Ak-47 or AR-15 BATTLE OF THE AGES
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ak-47 or AR-15 BATTLE OF THE AGES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Default Ak-47 or AR-15 BATTLE OF THE AGES

So I've been thinking i really want a new gun and am yet to own an ak or an ar. so how about it everyone, whats better in your personal opinion the AK or the AR. Good time to share some war stories and personal excperiences with the two!

Have Gun....Will Travel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oh boy!! You're opening Pandora's box on this one haha! "this" vs "that" conversations usually lead to drama

For the record i have an AR-15 and i love it! It's a very fun, easy to maintain platform. I do plan on adding an AK to my inventory at some point in time.

In stock forms:

Accuracy:I'd give the edge to the AR
Reliability:I'd give the edge to the AK

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I own several of each. Get an AR.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #4

these threads can workout fine as long as people dont play ignorant and stupid. i.e. "this hurs 'Emerica! git an AR!". and the dumbass stories on either side that are completely false as all balls. this is an example of a proper comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
Accuracy:I'd give the edge to the AR
Reliability:I'd give the edge to the AK
as long as people dont bash my AK "it cant hit nuttin after 50 yds!" i wont spread the fact AR's go out late at night and rape people.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #5

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

AR15 very customizable more accurate and farther range then the AK. The AK has better stopping power and more reliable. CQB throw me a AK, everything else a AR. There both fun as hell to shoot, to be honest I prefer an AK74U with a side folding stock.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #6

I own an AK-47 and the only draw back for me, which can be remedied by buying the parts, is a thumb safety like the AR-15. The main thing to keep in consideration is that every shooter is different. So with that in mind you can take our suggestions but its going to fall on what feels right to you. My AK-47 is outfitted with a colapseable stock like the AR-15 as well as new tapco trigger and a bigger fore end made of plastic which makes it easier to hold on to. As far as shooting distance, I can hit a target 300 meters out, that is 328 yards with my AK-47. While in the military I could do the same with an M-16. Sometimes its the shooter that sucks not the weapon lol. Another key thing to remember is weight. Now I doubt anyone on here carries a standard combat load which is 210 rounds of ammunition but if they do then they want the .223 or 5.56 round because it is lighter over all to carry then the 7.62x39. Again I don't think anyone on here does that unless they are in the military and already in a combat zone lol. So I would suggest doing some un-biased research as well as go to stores that sell both kinds of weapons and see how they feel. Each one has its own set of capabilities and both these days are highly customizeable, BUT here is where I get biased lmao! The AK-47 has a more lose inside for the bolt, plunger, and bolt carrier. The AR-15 has a very tight fitting set up for its bolt. If dirt gets into the internal workings of an AK-47 it will shrug it off and keep going. If the AR-15 gets even a mild case of crud in it the calm thing wont work at all lol. Again this is my own opinion but you'll find plenty of soldiers that say the same thing lol. Take care and let us know what you settled on. Later!!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2951 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Think about the parent weapons of each (M-16 and AKM)

The M-16 is a rifle with a full auto option.

THe AKM is a Machine Gun that has a semi-auto option.

The safety/selector on the M-16 goes from safe to semi to full-auto. It is very accurate to ranges in excess of 300 meters.

The safety/selector on the AKM goes safe to full-auto to semi-auto. It is reasonably accurate to perhaps 200 meters.

Most AR's are direct impingement, that is to say gasses are fed into the upper receiver which cycles the gun. This can carry fouling into the action even though that fouling rarely causes reliability issues. The DI system is lighter and uses fewer parts than the AK. It also probably contributes to the accuracy of the rifle with less mass banging around shaking things around.

AK's are gas piston operated. The gasses are vented off far from the receiver. AK's have generous tolerances (are kind of sloppy). This allows them to run even when exposed to adverse conditions like mud, sand and neglect. This also contributes to lack of pinpoint accuracy. They were designed as a fire superiority weapon (spray and pray). Soldiers with minimal training and skill can overcome an adversary by shooting at the adversary with A LOT of bullets.

I own both platforms, but prefer the AR.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Think about the parent weapons of each (M-16 and AKM)

The M-16 is a rifle with a full auto option.

THe AKM is a Machine Gun that has a semi-auto option.

The safety/selector on the M-16 goes from safe to semi to full-auto. It is very accurate to ranges in excess of 300 meters.

The safety/selector on the AKM goes safe to full-auto to semi-auto. It is reasonably accurate to perhaps 200 meters.

Most AR's are direct impingement, that is to say gasses are fed into the upper receiver which cycles the gun. This can carry fouling into the action even though that fouling rarely causes reliability issues. The DI system is lighter and uses fewer parts than the AK. It also probably contributes to the accuracy of the rifle with less mass banging around shaking things around.

AK's are gas piston operated. The gasses are vented off far from the receiver. AK's have generous tolerances (are kind of sloppy). This allows them to run even when exposed to adverse conditions like mud, sand and neglect. This also contributes to lack of pinpoint accuracy. They were designed as a fire superiority weapon (spray and pray). Soldiers with minimal training and skill can overcome an adversary by shooting at the adversary with A LOT of bullets.

I own both platforms, but prefer the AR.
Again it all falls under personal preference lol. The AK-47 for civilian use is only safe to semi-auto unless you have a class III weapons permit which costs $3,000.00 for first payment then $500.00 every year to keep it current. You are right on the "Parent" scenario but being a war veteran myself and my father as well, the AK-47 can be used as fire superiority or as you call it spray and pray, but in the right hands it can have precision. Again it falls onto the shooter lol. There are stories from WWII of people preceding their 1911 over their rifle. To me that is totally insane BUT it falls on the shooter and what they are comfortable with. Both weapon systems are awesome and have a place at the table of hardest weapons around but I truly truly hope that the individual that is wondering about which one to get realizes that the true choice has to be made by him/her and our posts are merely our opinions :-). I do enjoy a great debate lol. One of the other issues is the fact that the AR-15 can even be converted to shoot .22 long rifle which is a total money saver where as the AK-47 doesn't really have that ability or at least I've never seen it lol. So its something else to think about. Also the AR-15 if cared for properly WILL last a long time but I always think that people in civilian life don't treat their weapons like soldiers do in the military which is why I tell most that have never had experience with either weapon to lean toward the ak because just as the gentleman I quoted has said the AK platform is more open. My last little stab lol, also consider the fact that the new AR-15's are starting to adapt the piston technology into the build lol. Makes ya think lmao!! I hope this is all taken in fun. I think both platforms are Awesomesauce lol

Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #9

Just wanted to post a picture of my baby lmao! The paint job is walmart krylon paint lol. I work on a fixed income. Don't judge me lol!

forumrunner_20110817_060133.jpg  

Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

To the Hell with them both, buy a SKS.