthy. Dry beans are cheaper and better for you than canned. I put beans, rice, a little cheese, and a spoonful of salsa in a burrito wrap, which I figure costs me 50 cents a piece. Cereal has a lot of nutrition for the money. Bananas and potatoes are the same. Spend extra to get wholeIf you are overweight, chances are you eat too much. Junk food is unhealthy, can cost you in medical bills, which is $. Grow a garden to eat healthier, get in shape, and save $. Shorter showers: heating water costs.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #12

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

These are great suggestions guys, keep em coming! I like the little things that go ignored....they really do add up to savings in the end

Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #13

Liked 6104 Times on 3696 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
A vacuum sealer. This lets you purchase lots of things that are on sale and large bulk packs and reseal them for storage. Oxygen absorbers in the sealed bags of things like oats and wheat greatly
Yeah, I have a vacuum sealer and use it quite a bit to freeze food I've bought on sale, like Shadamai said. I also bring my lunches to work.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #14

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 532

i try to bring my food to work, if i dont i try to bat my eyes at my co-workers for there leftovers. drive more effiecent. speed up slowly, drive 50 -55 even though the speed limit is not( that goes for higher and lower) lol.

leave lights off untill its really dark.

ask friends or reletives for any hand me downs for kids. toys, clothes, furniture. after all your kid will probly puke and break it just like any other kid.

we often make things like chili, lasagna, and soup. we will eat some and freeze the rest.. we would can but dont have the setup yet.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5616 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
.. we would can but dont have the setup yet.
There was a free app on the iphone for canning info; it is from Mother Earth News. It is worth a look. They have one on vegetable gardening too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #16
F4U

Liked 792 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
The others are right about saving a lot of money by packing your own lunches for work. Even fast food restaurants add up quickly! I often use leftovers for my lunches or buy sandwich ingredients that last the whole week. Also, stocking up on items when they are on sale can be good. For example, buy extra chicken when it is on sale and freeze some. Then you will have it when you need it instead of having to run out to the store and pay full price. I also sometimes find clothing items at the thrift store. When my brother and sister-in-law were expecting, they found a lot of good baby items at yard sales at great prices. Also, depending on where you live, you may be able to grow some of your own vegetables to save money and eat healthy. One of my coworkers even makes some of the food for her baby by pureeing fresh fruits and vegetables. Hope some of these ideas might help!
I watch the sales especially for meat, I hate prepackaged lunch meat and most of the lunch meat that comes from the grocery store deli too. A nice ham for Sunday dinner will leave a lot of left overs, some for the freezer and some for ham sandwiches for lunches this week. A large beef roast is very good for dinner and then sandwhiches too. I haven't really priced it out but I believe this is cheaper by the pound than lunch meat and you are going to cook Sunday dinner anyhow.

On the fresh fruit and veggies. My ex mother in law always had big gardens. She had a bumper crop of carrots the year her son was born, she fed him so much pureed carrotts he actually turned orange, got good eyesight though.

Somebody mentioned hand me down clothes, but don't forget cribs and all of the other stuff kids grow out of before they wear them out. Mom had over 100 foster kids none older that 2 when she got them, she never wore out a crib, or a changing table, or a car seat, and a lot of baby clothes went through a bunch of kids before they wore out.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #17

F4U, your Mom, her house didn't resemble a giant shoe perchance, did it?

GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #18

Liked 3677 Times on 1813 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Saving Money for the "Baby on the Way"...

1. Sack Lunch and a Thermos instead of eating out and Starbucks
2. Second Hand Stores "For all things Baby"... People I know are honestly shocked that I buy my kids toys at Good Will. They don't know the difference... it looks and works like new, and I don't have to loose my tempter trying to remove it from the "Chinese Cargo Strap Packaging".
3. Mobile Media Devices... "I" have a beautiful I Phone 4 "courtesy of the companies dime"... the wife and kids get standard text phones.

Number 4... and this is the BIG ONE... Cars... There is absolutely NO investment value in ANY automobile most of us will ever own. You don't need a new one every 3 years, or 5 years, or 10 years... and when you do buy one... if you can't pay if off in 3 years or less... YOUR LOOKING AT TOO MUCH CAR!

Buy used, have a mechanic check it out, service it regularly, and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Tack

Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #19

Liked 145 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Saving Money for the "Baby on the Way"...

Number 4... and this is the BIG ONE... Cars... There is absolutely NO investment value in ANY automobile most of us will ever own. You don't need a new one every 3 years, or 5 years, or 10 years... and when you do buy one... if you can't pay if off in 3 years or less... YOUR LOOKING AT TOO MUCH CAR!

Buy used, have a mechanic check it out, service it regularly, and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Tack
Disagree. Buy new and take care of it. The first vehicle I bought was a 77 Toyota pickup. I had 235,000-miles and 24-years on it as my daily driver before it finally wouldn't pass smog and I bought the current minivan in 2001. The minivan now has 134,000 on it, the goal is another 7-years.

Other vehicles in my fleet are:

A 69, F250 bought originally by my Dad (he and I are the only ones to ever turn a wrench on it), it is at 285,000 and I need to do a full overhaul of the suspension, brakes, and drivetrain. But it has never been hit, and is rust free.

An 89 full size Bronco showing 76,000 on the odometer. It was originally owned by the service manager of a Ford dealership, then by his son who was a line mechanic at a different Ford dealer, which is who I bought it from. He had put a Rancho lift kit with brand new tires and wheels on it and installed a new crate motor and transmission four months before I bought it. He sold it to me when his wife got pregnant and he was selling toys to furnish a nursery. I use it for trips to the range and hunting/camping and only put about 500-miles a year on it, so I expect it to outlast me.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #20

If you never plan on selling the car (drive till the wheels come off), the "depreciation"/drop in resale value that hits new models in the first year or two after their sale won't really matter much over the life of the car. That said, i prefer used car dealers.